Post your Front Camera Link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
oh really?....wish I had seen it first, I spent a week trying to figure out where to mount a camera.
My state requires a front license plate so it was the obvious choice for me...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where do you get this harness from? Is it labeled just like the one you pictured?

Start a conversation with @Mpgrimm2, he makes and sells them and yes it comes labeled just like in the picture I posted, very professional. That was right out of the shipping envelope.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The pigtail harness was less than $30 but very good professional quality build.

View attachment 200120
They're $23 shipped (USA) once you're on the build list ($20 if ordered with another harness). Made with Monster brand connectors, correct FCA rated wire and crimped/soldered terminals... What I'd put in my own truck. Only have parts for a few more left.
58dc481eb9f1ad99b5a757dbe7816376.jpg

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I need to start caring about my truck again, and do some of these mods.

Reactions: JB1

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@JB1 was there any particular reason you chose that camera over another? Nakita makes a slightly cheaper version with additional mount options.

this one for instance: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083SF5VVN

The one I bought just kinda “fit” for my preferred mtg location. I liked that the wire came thru the mtg bolt and only required one hole to drill so everything was tucked behind the license plate bracket for a clean look.

I bought a different flush mount camera and I tried to design a bracket that snapped into the sport grille and was shaped like the honeycomb but after several 3D prints it just didn’t look good to me so I scrapped that idea.

Just as an update my camera still works great, it’s been thru many car washings, bug guts, pressure washes and one tropical storm lol.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
@JB1 was there any particular reason you chose that camera over another? Nakita makes a slightly cheaper version with additional mount options.

this one for instance: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083SF5VVN
Thanks for this option idea. I have a camera like this that can be "force" fit into my honeycomb grill but the image is reversed and no way to change it. Since I want to use it for very close up parking last thing I need to to turn wrong way because camera is reversed lol This one is selectable. Probably put the grid lines on a switch if needed too

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I have a silly question @JB1 ... How does the camera turn on? Do you have to manually engage it through the stereo's settings, or will it come on automatically when the truck slows to a certain speed?

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using Alphaobd you add the cargo camera icon button to your controls on the 8.4 screen since it uses that input on the harness. Then when you want to use it you manually touch that icon to turn it on. To turn it off it has an “X” on the upper right of the screen. Basically the same as if you activated your reverse camera using the control screen while not in actually in the reverse gear.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Thanks.

It wasn’t difficult at all. The camera plugs into the included harness. The harness has an rca male on one end and T’s off with black/red for power/ground. All I ran into cab was the male rca which plugs into that harness from Mpgrimm2, then made the settings and boom I got a front camera. I already had AlfaOBD so my total investment on this was approx $70.

View attachment 200060

did you just go straight to battery for power?

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did you just go straight to battery for power?
IIRC....... I just connected the power input to a source that's only live when the truck is on using a fuse tap. I just grounded it to chassis using a self tapping screw. Only the RCA goes into the cab.

I bench tested this in the garage using an old small tv with RCA jacks and a DC power supply I have. One didnt look good in the dark low light garage so I returned it and got the one I have now which works good at night.

It really is a simple mod, hardest part is deciding where to mount it, the wiring and alphaobd work is easy.

Buy a camera or buy 2 or 3 and see about where they would look/work good then return the others to amazon.

Read the other guys threads I linked a few pages back because they broke the ground on this mod not me.

Last edited:

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I bought the same camera and harness you did. I think I'll tap into F95- the rear camera/park assist fuse.

Last edited:

lukslater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn't a way of configuring (using Alpha) automatic turn on alfer reverse? I know a local shop that activates that feature in 2020 1500 Clasics w/ 8.4 Screen.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Ok, how do you get the pig tail harness connectors to stay in place ... I am trying to pin them to 21 and 22 but they won't stay secured , they come out ....