Possible Fuel pump or something simpler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rndom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Keep in mind I’m not mechanic savvy with my hands, book smart, but not hands on. Bare with me please.

4.7l v8 136k On It

For a while now, I’ve noticed my battery gauge will dip down from middle To in between middle and low, when at idle at A red light and the truck will idle semi rough. Not for long though, maybe a 30-45 seconds, then will go back to normal idle at 500 rpms. Most tell me battery or alternator, no biggie, I’ve got the money and I’m going to take care of my truck as much as possible. So I buy a new alternator. Had it checked 4 times along with the battery, everything a ok. Well, same symptoms , just not as bad. I had a k&n air filter, changed it to a regular fram filter thinking maybe the oily substance could have gotten on the mas sensor. Well apparently my dodge has a iat sensor and no mas sensor, unless that’s the same.?. Haven’t gotten to cleaning yet.So I look up sensors and I buy a new iat and map sensor. Haven’t changed them yet due to being busy with work. Then I think maybe TB, but it’s not sticky, Wouldn’t hurt to clean that either though.
Well tonight i Noticed it’s getting back to that in between stage on my battery gauge again. I hooked up on the computer at work(Budweiser) asking my mechanic coworker to give me a hand. No codes or anything what so ever. He suggest the possibility of fuel pump, early stages of going bad, maybe.
I don’t lose any gas mileage, I do lose power going up a bridge though. It’s not that yet, but my gut tells me that I’m running out of time.
Any helpful thoughts? I’m all ears

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t believe it’s a fuel pump. My 07 hemi Ram does the same thing. Alternator and battery are brand new. Changing MAP sensor helped a little for me but I was loosing mpg. I would clean the throttle body and check and clean all your ground wires.

OP
OP
R

Rndom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
It’s worth a shot. I’m not big on wires here, how many ground wires?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Battery to block, battery to fender. There are grounds on the back of heads to cab (usually broken/ rotted) passenger side rear cab to frame. I added a ground from alternator to battery. Unhook and scotchbrite them and put lithium grease on them. Clean both positive and negative battery posts and cables on the battery also.

OP
OP
R

Rndom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Thanks, I will do all this this weekend and let you know. I hope it’s this simple. I can only buy few things at a time. Got to start some where’s.

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
How many miles on the fuel filter? If you suspect a fuel delivery problem that's where I would start if it has some miles on it. Also....check fuel pressure before throwing a pump at it. I'm new to dodge and don't see where you listed the year so I'm not sure what your fuel pressure should be.....~58-59psi would be my guess but you can Google fuel pressure for your model year.

Normally if you're having a fuel delivery issue it shows up.more so when under load but no so much at idle. Not unheard of....just wouldn't be my first guess. Any other symptoms you can think of off hand? How many miles on the spark plugs? Could it just be a miss?

OP
OP
R

Rndom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Orion, 2008
I’m not having mpg problems Per se, one of the mechanics at work said it could be a possibility. As far as the fuel pump, I can’t buy it separately. It’s all in one. Everywhere’s I’ve looked and asked I’ve been told that. I sometimes feel like my truck was made on a Friday before closing on the assembly line. I’ve been driving my truck brand new from day one for the past 11 years now. Something is definitely not right. Spark plugs and wires have been changed about 15 k ago. The only symptoms I have is what I originally posted. The pressure is 58 on it by the way.
I believe karlsweg has me on the right hunt. But I’m always on open ears.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also run a good fuel injector cleaner like amsoil in the gas tank might help also. I did this too. Cheaper doing the free stuff and going from there in my opinion. Nothing worse then throwing parts at it. It might not be a bad idea to take a look at the egr valve. Mine didn’t throw a code but would stall sometimes. It was very dirty probably could have cleaned it but bought a new one.

OP
OP
R

Rndom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Where is the egr valve located? Would mas cleaner do? Also when checking the wires, let’s say I just wanted to replace them all together, insulated 14 gauge wire?

OP
OP
R

Rndom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I tried adding a video from my phone of the battery gauge showing it, but it wouldn’t let me. Says file is to big. Only a 43 second vid

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is the egr valve located? Would mas cleaner do? Also when checking the wires, let’s say I just wanted to replace them all together, insulated 14 gauge wire?
MAS cleaner would do nothing as you have a MAP sensor, save your money.

Ttrue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same problem ended up being a bad connection on my battery terminal.

OP
OP
R

Rndom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Bought a blue driver obd, map sensor, idle tensioner, bad ground wire....thanks for all the help fellas. Really appreciate it. Will be a regular member for now on

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That blue driver is a pretty solid reader for $100. Tough to get one that reads abs, airbag, and does live data for $100. I have an older actron, efilive, and hptuners which all were way over $100 and none read airbag or abs codes

OP
OP
R

Rndom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I have the FIXD one as well, it does show live data, but not as much. Both useful, but it did help me narrow down almost to a T.