Power Door Lock Color Coded Wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phaeton16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm trying to connect my Snugtop Camper shell Power Lock and the Snugtop dealer said to connect to driver side door power lock wires and was wondering if anyone has attempted this. 2016 Ram 1500 SLT

OP
OP
Phaeton16

Phaeton16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I was able to go off the power lock on the Tailgate, if anyone is interested the wires were green + tan also Green + purple.

Rieggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Classic with an ARE Z series topper was wondering this as well.

Has anyone successfully done this on a 2019 Classic? If so can you confirm were you tapped in and the colors you used.

I read a few posts and there seems to be conflicting info. Some say you need to wire into the harness for the rear door locks and some use the tailgate harness.

I've also read that due to the signal and the BCM (?) that you can't use the tailgate harness.

I'd like to knock this out over the weekend so any input would be great.

Rieggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I managed to figure this out.

On my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic the wires for the tailgate lock are:
Purple and Green
Green and Dark Green

I tapped into the wires on the drivers side rear door connector in the B-pillar and I hooked the wires up as follows:
Green wire from the ARE harness to the Purple and Green wire
Brown wire from the ARE harness to the Green and Dark Green wire

I came up through from under the truck through the in-floor storage bin. If you remove the 4 bolts that hold the lid down you will see there is another hole. This hole is used to align a plastic stud on the lid. I cut the stud off with a Dremel tool, put a grommet in the hole in the floor, ran the wires up through hole, under the carpet and into the wire tray that runs along the door sill, then up the B-pillar and connected as stated above.

Works slick, locks and unlocks with the FOB now and I didn't need to drill any holes.

Here is a pic from underneath.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

20201128_154818.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2019 Classic with an ARE Z series topper was wondering this as well.

Has anyone successfully done this on a 2019 Classic? If so can you confirm were you tapped in and the colors you used.

I read a few posts and there seems to be conflicting info. Some say you need to wire into the harness for the rear door locks and some use the tailgate harness.

I've also read that due to the signal and the BCM (?) that you can't use the tailgate harness.
My Leer cap lock has worked fine since '15 wired off the tailgate, I doubt they've changed the wiring for the door/tailgate lock actuators. Auto manufacturers have been wiring door lock actuators the same way for years. The only reason to run the wiring up to the driver's door is so the cap will unlock with the driver's door(one push of the unlock button). The tailgate will still be locked then.