power at rearview mirror console for dashcam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Hi,

I'm wanting to install a dashcam in the Ram (2015 1500 Limited), and I don't want to (or would at least strongly prefer not to) have to run a cable around the dash, up the A-pillar, and across the headliner.

Is there ignition-switched power somewhere in the area of the rearview mirror and the overhead console?

Cheers,
Toby.

Attachments

• 2021-09-24 10.34.17.jpg
    2021-09-24 10.34.17.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2021-09-24 10.34.05.jpg
    2021-09-24 10.34.05.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 16

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just FYI, running the wire you don't want to run is pretty easy in these trucks. The wires just slide right under the headliner. I use the cigarette lighter area for power.

WVengineer_n_Pa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The headliner is easy to slide the wire under, the pillar is a little more difficult but isn't bad. Loads of room under the dash to get to the pillar. The cable going to the 12v cig style connector bugged me as it was in the way where ours is located. I used a hardwire kit to eliminate this. no cable seen anywhere cept little bit coming down in front of overhead console to the cam.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dash+cam+hardwire&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

made to go to a fuse block, but that part is detachable and you can connect to any 12v source. I installed a secondary fuse block under my center console with constant 12v and that's where i hooked up too. Sometimes i have to manually turn on/off, but minor thing. I still might change it to ignition down the road but some security dash cams want 12v constant.

OP
OP
T

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
I drive about 3 hours a week at this point (work from home now), so I don't really need the camera to be on 24/7. The truck does have a monster battery, but still...

If I have to run wiring down to behind the dash I will -- my instinct is often wrong, but it seems like it'd just be easier to grab power from the rearview area if it is there.

WVengineer_n_Pa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if you don't have the power roof, might be able to use that power as it's not being used, and if the factory connector is there. would have to also see if the fuse is installed for that path as well, but might be worth a shot. overhead console is pretty easy to remove.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Many Ram owners buy one of the Bayou Goat Mount options

I bought one, but my dash cam is stubby, so i modified the mount to raise the dash cam when i want to use it.
I ran a wire down to a power source down under the radio

wt3Nxs.jpg

BcJEIZ.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you are going to get your power from that source below the radio

You may want to consider running the power wire up the Passenger side "A" pillar

The drivers side A pillar is pretty well full of wiring & air bag
The passenger side pillar has plenty of room

OP
OP
T

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Many Ram owners buy one of the Bayou Goat Mount options

I don't want my dash cam there, I want it up on the top of the windshield. However, that looks perfect for my cell phone when I'm using it for nav! Thanks for the pointer.

OP
OP
T

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
I have the power sunroof and power rear window, and those seem to be ignition switched.

In the old days they'd control power directly to the appliance, so I know I could get 12V from them, but in this vehicle are they that way or do they instead just signal a computer that then does the controlling (like CANBUS)?

Stickseler

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,

I'm wanting to install a dashcam in the Ram (2015 1500 Limited), and I don't want to (or would at least strongly prefer not to) have to run a cable around the dash, up the A-pillar, and across the headliner.

Is there ignition-switched power somewhere in the area of the rearview mirror and the overhead console?

Cheers,
Toby.
There is an adaptor that plugs in behind the mirror and gives you a USB plug up there, I bought one, but haven’t hooked it up yet. FA5DB69F-E6EC-4064-8E3E-FAD45DED3E0A.jpeg

OP
OP
T

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Oh nice, that'd be perfect. I can't find it on Amazon, possibly because it's out of stock so maybe it won't feature in results. Could you drop a URL for it in here so I can keep an eye on it?

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is power at the rear view mirror when the truck ignition is on. That's how mine is done.

Here is an old thread I found from someone else.

I used this wiring harness.

cellguru

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok guys, good info here, thank you all. My overhead console (2020 RAM 2500) has neither the window or roof switch, however I am betting the wire harness has wiring for them.

I am wanting to install both a dash cam and a V-1 radar detector, both switched with ignition.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the harnesses that are up there?

Thanks
Kevin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45