Potential Buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Pentastar
Actually this is not 100% correct any more. It is a german tranny, but the 8 speed behind the V6 is licensed for Chrysler to build in the U.S. The 8 speed behind the Hemi is all German, same tranny in Mercedes, etc. There are 2 different part numbers/codes for them 845RE or DFL and the 8HP70 or DFD.

OP - As for fuel milage, if you are doing 35 miles stop and go the Hemi will be rough on gas. However if you are doing 35 miles in smooth rolling or minimal traffic and can keep your speed down around 70 then you could see 20+MPG.
They were running really good deals in my area in March. Got mine, 2019 Classic with Hemi for $330/mo 3yr/36k lease with $20740 buy-out. Not sure what deals you can find
Interesting!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Actually this is not 100% correct any more. It is a german tranny, but the 8 speed behind the V6 is licensed for Chrysler to build in the U.S. The 8 speed behind the Hemi is all German, same tranny in Mercedes, etc. There are 2 different part numbers/codes for them 845RE or DFL and the 8HP70 or DFD.

OP - As for fuel milage, if you are doing 35 miles stop and go the Hemi will be rough on gas. However if you are doing 35 miles in smooth rolling or minimal traffic and can keep your speed down around 70 then you could see 20+MPG.
They were running really good deals in my area in March. Got mine, 2019 Classic with Hemi for $330/mo 3yr/36k lease with $20740 buy-out. Not sure what deals you can find

Is the Hemi 8 speed not made in Kokomo, Indiana?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Is the Hemi 8 speed not made in Kokomo, Indiana?

I think the V6 transmission has always been made by FCA. A FCA tweaked/modified design of a German (ZF) model.

For several years after the 2013 refresh (and introduction of the 8-speed), the transmissions for the Hemi/EcoD were either made in Germany or assembled in USA with German parts. If you look at many windows stickers up through 2015/2016 model years, it will say under the country of origin: the transmission is from Germany.
Sometime around the 2016/2017 model years or so, the V8/EcoD transmissions (or at least some of them) also started being built in USA. But its a German design, licensed to FCA.

Various cars, from BMW, Mercedes, Rolls Royce, and many others have used the same transmission design that is used for the Hemi/EcoD. It is not flawless, but it is one of the best units out there.

If you are ever bored, Google the GM 8-speed issues when you get a chance, which was basically a bad-ish copy of the ZF design. Lots of issues, and there is even a class-action in the works against GM over it.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think the V6 transmission has always been made by FCA. A FCA tweaked/modified design of a German (ZF) model.

For several years after the 2013 refresh (and introduction of the 8-speed), the transmissions for the Hemi/EcoD were either made in Germany or assembled in USA with German parts. If you look at many windows stickers up through 2015/2016 model years, it will say under the country of origin: the transmission is from Germany.
Sometime around the 2016/2017 model years or so, the V8/EcoD transmissions (or at least some of them) also started being built in USA. But its a German design, licensed to FCA.

Various cars, from BMW, Mercedes, Rolls Royce, and many others have used the same transmission design that is used for the Hemi/EcoD. It is not flawless, but it is one of the best units out there.

If you are ever bored, Google the GM 8-speed issues when you get a chance, which was basically a bad-ish copy of the ZF design. Lots of issues, and there is even a class-action in the works against GM over it.

Mine is a 2015 and window sticker says USA for tranny. I definitely love it even with some of it's quirks. Pretty minimal compared to some manufacturers. Some people say Daimler's involvement with Chrysler had negative results but I beg to differ. The LX cars are great and I am not so sure the Ram would have a ZF (Zed-F!) without their prior ownership.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Mine is a 2015 and window sticker says USA for tranny.

Very cool. My father's 2015 says Germany for the transmission, so maybe middle or end of 2015 was the cut-over period where they started getting mixed.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Very cool. My father's 2015 says Germany for the transmission, so maybe middle or end of 2015 was the cut-over period where they started getting mixed.

I didn't know any were made in Germany for Ram. I always figured the new plants stateside were making the 8HP70. Today I saw a Tacoma with made in Texas on the back glass. Glad we are bringing things back here where they belong. Too bad the engine is made in Mey-hee-co.