Power Wagon 18’ or 19’!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I’ve got stuck in my 2500 once. On a rock lol. And I guarantee a pw would got hung up on it too haha. Granted I’m running thuren stuff and 35’s. Hopefully 37’s cure that
With the sliders on order and a little momentum... I will take that challenge. The flex or wheel travel on the PW is insane.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
If I keep posting I’m going to sound like a new car sales man... I have had a lot of practice when I came home one day and surprised my wife with my new truck:buttkick:

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
With the sliders on order and a little momentum... I will take that challenge. The flex or wheel travel on the PW is insane.
Put thuren on it. You’ll be really impressed. My truck has so much flex it’s crazy.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Ouch. Back in the day rock crawling in CO “rock rash” on your Jeep made you legit! (Jeep was only 14k)
Sliders before I head to Moab.

I will hook you up with my tube steps to cover that up!( it will add a little 19 PW to your rig)
I’m getting sliders made. Just haven’t done it. That’s all this truck does is off-road.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are the negatives about the 6spd??

Mainly because it just makes the truck feel like a **** compared to the 8 speed.

I have both trans (a ‘17 1500 big horn, and a ‘16 power wagon). The 8 speed is such a pleasure to drive in comparison to the 6 speed. Seems like it is always in the right gear and just floats along. The power wagon feels like it cant hardly get out of its own way, tries holding gears WAY to long to the point where the speed starts slowing down considerably. Then when it does finally downshift it often goes two gears lower and makes a big deal out of it.

I never liked the trans in my power wagon since day one. Then when i got the half ton (work truck) i was blown away how much better it makes the truck drive.

I planned on keeping the wagon forever. But I think I will be switching it out for a newer one with the 8 speed eventually.

I may try regearing heavily and possibly do a tune for the trans to see if I can make it suit my ocd.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 8spd is amazing. I can only imagine in the pw. I’ll admit I may have been wrong about dial shifter though. I’ve been in my wife’s a few times backing up and turning around and doing it quickly with the shifts and truck gives me the shift to p error. I’ve never had this happen with my column shifter. Sooooo I’d be curious how it will hold up if you need to rock the truck to get loose. You almost have to come to a stop to get it to work right. That’s be my only issue I see. And I was one who didn’t think it would be an issue and now I’m eating crow lol. But man 8spd is fantastic

I have never had a problem with the dial shifter.

https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/ram-power-wagon-2500-3500-2014-2018/

For those of you that don’t want to end up like 22hemi13. Lol

I have these and they are stout as all get out. Be careful if you have a '19, as they have to make some changes for them.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I keep posting I’m going to sound like a new car sales man... I have had a lot of practice when I came home one day and surprised my wife with my new truck:buttkick:
HA HA!!!!!! I tried that........once.........with a 2005 PW!!!!!!

I was standing in the driveway when she got home from worked and she asked “who’s here?” then proceeded to tell me to take it back.

To this day I’m STILL trying to talk the boss into getting one :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess it depends on the truck, or the driver, my '18 has been great, once the teething issues with electronics were ironed out. I bought the 18 specifically to avoid the 19, the tranny would be a big draw if you did a lot of long haul driving I suppose, but I prefer the looks of the 18 to the 19...and of course there is that nasty dial shifter...which I guess for a road driver it is fine....but I'm not convinced it is gonna be very good for off roading....but Time will tell!
I don't honestly think you can make a wrong decision here, the cosmetics are a small issue in the scheme of things, but it can be the deciding factor when all is said and done.
Let us know what you end up with!!
Mazer
Ughh the dial shifter.. so unnatural.. and right next to the volume knob

OP
OP
C

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never had a problem with the dial shifter.

I have these and they are stout as all get out. Be careful if you have a '19, as they have to make some changes for them.
Rock sliders?? For sure!! And that’s a decent price considering what they charge for sliders on Tacoma’s

mikejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the 18 - but I drove both. Ultimately the deal on the 18 was better, I liked the color better, and it was better equipped for less money. Subjectively, I like the body lines better on the 18. For my Jeeps, I always preferred synthetic cable; but for this, I prefer steel primarily due to durability and I'm not using it a lot.

the majority of the upgrades on the 19 were lost on me, though the 12in screen looked great I prefer physical buttons I can feel with my hands. I did like the front camera, but the use case is pretty small and I've done fine without for this long.

OP
OP
C

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the 18 - but I drove both. Ultimately the deal on the 18 was better, I liked the color better, and it was better equipped for less money. Subjectively, I like the body lines better on the 18. For my Jeeps, I always preferred synthetic cable; but for this, I prefer steel primarily due to durability and I'm not using it a lot.

the majority of the upgrades on the 19 were lost on me, though the 12in screen looked great I prefer physical buttons I can feel with my hands. I did like the front camera, but the use case is pretty small and I've done fine without for this long.
Looks like I’m gunna be spending a big chunk of change on a 18’ PW soon.. one thing in particular, worries me about the 8spd. (Besides the fact that i can’t seem to wrap my head around a dial shifter) When i get it it’s not gunna be long before i throw 35s or 37s on. That being said, I’m not sure how tall the final drive ratio is in 7th and 8th gear.. I’ve read that 35s are fine with the 4.10s in the 6spd. However, adding two more gears, and I’m assuming that they are taller gears.. it’ll make regearing the truck a necessity..

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like I’m gunna be spending a big chunk of change on a 18’ PW soon.. one thing in particular, worries me about the 8spd. (Besides the fact that i can’t seem to wrap my head around a dial shifter) When i get it it’s not gunna be long before i throw 35s or 37s on. That being said, I’m not sure how tall the final drive ratio is in 7th and 8th gear.. I’ve read that 35s are fine with the 4.10s in the 6spd. However, adding two more gears, and I’m assuming that they are taller gears.. it’ll make regearing the truck a necessity..

No, not really. The extra gears are not up top, they are down low. The 8 speed will handle taller tires without regearing a lot better than the 6 speed will.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
while I'm waiting for my 17 to be replaced or fixed i got a 2019 tradesmen 5.7 4 door as a loaner today. has the dial shift. this was the biggest draw back for me on upgrading to the 19 models until i drove it. it is extremely intuitive and does not take any getting use to. as soon as you get in the truck you know how to use it. i feel like an idiot for doubting it for so long. I'm sure i will have this truck for a week or two so i will post an update, but after one day it has its place in the truck without question.

OP
OP
C

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, not really. The extra gears are not up top, they are down low. The 8 speed will handle taller tires without regearing a lot better than the 6 speed will.
Oh ****.. now I’m looking into the final drive ratios.. I’d assumed the better mpg came from a taller OD gear and maybe one more in the middle but eh.. what do i know.. going to exercise my Google fu skills right now

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh ****.. now I’m looking into the final drive ratios.. I’d assumed the better mpg came from a taller OD gear and maybe one more in the middle but eh.. what do i know.. going to exercise my Google fu skills right now

I think the better mpg’s is from the motor operating in the proper rpm’s more often with the added gearing.

OP
OP
C

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the better mpg’s is from the motor operating in the proper rpm’s more often with the added gearing.
Yup you were right.. although the chart i saw was based on the zf trans in other trucks.. the big difference is in the lower gears (1-4) OD (6th & 8th) remains pretty much the same only a **** hair taller with the 8