Power steering acting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjxx101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m sure I know the answer is my power steering pump is going out but wanted to get everyone’s opinion first.

07 Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 163k miles

Just today I went to pull into a parking lot and steering got really stiff. I pull into the parking lot and park and try turning the wheel and getting a lot of vibration and kick back in the wheel. Back out of the parking spot and same issue.

As soon as I start rolling in drive the issue disappears. Anything less then just rolling and there is resistance and vibration.

I checked the fluid and the belt that’s all fine. Doesn’t appear to be a leak and there is no noise when turning at speed or a stop. There was a burning smell under the hood when I first checked the issue.

I’m guessing it’s the power steering pump but wanted to get other opinions before I order a new pump. Maybe just the pulley and not the whole pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghostman

US Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 4x4, 2500
I would say to make sure you do a thorough inspection, of suspension and steering components, from underneath, and engine compartment, be sure to rule out anything else.
If you have someone else who can be in the cab to turn the steering from one side to the other, while you do a thorough visual.
Make sure there is nothing else that may be damaged, causing issues, the usual critical areas. look to see what is happening when the wheels are turned, as well as noise, any unusual noise, and from where.
Try driving about in a large empty parking lot, small turns, medium turns, sharp turns.

Again, to rule out, or identify, if there is anything else that it could be.

OP
OP
J

Jjxx101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well issue made itself known on the way home. Power steering pulley came off and of course the serpentine belt did too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
"vibration is neither identified with nor related to the shifting action of hydraulic controls, the linear movement of cylinders, the rotation of pumps and motors, or the oil itself"

https://www.hydraulicspneumatics.co...en-troubleshoot-chapter-5-excessive-vibration

Basiclly states if there is vibration, the cause is most likely a mechanical imbalance. Now that vibration CAN affect the pump, but the actual cause is not associated with the hydraulic action

Edit: spent to much time sighting my source and you found the cause before I posted lol

OP
OP
J

Jjxx101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since the pulley came off what would everyone think the pulley seized up and broke or did the pump seize up and break the pulley?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well if you smelled burning runner the belt was probably slipping on the pulley. I think they both are the same lol.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
That burning smell you had was probably belt on pulley but I'd imagine a banshee like screech would of accompanied it.

Another cause for burning is the pump over heated. Increased pressure in the lines will heat the oil, kinks, blockages, deteriorating hoses will require greater pressure to move the oil through the system causing heat. Contamination too. In essence I think the PS system degraded or infested

also higher psi can cause turbulence in hydraulic systems. Turbulence can be described as "bucking".

Old, worn or contaminated oil will kill a pump. Once contamination starts, each use of the pump increases contamination by breaking down system internals, those internals then become even more contamination destroying even more of the system internals. Contamination can be water, dirt, metal debris, air etc.

locate and replace damaged parts, leaks, hoses etc, flush the system, fill with brand new oil.

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I changed ps pulley on my 03, and it originally didn't have a retainer bolt. I installed one on the new pulley for piece of mind.