Power for rear winch, source and cable routing advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoParts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HD
I couldn't come up with anything in a few searches. Looking for info as to whether there is a preferred battery(primary/secondary) I should use to power a winch. I'm hoping someone familiar with the wiring layout or who is aware of factory recommendations(or has better search-fu than me) can chime in. This is for my 2018 3500 Cummins HD in my profile.

I am aware that the LH/Primary battery is mounted in the typical location for all Rams and I expect that all(or most) major systems are wired to it. What I don't know is whether the wiring from the alternator to the second battery is as stout as the wiring to the primary battery, whether there are additional connectors on that line, etc.

For context, I want to mount a 4,500 lb winch on a receiver mount in the rear -- not permanently. I am planning to run 00 welding cable through a 300A breaker and out to an appropriate connector near the rear receiver, the winch will plug in to this. I will also make an extension cable so I can mount and use the winch with my dump trailer. Winch is not intended to handle the weight of the truck before anyone goes there. :D

Also these cables are substantial, any tips on routing preferences for either frame rail would be appreciated.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of the things I did when wiring to the rear of vehicles, is to run the wire or cable through old fire hose. That protected the wires very well. Keep them away from any moving parts or "hot" areas under the truck, and secure them firmly.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
The 2nd battery is for accessories (plows/lighting), so I would run the winch off of that if I were you.

OP
OP
MoParts

MoParts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HD
One of the things I did when wiring to the rear of vehicles, is to run the wire or cable through old fire hose. That protected the wires very well. Keep them away from any moving parts or "hot" areas under the truck, and secure them firmly.
That's a really great idea. I'll see if I can get some used-up 1-1/2" hose from the nearby CalFire station or the local hoe shop. Thanks!

The 2nd battery is for accessories (plows/lighting), so I would run the winch off of that if I were you.
Good to know, thanks. Can you share any pointers to technical details, like charging scheme etc.?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
4500 LB winch is not going to overload your existing batteries or Alternator but max load it can draw 250 AMPs. You need to ensure your cable is large enough to accommodate that draw easily. If you get too much voltage drop it will cause the winch motor to rapidly overheat.

Current (Amps)Duty Cycle (%)0-50 ft.
Current (Amps)Duty Cycle (%)0-50 ft.
350601/0
400602/0
4001003/0
500602/0
I have never heard of 00 welding cable, if it was me I would use 1/0 cable. Also, be careful what quick connect joints you use, these often lose more volts/amperage than the wire.

OP
OP
MoParts

MoParts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HD
Thanks for the input @Dean2. 00 and 2/0 are the same thing, and larger than 1/0. This is the cable I'm using, with this connector. Project has been delayed unfortunately, we had to get some heavy timber out before the ground turned soggy so this had to wait. At this point I have all of the parts ready to go and have figured out wire routing. I also have some used Cal Fire 1-1/2" hose, 33' cost me about $25 on ebay. Just need to get out and do it but too much going on with other house projects, holiday prep stuff, etc.

I was curious about charge wiring because if I'm drawing 250 amps the alternator is going to try to make that up if the engine is running. Just trying to understand the limitations of the system as a whole.