Possible Odometer Roll Back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
tenor.gif

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
you're close but keep in mind this is a can-bus network not a tcp-ip one :)
The network makes no difference. A 16 bit register filled with 1s is equal to 65535 or 32767 if 0 is represented as the middle nunber (quite common in PLC programming)

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The network type makes no difference to the processor or other logic architecture that may be driving the display.
isn't 65535 the total number of byte accesible memory ?...what does it have to do with displaying it on the odometer. i can see a way to show it in a crash or a boot log but not om a display.

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The network type makes no difference to the processor or other logic architecture that may be driving the display. If it is a 16 bit architecture, then 65535 would be a 16 bit register filled with 1's. Nothing to do with TCP/IP ports.
as far as I know the odometer doesn't do processing but it displays data from bcm and ecm.

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
as far as I know the odometer doesn't do processing but it displays data from bcm and ecm.
The odometer reading is stored on the cluster not the BCM. That's why when people swap clusters the milage changes. The BCM does most things but milage and hours is done on the cluster.

The reason you see that number when new or after a flash is because the register is full of 1s.

16x 1s in register is 65535 when displayed in decimal.

There is actual a few other things stores in cluster and not the BCM like screen settings and graphics related to cluster display.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The odometer reading is stored on the cluster not the BCM. That's why when people swap clusters the milage changes. The BCM does most things but milage and hours is done on the cluster.

The reason you see that number when new or after a flash is because the register is full of 1s.

16x 1s in register is 65535 when displayed in decimal.

There is actual a few other things stores in cluster and not the BCM like screen settings and graphics related to cluster display.

This, but the mileage is also stored in other onboard computers. If I'm not mistaken the transmission has it's own record of mileage and I believe it's stored elsewhere too.

It would be nice if it were just a readout, I believe it's not due to laws that state mileage must be stored in the "odometer"...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

NWhunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk