Power Surge on Headlight Circuit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dingo7285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I had headlights on Tuesday, parked truck for 20 hours, then started up normal and had no low/high beams. 2018 Ram 1500 Tradesman, 3.6l. Marker lights worked on both sides. Figuring it had to be a TIPM issue, At work on Thursday, disconnected Negative for a few hours and reconnected, 1 high beam starts working, but no low beams. Waited for the weekend to take everything apart. I had installed AlphaRex Headlights a few years ago, and have had no issues. Take everything apart, test for voltage everywhere, everything good on all contacts. Still can't beleive that I could have burned out 3 bulbs at the same time, re-plugged in the factory heads, everything works. Then go an pull the bulbs, the 2 low beams, burned filmiment, didn't look like an explosive burn out, just filament broken. On high beam bulb, filament looked fine, but there was a rattling in the body of the bulb. So go get new bulbs, the AlphRex use H7 bulbs, plug in everything, looks good, put all back together.

So the question is, what could cause this? Sounds like some kind of surge or short on the Headlight Circuit. The lights worked when I had come home on Tuesday night, parked in my driveway, and on Wednesday night they stopped working. No rain or other weather item that could cause a short. I did drive on a really bad washboard road a week ago, loose wire somewhere? All the wiring harnesses looked fine, and no corrosion on the Contacts. Not completely happy with the connector from AlphaRex ( quality wise ), but it seemed secure and no burn marks, corosion, etc. I will see if the new bulbs last, if they burn out again, I'm leaning towards some kind of issue with the AlphaRex heads? Any Ideas would be helpful....

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have already said before how bad of quality and issues that AlphaRex headlights have ... A random guy who asked me about my headlights just took off some AlphaRex headlights because he said they actually caught on fire ....

Which AlphaRex headlights do you have? He had the Pro Series G-2 ones which look like mine ...

I wouldn't buy or trust AlphaRex headlights anymore, I had some and they would always spit out a parking light out error, AlphaRex had no solution for them so I returned them ...

Do you have resistors on them? If so I would replace them all ...