Power tank for PW?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My next project for the PW is either a compressor (twin ARB), or Power Tank. I've read good and bad for both, but I'm leaning toward the Power Tank simply because it has fewer moving parts and doesn't require electricity. Seems to be an easy installation too! Any comments or first hand knowledge? I know the main drawback of the Power Tank is that it has to be refilled, which can be expensive. Comments?

DKONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The power tank is definitely a cool thing to have. I had the monster valves on my FJ 40 and ran about 8 pounds on the trail and would air back up after in seconds with 37’s no kidding. I like them but never used it on a standard valve stem, so sorry if this doesn’t help you. That power tank never let me down! Even really helped at work when one of the guys popped the bead on the cat skid steer.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I have a compressor and I’m planning on a CO2 tank for faster fills after trail riding. I will build my own using parts from Amazon.
I’ll continue to carry the Viair compressor since it’s never going to go empty. The CO2 will just be a luxury to save me time.

I’ve read that CO2 is soluble in rubber, so it dissolves into a tire then passes through it. It’s a well known issue with bicycle tires, however you don’t read reports of vehicle tires leaking down on CO2 so apparently the materials are thicker or more resistant.

I have seen a couple of reports of twin ARB failures. I have the ARB single in my Jeep and it’s been trouble free.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
I just received my new (to me) Ram (2019 2500 Longhorn). In my previous truck, I installed a Viair on-board air system. I had air bags, so I really needed the OBA. For my new truck, I am not sure I want OBA, but have been looking at Power Tank solutions. I really like the idea of having air (CO2) without the compressor. What do y'all think?

Here is a picture of my OBA install on the old truck:

IMG_20181028_142246150.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What do y'all think?
An onboard air system to consider is by Kleinn, it comes available with or without air horns. The short-box trucks is a no drill install.

Keep in mind with Power Tank or any high pressure cylinder is they need to be recertified every 5 years.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Interesting idea, thank you. And I didn't know that about recertification. Good information.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I air down and up again on average about 4 times a week, and I’m the impatient sort.

When I’m not in too much hurry, or not working in the blazing desert sun, I use a compressor. For the last 15 years or so, most often my Viair 450. I’ve also had a couple of twin ARB, and the inflation time is comparable; generally 10 minutes or so depending on how much pressure change is involved.

This year I’m using a compressor I bought at NAPA (unfortunately discontinued I hear). It draws 90 amps and has dual cylinders. It’s about a 5 minute or less job. It was an inexpensive chynese product, and I have noted some diminishing performance as the months go by. It’s clearly not going to last like the Viair, but for the performance I’d buy one every year if I can find one.

To the question at hand, when it’s hot, there’s no shade, and I’m tired and ready to hit the road I hook up my CO2 tank. Two minutes, maybe 90 seconds depending on how much I need. You don’t need the overpriced big name product either. I got the tank and regulator from a welding supply store.

Times above are to inflate all 4, not including time to break out the gear and hook it up. Typically 25-40 on 35” tires. I use a 4 hose spider I made to inflate all 4 simultaneously. Make that yourself too, no need for $$$ kits sold under various brands.

PS- a generic welding tank is identical to a powertank, except for the graphics. And you can exchange them at most shops, so certification is never a problem. Sometimes I get mine refilled; other times it’s exchanged.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I air down and up again on average about 4 times a week, and I’m the impatient sort.

When I’m not in too much hurry, or not working in the blazing desert sun, I use a compressor. For the last 15 years or so, most often my Viair 450. I’ve also had a couple of twin ARB, and the inflation time is comparable; generally 10 minutes or so depending on how much pressure change is involved.

This year I’m using a compressor I bought at NAPA (unfortunately discontinued I hear). It draws 90 amps and has dual cylinders. It’s about a 5 minute or less job. It was an inexpensive chynese product, and I have noted some diminishing performance as the months go by. It’s clearly not going to last like the Viair, but for the performance I’d buy one every year if I can find one.

To the question at hand, when it’s hot, there’s no shade, and I’m tired and ready to hit the road I hook up my CO2 tank. Two minutes, maybe 90 seconds depending on how much I need. You don’t need the overpriced big name product either. I got the tank and regulator from a welding supply store.

Times above are to inflate all 4, not including time to break out the gear and hook it up. Typically 25-40 on 35” tires. I use a 4 hose spider I made to inflate all 4 simultaneously. Make that yourself too, no need for $$$ kits sold under various brands.

PS- a generic welding tank is identical to a powertank, except for the graphics. And you can exchange them at most shops, so certification is never a problem. Sometimes I get mine refilled; other times it’s exchanged.
You happen to be talking about this one?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks the same, except mine is orange.

View attachment 528060
Maybe like this one then too? Lots of good reviews…

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
I bought the tanks and parts to make my own CO2 system off of Amazon. In my area in TX empty tanks are exchanged for full ones at Airgas or Praxair.

If you go with a Power Tank, find a vendor willing to fill them prior to purchase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963