Power steering difficult after sitting for week??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 ram 1500 5.7 31k mi sits in my garage a lot , but recently within the past two months I’ve noticed the power steering is hard to turn and sticky at times . No noticeable leaks on my garage floor, any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You have electric power steering so this is beyond me. Probably not your belt (yes your steering uses a cog belt) if it comes and goes. Maybe it is an electrical problem [emoji2373]

Im interested the resolution

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have electric power steering so this is beyond me. Probably not your belt (yes your steering uses a cog belt) if it comes and goes. Maybe it is an electrical problem [emoji2373]

Im interested the resolution

Someone mention the steering u joint may need lubrication or replacement , apparently a somewhat common issue.

Reactions: U&A

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder if you're low on PS Fluid, you know... electrons.
Seriously though. I wonder if maybe your voltage is droppin low.

I'd check your battery cables and maybe have someone test the battery.
5 years isn't bad, but I could see it needing replaced.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Very true

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Good point.

OEM batteries in newer cars are KNOW for not making it much further than 3-5 years a lot times. Not like 15-20 years ago when they would last 8 years or more.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

However I don’t think it’s a battery issue as it persists even while driving. I would assume the alternator keeps the power to it after a bit of driving .... I lubrigsted the u joint and it seemed to make a big difference.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OEM batteries in newer cars are KNOW for not making it much further than 3-5 years a lot times. Not like 15-20 years ago when they would last 8 years or more.
The OP has a '15, it does seem like I've seen several posts about '14 & '15 model years asking about replacing their batteries.
I replaced the one in my '15, probably a little preemptively but knowing some of the goofy things these trucks have been reported doing when the battery goes bad. I has the remote start fail once and then it turned over noticably slow. The old battery would drop to 12.2 when it sat just overnight(no load).

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would seem that since the battery has plenty of juice to start the truck its most likely not the issue. All the battery does is start the truck. After that all of the power is supplied by the alternator. Also when we see battery issues with these trucks they throw a ton of codes and warnings on the dash because the voltage drops so low when the truck is cranking. That doesn't seem to be the case here. If I had to guess I would say check the U joint as people have mentioned and electrical connector on the power steering rack itself and make sure it's not corroded or damaged and check all the wiring. If that looks normal maybe your having an issue with the unit itself.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
It's your intermediate shaft u joint. I lubed mine up two years ago and Havnt had any issues with it since. I had to pull it off the truck pull the little rubber boots back from The trunion joints and squirt some good lube in there. I used Remington gun lube because that's all I had. Saved me dome money and hasn't given me an issue since. Goda love living in the salt belt.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's your intermediate shaft u joint. I lubed mine up two years ago and Havnt had any issues with it since. I had to pull it off the truck pull the little rubber boots back from The trunion joints and squirt some good lube in there. I used Remington gun lube because that's all I had. Saved me dome money and hasn't given me an issue since. Goda love living in the salt belt.

I barely drive my damn truck and it sees only a couple drives I. The winter if I absolutely have to . But I’ll try ur idea of lubing it up.... how do I go about that? Can I do it from underneath ? Use grease or spray lube? Is there any videos online ?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I barely drive my damn truck and it sees only a couple drives I. The winter if I absolutely have to . But I’ll try ur idea of lubing it up.... how do I go about that? Can I do it from underneath ? Use grease or spray lube? Is there any videos online ?

You have to take the shaft completely out of the truck. Then use a small screwdriver to pull the tiny rubber dust boot back from the bearing and lube each one. Work it and repeat till its not as seized up. Takes about an hour or so to do. Strap your wheel too so it doesn't rotate and wreck the clock spring.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to take the shaft completely out of the truck. Then use a small screwdriver to pull the tiny rubber dust boot back from the bearing and lube each one. Work it and repeat till its not as seized up. Takes about an hour or so to do. Strap your wheel too so it doesn't rotate and wreck the clock spring.

I’m thinking of just replacing the u joint ... it’s cheap enough and appears easy enough . Would that do the trick?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I’m thinking of just replacing the u joint ... it’s cheap enough and appears easy enough . Would that do the trick?

Yeah that would work too. I'm just cheap and hate throwing good parts away lol.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that would work too. I'm just cheap and hate throwing good parts away lol.

I just am not mechanically inclined and not sure it’s as easy to lube the parts you said or replace the u joint

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
It's probly easier for you to replace it. Tbh. It's only two bolts.