Power Folding Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 4th gen 2016 Ram 1500 with standard power folding mirrors. I want power folding tow mirrors. I found a good deal on some manual folding tow mirrors. Is it possible to retrofit the power folding motor assy. into the manual folding mirror housing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A lot of people like the Trail Ridge aftermarket tow mirrors that are power-fold. They look just like the OEM ones and can have all the features of the OEMs with the exception of Auto-dim. If I remember correctly you can even make the change with AlfaOBD so the mirror direction control will be correct when they are flipped up.

OP
OP
T

T-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying not to spend $500. Can get factory set for $200 but aren’t power folding. Surely the same mold was used for either manual or power folding and there are accommodations for the drive motor.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, let me put it this way. I spent almost a year researching the power folding mirrors before upgrading my truck and I never came across anyone who did such a retrofit. It might be possible, but I think the only way we'll find out is if you try it.

-K

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do the power fold tow mirrors go from normal to tow mode? Is that powered as well or do the mirrors have to be flipped out by hand?

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
How do the power fold tow mirrors go from normal to tow mode? Is that powered as well or do the mirrors have to be flipped out by hand?
You have to push them up by hand. The mirror goes from horizontal to vertical. The power fold means the entire assembly folds inwards towards the door.

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to push them up by hand. The mirror goes from horizontal to vertical. The power fold means the entire assembly folds inwards towards the door.
Makes sense. And the door modules auto adjust the glass itself once you flip them out by hand?

Elvira

Reaction score
I bought the trail ridge tow mirrors for power fold. I would of bought oem, but too costly. Benny here on the forum helped with all the extras i needed. Modules, switch etc. You cannot remove motors out of standard mirrors to use in new mirrors that were not originally designed for power fold, they are not designed to be retro fitted. You still have to flip up the tow mirrors for trailering too. The glass will adjust auto if you have memory.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
And the door modules auto adjust the glass itself once you flip them out by hand?
There maybe an option you need to enable with AlfaOBD to get the power mirror direction to change when the mirror is flipped up.
The dealership usually has to add a sales code for the factory tow mirrors.

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There maybe an option you need to enable with AlfaOBD to get the power mirror direction to change when the mirror is flipped up.
The dealership usually has to add a sales code for the factory tow mirrors.
You’re right, I do recall seeing an option in AlphaOBD for the tow mirrors which works with the door modules. Thank you.