potential issues when using LED lights in dash (90 D150 3.9L)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently replaced my dash lights with LED lights. Within 5 minutes of doing so, my headlights parking lights and running lights quit working. Any chance the LED lights caused this?

OP
OP
imtonydillard

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Based on my research, the only fuses are located under the steering wheel on this model. All fuses are good. Additionally, I replaced the fusible link with inline fuses a few weeks ago and they are good too.

While installing a new headlight relay switch, I came across this thing. I can't determine what it's to or what it does. It's very hot and the truck has not been on for 3+ hours. Could this be my problem?pic.jpg

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
nope that this is not the issue. it only gets power when your doors are open. it usually keeps the key light on for a few seconds after you open or close a door. your issue is most likely a faulty switch. there is a built in circuit breaker in the headlight switch for the headlights.

OP
OP
imtonydillard

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a new headlight relay switch and it did not fix my problem. I then rechecked my red and white wire from the bulkhead to the battery and it has no power. Any thoughts on next steps? If they involve checking grounds, please advise where you think these might be located.

OP
OP
imtonydillard

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the fusible link a few weeks ago with inline fuses and they are good.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
how many fusible links did you replace? pretty sure the red wire with the white stripe should run straight to a fusible link under the hood.

OP
OP
imtonydillard

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the entire duck bill fusible link a few weeks ago. All was working fine until last weekend when I replaced the dash lights with LED lights.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
If you have no power to the red wire with white stripe you might want to recheck your wiring to it. Something must have come loose or gone bad

OP
OP
imtonydillard

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just checked, no power from red/white wire outside the bulkhead to the battery.

However, rear running lights and reverse lights turn on with the key turned on and regardless of the headlight relay switch in the on or off position. Man, I’ve really got this thing screwed up.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
is there power at the fuse you installed for it? sounds like you might also have a bad ground and possibly a couple other issue since the backup lights are coming on

OP
OP
imtonydillard

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
crazzywolfie - Mega thanks. My dyslexia is getting worse. I was searching for the problem beginning at the switch. After reading your last post I started with the battery and shortly (pun intended) realized the issue is the inline fuse. All is working well now, thanks to you.