Power Wagon 18’ or 19’!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
For most guy/gals it comes down to price. It really does. Will/can you pay 60k on a truck? The big question.
If both trucks were optioned out to the fullest for that year and both were the same price I believe most if not all would buy the newest. (2019)
If 56pw17 would trade me his 1956 for my 2019 that would be a different story.:cheers:

And unless mikejr is 65, he really doesn’t want to “feel the buttons”, he wants the big screen so he can see the front camera on approach angles ;)

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Guys I’m debating on selling my built Tacoma in and joining the mopar clan!! Im trying to steal a leftover 18’ off of a dealers lot.. There are quite a few left over in my area.. that being said, I’m hearing a lot of chatter about the 19s with the ZF trans!! I am not one to buy anything on in its first year (usually wait a couple years for them to iron the bugs out) question is: what’s the consensus on the new ones?? Should i wait a few moths and get a leftover 19’ or try to scoop up an 18’ on the cheap?? I’m leaning towards the 18’ b/c that configuration has been around for a bit.. anyways lemme know

Thanks
The question is: is the 19 worth 10k more for look and the options it has over the 18.
It’s not mpg or the dial shifter that will sway you.
For me, yes!! It was $100 more per month financed (19 gave a better rate) and insurance was $6 more.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/05/20...ent-it-is-than-the-previous-generation-video/

The new 2019 Power Wagon surprised with a 16.4 MPG highway fuel efficiency result. This is a huge improvement from 12.3 MPG that we got with a 2017 Power Wagon two years ago. This is a 25% improvement on our test.

We also saw a big improvement in the 0-60 MPH times. The old 2017 Power Wagon clocked in a 9.75 sec 0-60 MPH run (at a mile above sea level). The new 2019 truck measured at 8.12 seconds. This is a 16% improvement.

Highway mileage is one thing. I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to the average. Here is a screenshot from my personal fuelly app. I’m a glutton for punishment so I track every mile...423099cae9608b4043384d4d8bac4ea8.jpg
Big difference between best (all highway) and average obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
HA HA!!!!!! I tried that........once.........with a 2005 PW!!!!!!

I was standing in the driveway when she got home from worked and she asked “who’s here?” then proceeded to tell me to take it back.

To this day I’m STILL trying to talk the boss into getting one :(
It is better to ask for forgiveness then permission?!
I’m not a marriage counselor (though I made it 15 years so far) but that has been my approach on vehicle purchases. “I work hard” Is what I tell her.
Even if you find a cheaper used one, I say go for it! I’m coming from a Raptor and I have 0 regrets.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Highway mileage is one thing. I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to the average. Here is a screenshot from my personal fuelly app. I’m a glutton for punishment so I track every mile...423099cae9608b4043384d4d8bac4ea8.jpg
Big difference between best (all highway) and average obviously.

Wow. Gpm really does matter to you. I pulled out my last to receipts and I got 440 mi on one 29 gallon tank and 480 on the last tank and it took 30 gallons that’s 16 mpg and of the 40 miles I drive per day 34 mi are hyw at 80-85 mph and the other 6 I don’t get out of 4th gear. Plus I remote start like crazy here with it being 98-100 out side.
I set the cruise at 65 tonight coming home and for the 17 mile trip I got 19.2 ( did that one for you)

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
2019 I’ve driven one and it’s badass!!!!!

The Blue Mule

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wow. Gpm really does matter to you. I pulled out my last to receipts and I got 440 mi on one 29 gallon tank and 480 on the last tank and it took 30 gallons that’s 16 mpg and of the 40 miles I drive per day 34 mi are hyw at 80-85 mph and the other 6 I don’t get out of 4th gear. Plus I remote start like crazy here with it being 98-100 out side.
I set the cruise at 65 tonight coming home and for the 17 mile trip I got 19.2 ( did that one for you)

Those are pretty decent numbers for such a big truck. I won’t argue with that. The final piece of my equation are my 35s. Not sure how much they’ve effected mpg as I put them on before the motor was broke in.

I don’t doubt the 8 spd has improved mileage some but certainly not enough for me to “downgrade” to a rope and the new front end. Joking about the front end of course but I do prefer the 18 front end and the steel cable. Bottom line, I’m happy with my 18 and the 6 spd that comes with it.

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Those are pretty decent numbers for suck a big truck. I won’t argue with that. The final piece of my equation are my 35s. Not sure how much they’ve effected mpg as I put them on before the motor was broke in.

I don’t doubt the 8 spd has improved mileage some but certainly not enough for me to “downgrade” to a rope and the new front end. Joking about the front end of course but I do prefer the 18 front end and the steel cable. Bottom line, I’m happy with my 18 and the 6 spd that comes with it.

I like the 18 as well but it does seem the 19 got a little faster and economical. (The rope is 35lbs lighter)
My 19 will get 35 before I go to Moab so if you remember (or care) hit me up in the spring for a mpg update. I leave for the mountains tomorrow and will put 3-4K on my truck. So I will have more data for you in the next few days.

OP seems like mpg mattered to you. If not, sorry for over posting about mpg on your tread.

OP
OP
C

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the 18 as well but it does seem the 19 got a little faster and economical. (The rope is 35lbs lighter)
My 19 will get 35 before I go to Moab so if you remember (or care) hit me up in the spring for a mpg update. I leave for the mountains tomorrow and will put 3-4K on my truck. So I will have more data for you in the next few days.

OP seems like mpg mattered to you. If not, sorry for over posting about mpg on your tread.
Nah no hijack.. I’m actually interested getting real world mpgs.. my Tacoma gets 11-13mpg city soo I’m familiar with thirsty

mikejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And unless mikejr is 65, he really doesn’t want to “feel the buttons”, he wants the big screen so he can see the front camera on approach angles ;)

Not yet, but I feel it. My wife's car is all screen, and you have to pay close attention to where you fingers are lest you hit the wrong element on the interface - this is why I prefer physical buttons, you can index your hand with a glance and "feel" the rest. I also work in tech, and I like taking a break from large screens from time to time. And while I do like the front camera - it's just not that compelling.

But... all in all it came down to color, options, and price.

Rancid Lunchmeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm confused.. why are people talking about the differences in the 18 and the 19 and mentioning cosmetic things like "better lines" "better badging" on the 18's? As far as I know, there's no difference in badging, the only difference in "lines" could possibly be because the front of the 19s are a bit higher, but that's barely noticeable unless side by side.

AFAIK, the 18 and 19 are damn near identical in appearance except that the 19s have flattened tops of the wheel wells while the 18s don't. And I think they pretty much made that change just so you could differentiate the two by looks.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I'm confused.. why are people talking about the differences in the 18 and the 19 and mentioning cosmetic things like "better lines" "better badging" on the 18's? As far as I know, there's no difference in badging, the only difference in "lines" could possibly be because the front of the 19s are a bit higher, but that's barely noticeable unless side by side.

AFAIK, the 18 and 19 are damn near identical in appearance except that the 19s have flattened tops of the wheel wells while the 18s don't. And I think they pretty much made that change just so you could differentiate the two by looks.
The the hood is different first off.
The front bumper is different since the rope does not need rollers
To name a few

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Nah no hijack.. I’m actually interested getting real world mpgs.. my Tacoma gets 11-13mpg city soo I’m familiar with thirsty
I posted a new thread this morning to include GPM in my adventure to the mountains this weekend. If you have not made up your mind, follow my tread this next 7 days and I will keep you informed.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The entire front end is completely different. The entire rear end is completely different. The interior is upgraded/different as well.

Those are the aesthetic differences.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
The entire front end is completely different. The entire rear end is completely different. The interior is upgraded/different as well.

You are correct. I will post some pictures for y’all to see the 19 and maybe someone can add some for the 17/18??

14DB74AE-9B32-40E1-9B1B-5ADD41D1FEF7.jpeg

Last edited:

Rancid Lunchmeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Sure, the interior is different. I do see now that the front is a bit different as well, not just because of the headlights, but the mustache is a bit taller and the bumper is different because of the lift. I hadn't really noticed it before because it's so similar just the proportions are a bit changed.

What's the difference in the back other than the lights? and what are the badging differences people have mentioned?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Sure, the interior is different. I do see now that the front is a bit different as well, not just because of the headlights, but the mustache is a bit taller and the bumper is different because of the lift. I hadn't really noticed it before because it's so similar just the proportions are a bit changed.

What's the difference in the back other than the lights? and what are the badging differences people have mentioned?

DAB7F1C9-03D2-4157-9340-7F787066B926.jpeg

674DA678-464F-4AB9-811D-DAF87C9E1F09.jpeg

A8E58CBC-0147-4D6F-AC58-DFA9678FE034.jpeg

Rancid Lunchmeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You are correct. I will post some pictures for y’all to see the 19 and maybe olyelr can add some for the 17/18??

For sure the 12 inch screen being available on the 19 is a huge difference, I was more just focusing on people talking about how they liked the exterior on the 18 better than on the 19. I'm well aware the 19 has more tech, it is also a far more capable truck. The transmission is a huge deal, better gas mileage, faster, better crawl ratio. The 19 also has better approach angles due to the front being a bit lifted. The 19 is far more mechanically and tech superior to the 18s.

I was really just wondering about those folks that say the 18 looks better than the 19, I couldn't even see a difference between the two. Now, I can see the subtle changes that do come down to personal preference.

Personally, I'd never buy an 18 over a 19, there isn't a discount big enough to convince me to give up the upgrades on the 19 and I just don't see the outward cosmetic differences.