Potential truck owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
New to The Forum, have my eye on the rebel. Never owned the truck, but want one for basic everyday use and some weekend hauling/light duties. Would the basic V6 engine be enough? Don't have a trailer and might get a 24 foot trailer in the future but not a sure thing. Do any of you guys recommend an engine size if you're going to use the truck for everyday commute and travel and maybe rare hauling?
Thank you

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the 5.7 Hemi and I absolutely love it..i dont have any experience with the V6 trucks...

You are in California?

Do you deal with LA traffic on a daily commute? If this is the case you might want to lean towards the V6

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to RamForum. I have a '17 Rebel with the 3.6. I no longer tow heavy, so it suited me fine. For my occasional towing needs, I ordered the truck with a 3.92 rear. I pull a two horse trailer from time to time, all in it's about 4000# +/-. If you buy your truck first, that will make your trailer decision for you as far as TT weight is concerned. The 3.6 has the largest payload but the least HP, and filling up the bed with plywood or drywall or junk is no problem for the motor.. As a daily driver, you will not see a huge increase in MPG between the 3.6 and the 5.7, depending on how you drive and so on (if that's a concern).

OP
OP
G

George2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Awesome, thank you all yes in CA and very little LA traffic mostly 15-20 FWY miles per day; hopefully SOON TO LEAVE CA!!

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greetings, in my days in the service to Uncle Sam I spent two tours in Southern Cali. I didn't just move ... I escaped.
Anyway, you will get a ton of "you ain't a man if you don't drive a Hemi" but truth be told if you are even remotely considering towing in the future, get the 5.7. The 3.6 is an exceptional powerplant, but it is limited not by horsepower but by torque. It does what it was designed to do very well and I am quite pleased with mine. But I rarely tow and when I do it is well within the limits of the V6.

But remember, the sound of your truck really has nothing to do with how you look to others....seriously.

Octane

Reaction score
V6 trucks sell slower on the used retail market too,and cheaper.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I focused on one key point in your original post.
The might get a 24' trailer.
If you are thinking a 24' toy or travel trailer and expect to go any distance or elevation, you might want to pass on the 3.6.
There's no drawback to the 5.7 other a few mpg.

It would really stink to buy a truck and then find out that it isn't comfortable to do what you want with it.
There are several forum members who had to upgrade trucks after getting their trailer - it is a costly mistake.

OtterOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Loved my V6 when I had it, it’s a great engine!

If I could have found one with the options I wanted I’d probably still have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought the 3.6 was a big **** in my JK rubicon...cant imagine it in a full size truck. Had it in my wifes old durango, thought it was plenty okay in that. But thats my only experience with the 3.6. I have the hemi in my half ton work truck, and wouldnt want it any other way!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I loved the V6 engine in my 2014 Durango (work vehicle). If I was towing at all I wouldn't hesitate and I'd go with the Hemi.

I tow a 2,000lb small square drop off road camping trailer and the Rebel pulls it very well. 2021 Power Wagon on order...should do just as good.

The V6 is a good engine...but for longevity and towing...go with the Hemi. This is my personal experience. Resale will be higher too down the line.