Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power steering nightmare

Discussion in '3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008' started by Ryan Blizzard, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Stoch Hoskinson

Stoch Hoskinson Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have to agree, hard to remember a pump in a worse place to replace!! I bought mine on ebay from a junk yard, working fine so far!!

2. WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I swear there is a poor design in the factory pumps that just aerates the hell out of the fluid.

I wish someone gave enough of a hoot in the aftermarket to redesign the pump or make a retrofit for a GM pump that actually works right. It's so darned frustrating having something as simple as a hydraulic pump not function correctly.

The shop that replaced my PS pump went through 2 remanufactured units, and then finally a new unit. I still am not happy. If the truck has sat for 3-4 days it starts up and is nice and quiet. But if I drive it around it gets noisy AF. I feel like I'm driving a '87 F250.

3. medicineman

medicineman Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have a 2004 and replaced the pump. It had a very slight whine, so my mechanic replaced fluid with synthetic and added about 2 ounces of Lucas engine oil treatment. No whines working perfect for over 2 years now. Truck had 166, 000 at change and now had 175,000.

4. Eddie S

Eddie S Junior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v6
    222,000 miles and my factory pump just went (original)
    My mechanic insists on me securing OEM parts on certain items. He installed a pump from the dealer and no problems at all 2 months later. After about 10 miles the air worked its way out of the system and it operates smooth and quiet.
    He said absolutely no way he would put a rebuilt pump on my truck. Thankfully I have a great relationship with my mechanic. Oh, he also used synthetic fluid... Lucas oils I think.

grpht03ram likes this.
  5. Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf Member

Ram Year:
    2005 Laramie
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    So does anyone know if Lucas power steering conditioner/stop leak will cause a problem in these pumps? I do have a leaky seal(s) somewhere. My steering box is wet. I've used the Lucas conditioner in other cars with rack and pinion and it's a magic elixir. Leaks stop, noise goes away, but I've read here only a fool puts anything in besides the red auto trans/steering fluid in and that's what I already have in there.

The seeping is the only issue and I don't want to cause some other problem trying to fix it.