Power locks not locking but will unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgraham14895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok strange issue I use my key fob today to lock doors come back out doors unlocked except driver side. So try it again standing there and sure as can be only lock to lock is the driver side but hit unlock they all come unlocked on second press of the button what could the issue be.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 04 does the same thing, but every once in awhile the drivers door will work just like the rest of the doors. I believe it is just a loose wire or bad ground. I just haven't had the ambition to take the door panel off to fix it yet. The drivers door gets the most use, so this is my thought on it.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I had similar problem with just the rear door on driver's side and it was the wiring harness that goes from body to door. Found several broken wires in it. When you got the time, pull the door panel off first and verify if you have power to the locks or not. If not, my guess is the harness. Dodge didn't use very good wire for an area that sees a lot of flexing (everytime you open and close a door). Good luck. Keep us posted on how you finally remedy it. Thanks

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm at dealer visit #6 to fix my power lock issue. They tested all wires as communicating fine. Changed the latch mechanism, the actuator and a control module so far. Anybody have any ideas? Truck is a 2017 with about 45000 miles on it. Been an ongoing problem for the last 2.5 years. I take it in when I have time or have something else that needs repairing, but I've had no luck on this issue. it's only the drivers door that doesn't work properly. Will lock eventually, but sometimes takes a half dozen or more tries with either the lock button or the remote. Once it locks properly it works perfectly until the truck is started. Once it's started it resets back to the improperly functioning state. The lock cycles through locked/unlocked multiple times when the button pressed just like when you try to lock it with keys in the truck. Keyless entry/go truck. Unlock always works, but not keyless if I had to press the lock more than a couple times to get it locked. Still under warranty. I did notice on this last attempt I lost the auto up/down feature on the drivers power window. Still works normally on passenger side.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You said the truck is a keyless entry & go

when the vehicle is set to On, or even in Run position
does the drivers door Master Switch, lock/unlock work every time ?

It almost sounds like you have a bent metal locking rod, but i think that would malfunction 9 out of 10 times
It happened to my 2016 Ram passenger front door, it was bent when they were removing the door panel, instead of lifting straight up, they pulled it toward their body as they lifted

yJZ71f.jpg

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've been told everything moves freely and it doesn't feel sticky. Once it locks properly I can lock and unlock endlessly without issue until the truck has been started again.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well my door lock issue is finally fixed. Turned out to just be a rod that was binding. Glad it's fixed. Only took 5 years looking back on paperwork and I think 15 trips to the dealer.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well my door lock issue is finally fixed. Turned out to just be a rod that was binding. Glad it's fixed. Only took 5 years looking back on paperwork and I think 15 trips to the dealer.
Wow that is just crazy! Your dealer should go into politics if it takes 5 years to fix something LOL. Glad you finally got it fixed!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wow that is just crazy! Your dealer should go into politics if it takes 5 years to fix something LOL. Glad you finally got it fixed!
Maybe not politics. They did fix the issue finally. Just so much hassle dropping it off and going without for a couple days as well as getting rides.try to combine the trips with other issues and keep down to 1 visit every 3 months or less.

Last edited: