Power door lock problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 quad cab. Passenger rear door lock not working with the buttons or the fob. All other doors function normally. Can manually raise/lower door lock, works fine. Window switch works fine. Safe to assume it's the actuator? I would rather have a new one on hand so I don't to tear it all apart twice. Once to remove and test it and then reassemble everything, wait for the part to arrive and then do it all again.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
2017 quad cab. Passenger rear door lock not working with the buttons or the fob. All other doors function normally. Can manually raise/lower door lock, works fine. Window switch works fine. Safe to assume it's the actuator? I would rather have a new one on hand so I don't to tear it all apart twice. Once to remove and test it and then reassemble everything, wait for the part to arrive and then do it all again.
Understandable, but removing the door panels is fairly easy. Takes less than 5 minutes, less than one if you've done it before.

OP
OP
K

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’re right SKB, I need to take it apart to test it. It’s a little more than 5 minutes (at least for me). After taking off the outer door cover you need to unhook all the linkages, wiring harnesses, unhook the window and remove the latch assembly. Then test it and put it all back together again so the door will shut. A new unit is $180 so you’re right to take it apart and make that’s what is wrong.
Understandable, but removing the door panels is fairly easy. Takes less than 5 minutes, less than one if you've done it before.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You’re right SKB, I need to take it apart to test it. It’s a little more than 5 minutes (at least for me). After taking off the outer door cover you need to unhook all the linkages, wiring harnesses, unhook the window and remove the latch assembly. Then test it and put it all back together again so the door will shut. A new unit is $180 so you’re right to take it apart and make that’s what is wrong.
Understandable...I was thinking more along the lines of popping the door card off to see if anything popped out. If you find it's the switch itself I might have one in my spare parts I'd give you for free (just pay for shipping).

I had a similar issue with my Rambox. The dealer wanted $150 to look at it. I opened it up myself (after seeing a video on YouTube) and found the broken plastic linkage that was fixed for less than $5.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
IF ..
the first door has been taken off before, by anyone, when they lifted the panel off the door, they may have not lifted it high enough before pulling it away.
That can bend the metal rod that allows you to manually lock & unlock the door

That rod connects to the electronically controlled rod

auhBz5.jpg

yJZ71f.jpg

OP
OP
K

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@SitKneelBend I’m going to be taking it apart Saturday. I’ll be in the garage smoking some pork for the Super Bowl. I’ve pulled the outer panel off, all the linkages are intact. That’s a very generous offer. I’ll let you know.
@GTyankee I can see how that would happen, pulling the panel & not lifting high enough. But it will lock & unlock manually so all the linkages are connected and functioning correctly.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
KansasArt
where that rod, IF Bent, meets with the electronically powered Rod. it can cause the powered Rod to be in a bind

OP
OP
K

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update… hate it when someone posts a question but doesn’t follow up on what the solution was! Purchased a lock actuator/latch from benny/all mopar. He was just over $50 cheaper than my local dealer. I didn’t know when I would have time to get to it, that’s why I didn’t take up the generous offer from @SitKneelBend. Just got it replaced and everything functioning as it should. Thanks for help/suggestions!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Update… hate it when someone posts a question but doesn’t follow up on what the solution was! Purchased a lock actuator/latch from benny/all mopar. He was just over $50 cheaper than my local dealer. I didn’t know when I would have time to get to it, that’s why I didn’t take up the generous offer from @SitKneelBend. Just got it replaced and everything functioning as it should. Thanks for help/suggestions!
Glad to hear it! Thanks for closing the loop!