Power drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt2221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi folks, I'm new here so hope I'm doing this right
I have a 2013 Ram 3500 diesel.
When I park it overnight the battery drains down to 10.6 v. I've checked all the obvious, under hood, lights, seat buttons...everything. any suggestions? Powers draining somewhere.

Elvira

Reaction score
First culprit to check is your battery, age of it and maybe do a voltage drop test. 5 yrs is a rule of thumb for battery. Fully charge the battery with a good charger and then do your voltage test.

OP
OP
M

Matt2221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are 2 years old but I did test them both. Also tested the alternator.

OP
OP
M

Matt2221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are 2 years old but I did test them both. Also tested the alternator.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
If you can get a hold of a DC amp meter, you can place the meter around the battery cable, take note of the amount of current draw, then pull each fuse individually until the current draw disappears. That should help you to know at least which circuit the draw is coming from. Make sure to not start the test until the truck has sat for a while so the ECU goes to sleep.

I have seen aftermarket remote starters and alarm systems drain a battery so might also disconnect these if you have any.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would try disconnecting one of the batteries and let it sit overnight, see if the problem persists with either battery disconnected.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:party36: :welcome: :party36: Make sure the batteries are clean, especially between battery posts.

2.JPG

OP
OP
M

Matt2221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can get a hold of a DC amp meter, you can place the meter around the battery cable, take note of the amount of current draw, then pull each fuse individually until the current draw disappears. That should help you to know at least which circuit the draw is coming from. Make sure to not start the test until the truck has sat for a while so the ECU goes to sleep.

I have seen aftermarket remote starters and alarm systems drain a battery so might also disconnect these if you have any.

OP
OP
M

Matt2221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok fellas, I finally got the correct meter and I think I have it narrowed down to F-23 which says CBC#1. Any ideas what that is?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Ok fellas, I finally got the correct meter and I think I have it narrowed down to F-23 which says CBC#1. Any ideas what that is?
I believe that is your Central Body Controller. Unfortunately that controls a ton of stuff so here's a couple things to read up on for it that might help you to narrow it down.

Make sure this Recall has been completed.

**On a side note** If you have a built in light in the engine compartment that comes on when you open the hood, make sure the switch is good and that it actually goes off when the hood is closed. Also double check your door switches and make sure the interior lights go out when the door is closed.

george55378

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull fuse m41. Sometimes the infotainment system will keep coming out of sleep mode and can cause this. I recently diagnosed a 2013 with same scenario and found starter Solenoid drawing current due to bad winding insulation. Pretty Profound. Strange Anomally. Big time bearing play too! Replaced starter. All good. The first i mentioned try first tho. Electricity is a funny animal! LOL!