possible oil leak sources

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was replacing a heater hose this afternoon in my driveway when i encountered something ive never seen before. When i started the truck up to check for any other coolant leaks i noticed a big puddle of oil gathering under the oil pan, like i had changed the oil and forgot to put the plug back in. By the time i got out of the engine bay and shut the truck off id say about a gallon had spilled from the truck. The leak stops completely when the engine is off and given the rate at which it was flowing im assuming its coming from a pressurized source. It looks like its coming from behind the intake manifold but i wanted to get an idea of possible causes before i start tearing into it again looking for leaks. I thought it might be the rear seal but wasn't sure if itd stop with the engine shut off. Plus the oil starts above where the rear seal is located. Its not a head gasket or anything and there isnt any coolant in the oil or vice versa. So if anyone has some insight into what i might be facing id greatly appreciate it.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
:oops: .

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Oil pressure sending unit? I'll be honest, don't even know where it is located on the newer engines. In the old days (can't believe I can say that) that was the usual suspect in the area you described.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I can't picture any pressurized oil line up that high on the block.

This only happened after the heater hose replacement?

OP
OP
Kilo

Kilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yea, I’ve been trying to figure if the oil leak could stem from that repair but I can’t make any connection. I removed the intake manifold and noticed a lot of oil puddled up where the MDS solenoids used to be.(capped off now). And the manifold gaskets looked terrible. Like they were burnt or something. I’m not familiar with the different components inside the intake manifold but it seems to be the source of the leak.

Any ideas what might have spewed the oil?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Would almost have to be at one of the MDS solenoid block off plates or the oil control valve.

The only other things up that high are head gasket or valve cover gasket.

OP
OP
Kilo

Kilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just an update, and EdGs was on target. It was my MDS block off plugs. I figured they weren’t a critical engine component like lifters or camshafts, so I went the cheap route and ordered from e-bay. Well, ya get what you pay for. The o-rings were all flattened out and doing absolutely nothing in terms of holding pressure. Lesson learned.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When you replace these, would you post some pics showing how the existing ones were leaking, and differences between those and the new replacements?

Just curious as to how they differ. That could have had a very bad outcome had you not caught it how and when you did.

Scary stuff.

OP
OP
Kilo

Kilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Man I’m sorry I just saw the post asking for pics. My apologies,

The actual plugs didn’t look bad but every single o-ring was completely shot. Almost like someone pieced it together with rings that fit but weren’t rated for the heat/pressure ?

The new ones are installed and they looked similar. I can’t recall exactly how the old o-rings looked prior to failure, but so far the new sets holding up. Needless to say I’m doing frequent inspections every chance I get.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Man I’m sorry I just saw the post asking for pics. My apologies,

The actual plugs didn’t look bad but every single o-ring was completely shot. Almost like someone pieced it together with rings that fit but weren’t rated for the heat/pressure ?

The new ones are installed and they looked similar. I can’t recall exactly how the old o-rings looked prior to failure, but so far the new sets holding up. Needless to say I’m doing frequent inspections every chance I get.
No problem at all

Strange, about the condition of the o-rings. They must've been really degraded from the heat.

Really ticks me off that someone is able to make/sell something like that. Sounds like the leak was a massive one. Would not have taken long to do some damage to your engine.