Power wagon and light slide in camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Bock... Yes, I got Hellwig's part #6214 airbags AND their chromoly HD Rear Sway Bar (#7738). I also have installed Hellwig's auto-level system connected to my Extreme Outback Products IP68 rated dual compressors and 2.5 gallon air tank. The auto-level system keeps each bag completely full and the vehicle level. The auto system rarely comes on. At present, this is all the suspension modification I've done to my PW to hold my FW Camper and make it off-road capable. Now, as I've not had a chance to explain in this thread to this point, I may continue to modify my PW's suspension in future. Initially, I wanted to do as little as necessary to the PW to support the Camper and wheel off-road to my requirements and likes (which is different than others). Thanks for asking. Cheers.

Come out to https://powerwagonsinmoab.com - we've had guys with campers on the trail with us before.

Example: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd_Jrdvlr51/

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Meister... I'm cross-axle ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I'm on three or two wheels, sometime not. Ask anyone... Nothing I do is BORING. Plus, picking a good line off-road is all about NOT lifting wheels.

Regarding "never" lifting a tire off the ground, I really needed to say "rarely." What I was trying to explain is that my Hellwig airbags allow my rear to articulate pretty well without Daystar Cradles.

Broski, I like the cut of your jib. Do you have a newsletter? I would very much like to subscribe!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I missed this thread as it was older. It's interesting as I retire in a few years and am starting to research 4 Wheel Camper builds.

I really want a PW but noticed the payload was a bit low. I also started looking at a flatbed model from 4WC (The Grandby). I want a larger camper as I'll most likely be living in it full time for a few years.

I'm looking at a 2500 or 3500 for the extra payload but still have the ability to do some light 4x4 work getting to out of the way campsights. It would be a 2500/3500 chassis cab with a full aluminum custom flatbed then the camper goes on top.

I'll be doing a full build thread in a couple years when I'm getting ready to retire. Can't wait!

Would be interesting to hear from the original poster to how his 2500 is doing.

GadgetWiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Bock... Yes, I got Hellwig's part #6214 airbags AND their chromoly HD Rear Sway Bar (#7738). I also have installed Hellwig's auto-level system connected to my Extreme Outback Products IP68 rated dual compressors and 2.5 gallon air tank. The auto-level system keeps each bag completely full and the vehicle level. The auto system rarely comes on. At present, this is all the suspension modification I've done to my PW to hold my FW Camper and make it off-road capable. Now, as I've not had a chance to explain in this thread to this point, I may continue to modify my PW's suspension in future. Initially, I wanted to do as little as necessary to the PW to support the Camper and wheel off-road to my requirements and likes (which is different than others). Thanks for asking. Cheers.
I'm glad I found this "old" thread. I was reading your article before I found this and was bummed I couldn't find the part numbers. You also mentioned adding a spacer to the springs. Do you have a part number for that as well?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So I read through all of this...and...

To get back on topic, I don't know about other years, but my '17 specifically states that putting a truck camper in the bed WILL void the warranty as the truck is NOT rated for truck camper service...So there is that.

GadgetWiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

To get back on topic, I don't know about other years, but my '17 specifically states that putting a truck camper in the bed WILL void the warranty as the truck is NOT rated for truck camper service...So there is that.
I didn't know that. All my comments were related to towing a 7,000 lbs (loaded) boat. When I hooked it up the first time, the truck ball dropped 3 1/2 inches. I needed a solution. This is a good thread for that. I'm glad you mentioned this though.

bmhenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Not questioning your integrity; where was this information specifically stated?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not questioning your integrity; where was this information specifically stated?
There was a sheet in with the owner's manual in mine. I'd have to dig through everything in the glove box - which I don't feel like doing at the moment.

bmhenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a sheet in with the owner's manual in mine. I'd have to dig through everything in the glove box - which I don't feel like doing at the moment.

Interesting! Mine never had anything like that... I reviewed my owners manual as well yesterday; never stated anything about a camper voiding the warranty. - odd.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting! Mine never had anything like that... I reviewed my owners manual as well yesterday; never stated anything about a camper voiding the warranty. - odd.

When I bought my ‘16 there was a sheet of paper stuck on the glove box stating no slide in campers... I dont remember anything about the warranty, but they are not recommended for our trucks.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't know that. All my comments were related to towing a 7,000 lbs (loaded) boat. When I hooked it up the first time, the truck ball dropped 3 1/2 inches. I needed a solution. This is a good thread for that. I'm glad you mentioned this though.

A slide in camper is a completely different load than a heavy bumper pull trailer... very different. A trailer may put 1000 pounds give or take on the tongue... a camper could be thousands of pounds, all in the bed, all high up.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have been hauling a 2-up ATV in my Power Wagon, and it has been an interesting process. The ATV is a 2018 Can Am Outlander Max Ltd, that has a dry weight of 900 lbs. After adding fuel, and my recovery gear and tools, and other necessities in the rear storage box, it has a wet weight of 1000 lbs. Add a few more pounds for my rotopax fuel pack at the front of the bed, and our gear inside the truck, and I am probably carrying 1100 lbs. Add the weight of both occupants in the cab of the truck, and I am just over the rated cargo capacity of a Power Wagon. I have not been impressed with the Power Wagon's ability to haul this weight safely. The sway and wallowing on the freeway can get quite alarming. It will get into an oscillating swaying pattern that it tends to want to stay in. Sometimes I have had to lock my elbow against the door to hold the steering wheel perfectly still to get it to stop. Other times I have had to just let go of the steering wheel entirely to get it to stop. And other times I have had to slow down to get it to stop. My Power Wagon is entirely stock, except for 37" tires that were at 50 psi (rated max pressure for the tires).

After experiencing this there is no way I would consider carrying a slide in camper in a Power Wagon. In stock form it is not designed for it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been hauling a 2-up ATV in my Power Wagon, and it has been an interesting process. The ATV is a 2018 Can Am Outlander Max Ltd, that has a dry weight of 900 lbs. After adding fuel, and my recovery gear and tools, and other necessities in the rear storage box, it has a wet weight of 1000 lbs. Add a few more pounds for my rotopax fuel pack at the front of the bed, and our gear inside the truck, and I am probably carrying 1100 lbs. Add the weight of both occupants in the cab of the truck, and I am just over the rated cargo capacity of a Power Wagon. I have not been impressed with the Power Wagon's ability to haul this weight safely. The sway and wallowing on the freeway can get quite alarming. It will get into an oscillating swaying pattern that it tends to want to stay in. Sometimes I have had to lock my elbow against the door to hold the steering wheel perfectly still to get it to stop. Other times I have had to just let go of the steering wheel entirely to get it to stop. And other times I have had to slow down to get it to stop. My Power Wagon is entirely stock, except for 37" tires that were at 50 psi (rated max pressure for the tires).

After experiencing this there is no way I would consider carrying a slide in camper in a Power Wagon. In stock form it is not designed for it.

Yep. Installing air bags would help tremendously, but it sill wouldn’t compare to a normal 2500 setup.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
But they would have to be air bags with a separate air supply for each side. If they are connected together, then the airbags will actually make the side to side swaying worse, not better.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But they would have to be air bags with a separate air supply for each side. If they are connected together, then the airbags will actually make the side to side swaying worse, not better.

Yea. Mine are separated.