Power trouble with rear driver side door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hello all. Having a couple issues with the rear driver side door on my 2002 Ram 1500. The power lock and the power window are not working. Neither at the door itself or with the driver's controls. The other 3 doors are all working fine. I do hear a click when I try to roll down the window using the driver's controls. Any ideas what might be going on or where I should look to do some trouble shooting? Thanks.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yeah check the wiring between the door and B pillar. Peel back the bellows over the wire and you will probably find a bunch of broken wires. It's a common problem. You can either repair the breaks or replace the harness. I did both my back doors. You can get the harness on Amazon but the price swings wildly. Right now it's over 120 bucks. Last time I bought one it was under 80 just a few months ago, so may want fixit and live with it until the price comes back down if you want to replace it.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thanks much. I'll check that as soon as I can and I'll keep an eye on that price. Hope that's it. Been fighting a LAMP OUT light for the last month or two. It was intermittent so it was difficult to chase down the alleged bulb. Turns out it wasn't a bulb at all. It was the circuit board in one of the tail lights. $12 on Amazon and were good as new. Too bad I wasted $8 on bulbs.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Well, I did it. Opened up that boot and found 4, count 'em, 4 broken wires! The price of a new harness is crazy right now so I went with the old strip and repair. Got them all fixed and put it back together. But, alas. My joy was short lived. There was one good thing. The over head light now works with all 4 doors. But sadly, issues still remain. The window will not go up and down and the door locks on all 4 doors only lock. They will not unlock. The other 3 windows work fine. Gonna have to live with it for a while longer. Thanks for the help. Let me know if anything else pops into your mind for me to check.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
OK. I give. What is the correct wiring harness for my 2002 1500 quad cab rear door? Different sites are telling me different things. I can't even find the correct part number. One site gave a part number but price was way high. So I searched the part number and another site said it didn't fit. I'm about to have a fit. A little help, please? Thanks.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I may have another frayed wire behind the door panel as the window seems to work when it wants to. Only thing left is to figure out why all four doors will lock BUT none of them will unlock.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So it looks like there are door lock drivers and a separate door unlock drivers located in the instrument cluster. That's according to the service manual. No idea what they look like or how to find them. :-(

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There may be a trick reset
I know they built that into other Rams

You know what i am talking about, something like holding the unlock key for so many seconds while your pinky finger is in your left nostril type thing

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So it looks like there are door lock drivers and a separate door unlock drivers located in the instrument cluster. That's according to the service manual. No idea what they look like or how to find them. :-(
Thanks for a place to start.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
There may be a trick reset
I know they built that into other Rams

You know what i am talking about, something like holding the unlock key for so many seconds while your pinky finger is in your left nostril type thing
Gotta find that secret trick handbook. I think I may have put my pinky in the wrong nostril.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Still can't find the correct wiring harness for the back door. The ones on Amazon say they don't fit. I've looked all over the interweb and have had no luck finding one for a 2002. A little help, please?

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
After a bit of research, i may have found your issue

Good Luck
This guy really took the long way around. I just removed the boot covering the wires and found lots of broken wires. I repaired them but am still having intermittent issues. I'm going to check again. All is well for now but I'd like to replace the whole harness eventually. I've been trying to find one online but every one I find says it doesn't fit my 2002. I'm confused. OH, YEAH. A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORT.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
UPDATE: Found a brand new wiring harness on ebay CHEAP! SEVEN BUCKS! Brand new APDTY. Any way, I finally installed it and got a new master switch for the front door for $18. All is well, almost.

One issue remains that has me puzzled. I can lock all of the doors with the master switch but I cannot unlock them. The passenger side door will lock with it's own switch but will not unlock. Any ideas what this last piece of the puzzle is?

Thanks everyone for your help up to now. I may be slow but I'll get it done. :)

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Anybody with any ideas why my power doors will lock but they won't unlock? Anybody? Please.