Possible trade in for a 2021 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good evening everyone. I am going truck shopping tomorrow here in northern Florida. I am hoping to upgrade my 18 Ram 1500 sport 5.7 quad cab 4x4 to either a big horn or laramie crew cab 5.7 4x4 with either the sport or night packages. With the current truck shortage carmax offered me 35k for my current ram which is the only reason I am entertaining getting a new truck. My question is for you 5th gen owners are there any obvious issues I need to look for prior to selecting a truck i.e. leaking 3rd brake light, shotty paint on the doors or cab (I experienced this first hand when I bought my 18). Also what is the general consensus on the etorque motors? I am hesitant on getting one because it's more that could break later down the road but I am open for input on this. Lastly what have some of you who recently purchased been paying in compared to MSRP? I am not asking for specific number just % above or below MSRP. It seems with the chip shortage that some dealers aren't really negotiating prices. Thanks for any inputs or advice and I will keep you all posted.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I traded my 17 Laramie in last week on a new 21 Laramie. The dealer that I use gave me 14.7K more than payoff ($34K vs $19.3K) $1K rebate off MSRP and I didn't pay for any Add-ons, so I basically didn't pay extra for the chrome Mopar steps, tinted windows, etc. Sticker was like $56K, I got some money back on a Mopar warranty and put $1500 down just to get the payment where I wanted it (at least until I refinance it with my CU) and walked out of there owing $38.8K.

As far as the paint goes it is definitely better than the earlier models but it is not perfect. I washed it and waxed it last weekend and I did find two very small pieces if trash in the paint but that was it so pretty good overall. Just for the hell of it I took the 3rd brake light cover off and the gasket was top notch, I don't see how it could ever leak because its miles better than the 4th gen gasket so i left it alone.

I live in the Charleston, SC area and there was literally nothing around here that I was looking for so I drove 100 plus miles to get what I wanted. None of the dealers that I talked to were willing to deal much because they didn't have hardly any inventory or only less desirable models in stock. They pretty much were firm on price because they could afford to be. My dealer actually said that they had seven new trucks on the lot and they weren't getting any more until July.

Anyway I basically paid the same for this one as I did my old Laramie back in May 2017 so that's good enough for me.

AimLowRobin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4x4 Crew Cab Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had 5 RAMs without etorque. Just picked up my second with it. Imo, it is a total non factor, neither positive or negative. Find the truck you want and if it has it...fine, if not...fine. if I was looking at 2 identical trucks, one with and one without, I would go without it. My 2020 with it did get the worst mpg of any RAM I've owned, by just a little.

AimLowRobin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4x4 Crew Cab Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as known issues....my 19 had great a/c. My 2020 a/c sucked. My 2021 is fine so far. Never had window leaks. The 2020 did have cracked manifolds. It's ginna be a toss up and I think you hear more negatives than positives by default. There is a reason I just bought my 7th RAM in a row, and I've shopped the others. Worst issues I've had is wheel bearings and the manifolds and I drive lots of miles, lift each one, and tow a lot.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Pricing wise, you could pay sticker if it is a desirable unit based on how things are. I have read 1 or 2 instances of people paying over sticker and not for the TRX. It all depends on that dealer at that time.

Recommend you do a KBB offer quote, plus also CarMax and Carvana offers. See what you can get first so you have an idea if they are shorting you on trade in. You could also take retail price and try to sell on your own. Good luck.

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for all the feed back guys I made the jump today and will be picking up this 2021 Big Horn 4x4 night edition on Friday after the finish Line-Xing the bed. I was able to get all of the main features I wanted i.e. Standard Hemi motor, Premium Lights, and trailer brake controller only sacrifice I made was not getting 3.92 gears and losing the leather trimmed seats from my 18 Sport. Overall I am extremely happy with the deal as they paid off my current truck plus some and I paid below invoice on this one. Not to start planning the mods. Does anyone know if the 2" lowering coils and helper bags that are currently on my 18 work on the new 21?

Current Ram
Ram Beach2.jpg

Soon to be New Ram
New Ram.jpg

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
If not leather is an issue you could always go Katzkin.

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If not leather is an issue you could always go Katzkin.

That is the plan eventually but I figure I will give the cloth a shot to see how I like it. The new truck has better options plus a larger cab than my current truck so I am not complaining one bit. Just can't wait until Friday gets here so I can go pick it up!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That is the plan eventually but I figure I will give the cloth a shot to see how I like it. The new truck has better options plus a larger cab than my current truck so I am not complaining one bit. Just can't wait until Friday gets here so I can go pick it up!
I feel your pain. I had to wait about 3 days from the time I told my sales rep to go forward with the dealer trade. Longest 3 nights of my life :Big Laugh:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold

It is a massive upgrade!

BlackBeauty012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the feed back guys I made the jump today and will be picking up this 2021 Big Horn 4x4 night edition on Friday after the finish Line-Xing the bed. I was able to get all of the main features I wanted i.e. Standard Hemi motor, Premium Lights, and trailer brake controller only sacrifice I made was not getting 3.92 gears and losing the leather trimmed seats from my 18 Sport. Overall I am extremely happy with the deal as they paid off my current truck plus some and I paid below invoice on this one. Not to start planning the mods. Does anyone know if the 2" lowering coils and helper bags that are currently on my 18 work on the new 21?

Current Ram
View attachment 248622

Soon to be New Ram
View attachment 248623
Did they throw in the bedliner as part of the deal or did you pay extra for it?

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing we would replace our 2018 Laramie with would be a 2500 Laramie. Considering the outrageous prices on those right now, we have NO incentive to look. Maybe in about 4 years.

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did they throw in the bedliner as part of the deal or did you pay extra for it?
I paid extra for it but they took off the extra charge for the window tint. Essentially $550 for the liner minus the $299 they were going to charge for the window tint. I can say after almost 3 weeks of owning an 1,000 miles i am very happy with my decision to move into a 5th gen crew cab. @Sndevino is right the seats in my truck are very comfortable and i don't really notice a difference. So far I have added Lasfit all weather floor mats ($100 a great deal and the product for the price), APS 5inch black step bars, a Truxedo Truxsport tonneau cover, and Xpel Paint Protection Film to the front bumper, Facia and headlights. I plan on putting my rear lowering springs with helper bags and my UPR catch can on this week before we leave for Michigan on Saturday.

Lee955i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny I came across this thread. Just today I made a deal on a 21 Big Horn. Got a decent deal, actually and got more for my 18 SLT (with 41 k miles) than I paid for it out the door 2 years ago. New truck is MUCH better appointed than my 4th gen. Picking it up tomorrow after work!!

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Funny I came across this thread. Just today I made a deal on a 21 Big Horn. Got a decent deal, actually and got more for my 18 SLT (with 41 k miles) than I paid for it out the door 2 years ago. New truck is MUCH better appointed than my 4th gen. Picking it up tomorrow after work!!

Same here I was originally worried that I would miss certain features or the looks of my 4th gen. But I can say after 3 weeks of owning it at 1,000 miles of driving it. I am very happy I made the jump. The upgrade to a crew cab by itself was more than worth it. Enjoy the new truck!

Lee955i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same here I was originally worried that I would miss certain features or the looks of my 4th gen. But I can say after 3 weeks of owning it at 1,000 miles of driving it. I am very happy I made the jump. The upgrade to a crew cab by itself was more than worth it. Enjoy the new truck!
Thanks, actually picking it up Saturday as it's actually still in transit. Should be cool!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't forget to update your new vehicle info in your personal details.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought mine at about 8% off sticker. Got a decent price for my 2016 Sport...still a bit upside down, but not bad. Had to get out of that one due to previous frame damage that I found out about after the rear axle issue came up. Warranty company would not cover some of it, so to avoid a future issue, I got out of it. My 2020 has had only one issue. Broken valve spring at 20,400 miles and of course was fixed under warranty in three days.

No leaks, no other problems and now I am sneaking up on 30k miles [I drive about 35k a year]. Bought the Ziegler 7 year unlimited mileage warranty for $2910 so I never have to worry about anything past consumables. Very happy with it and the Harmon Kardon system is epic!