Pouring leak from the roof of my 2019 Big Horn: NOT HAPPY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when they send out a TSB, if a person explains what the issue is & mentions the TSB

I thought they almost had to cover the repair

Are dealers required to fix TSB?

While these service alerts are issued to dealers by the car companies, a TSB repair is usually only covered if your vehicle is still under a factory warranty. If your car is out of warranty, a dealer doesn't have to perform the fix for free.

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2016 Ram 1500. when vacuuming my carpet if seem to be damp, I really didn't think too much about thought maybe I spilled something it until one morning saw condensation on the inside of my windshield. I felt the carpet it was wet. Some of my gages started to act up. I went to a window glass shop and suggest I go to a self car wash and use a pressure hose to see if it leaked No leak detected. I had the windshield reset no help no help. I was thinking about getting a new truck anyway so I dumped it off on some dealership that thought they were ripping me off. surprise dealership your problem now. This is why I will never buy a used car. The truck looked perfect 40,000 miles taken care of but will be a pain in the ass.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey RedRam2869,

If you'd like some assistance with this, please reach out to us via DM! We'd love to see how we can help.

Callie
Ram Cares

johns3962

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A lot of times if you contact the Dealer they will intercede and ask the Factory for a warranty repair. I used to work for a Pontiac/Cadillac dealer and we would do it from time to time if we had an angry customer. 9 times out of 10 they would ok the repair. my 2010 was leaking at one time from the 3rd brake light. I found a youtube video on the fix. I had to buy some rubber stripping and cut it to fit around the lamp. It has not leaked since. But i did find another leak that was filling up the floor under the rear seat. I thought it was all from the 3rd brake light.

ChiefPepe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
silicone even in small amounts will eat the body steel or aluminum

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If you're going to use a "product" to seal things up, go with Urethane.

DOW is a premium urethane product and is what is used by higher end glass replacement companies to seal windshields, side glass, etc.

It also has a thousand other uses as well. It remains water tight, pliable, and will not dry out or crack.

However, it is one messy product to use, and I strongly recommend wearing some latex gloves when using this stuff, and wear clothes that you don't care about either. When it gets on something, it isn't coming off!

But it works very well!

Henry1jg

Reaction score
What a week, it poured rain on and off for days and it wasn't until one morning when I was getting items from my backseat I noticed it was soaked. The water is coming from inside the headliner and drips out either side right below the ceiling "air bag" plastic markers.

I pulled the upper tail-light and the gasket looked good and was "stuck" on there decently. I didn't see any residue behind it so I don't think it was leaking. I couldn't see anywhere to trace the leak back to visibly inside the headliner\roof, but the water was definitely INSIDE the headliner so I'm 100% sure it's not the sliding rear window seals. I also PAINSTAKINGLY pulled the sharkfin antenna to look under it as I feel like it is the most likely culprit. Let me tell you, it is possible to undo that antenna without dropping the headliner by going through the brake light access hole, but if you have big hands like mine it will be very painful. It took nearly 30mins of turning 1 click at a time with a 1\4drive rather and a shallow 10mm socket to get the damn bolt out of the antenna. My hands are swollen, cut, and bruised all along the tendons from this maneuver. The main reason I did it this way is I see "AIR BAG" marked all over the back, 2 on the ceiling, 2 on the B pillars, but I have no idea where those bombs are actually hiding and didn't want to risk setting them off pulling the liner.

After un-seating the antenna I didn't see water under it but I applied a bead of RTV around the hole it passes through anyways and then painstakingly tightened it back down. The 10mm bolt needed a ratchet the entire way on and off, it was impossible to turn by fingers. I also applied a skim of RTV to the tail light seal along the top and to the screws that hold it in "just in case". I covered it to prevent rain getting in while curing and it should be done curing by today. So a few questions come to mind...

1) Where are the airbags actually located in case this doesn't fix my problem and I need to drop the liner? I know I can disco the neg cable to theoretically "disarm" them but I still want to know where they are so they aren't set off with residual charge or damaged by me.
2) Has anyone found leaks like this and fixed it?
3) The black trim strips on the roof that run front to back on either side. Are they held down with glue? Are they "pressed" into a groove to hold them? They are the only other spot I can see that would potentially leak but I have no clue what they hide or how they are attached and I didn't want to butcher them by prying with a screwdriver.

Really hoping I already fixed the leak. It was a steady stream leak in heavy rain and I have no doubt it will destroy the back seat if left unchecked.
Did you get a resolution?

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck on Ram doing ANYTHING for you. I have owned a 2003, 2007 and currently 2016 Rams. Also Currently a 2017 Durango R/T, 2018 Chrysler 300S and a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. All I get after being a 1000 miles and a month out of warranty was, thanks for being a loyal Mopar customer, but sorry there is nothing we can do for you.........(outsourced Indian accent, who doesn't even know what a differential is). I had an outside shop repair all the bad Pinion bearing and all others $2K later. Currently I'm looking at purchasing an Ford F250. Thanks Mopar I'll be seeing you

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 2016 Ram 1500. when vacuuming my carpet if seem to be damp, I really didn't think too much about thought maybe I spilled something it until one morning saw condensation on the inside of my windshield. I felt the carpet it was wet. Some of my gages started to act up. I went to a window glass shop and suggest I go to a self car wash and use a pressure hose to see if it leaked No leak detected. I had the windshield reset no help no help. I was thinking about getting a new truck anyway so I dumped it off on some dealership that thought they were ripping me off. surprise dealership your problem now. This is why I will never buy a used car. The truck looked perfect 40,000 miles taken care of but will be a pain in the ass.
That was most likely the Cabin vents located on the rear wall behind the rear seats. They now have a new design that seals against the body (until they dry up that it). What ever water that runs down the rear of the cab will go right inside the top of these vents and then drip down. It will soak the rear storage areas (check under sub if you have it) then soak rear floor. They cost like $10 each when I did mine.

Diesel-USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought a 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie new in 2020 for a pretty hefty price tag. Beautiful truck. Just passed 27,000 miles on it last weekend. Imagine my surprise when I went out to the truck and found water stain on my back headliner and water in the floor. I replaced the 3rd brake light seal. Thought all was ok. 2 weeks later; I left the truck sitting outside because I was headed to pick up lumber really early in the morning and didn't want to go all the way down to the shop to get it out. I made my coffee and walked out to the truck. Started it up and reversed down the driveway and all of a sudden Niagara Falls through the interior light. Took forever for it to stop.

Upon inspection I found the rear most part of the seal on the sunroof has completely separated from the cab. I am assuming this is where the water is coming in from @RamCares? I will be making sure the drains for the sunroof are clear this afternoon. I have a 1997 Ford F250 with 41,000 miles. Guess what it hasn't had in its lifetime..... a water leak from a light seal or window.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rear vents...Just by looking at them caused me concern...when I removed & converted the whole back seat to a dog containment area, I decided they were going to be closed off. I put that Megazorb over solid waterproof tape with more duct tape and then my foam/plywood back plate for the dog kennel..no water getting in there by gar!