Power Wagon Down!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So you truck is still running with the misfire? Just a rough idle or something? No flashing check engine light?
Still running. At highway speeds, I can feel it stuttering, uphill or under load obvious misfire. No check engine light and no other alerts. Was supposed to drop off at dealer today.. no go. They didn't have a loaner available.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still running. At highway speeds, I can feel it stuttering, uphill or under load obvious misfire. No check engine light and no other alerts. Was supposed to drop off at dealer today.. no go. They didn't have a loaner available.
That is interesting no check engine light

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

I bet it’s the mds solenoids

The Blue Mule

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
1st dealer I took it to also said it was interesting that there was no check engine alert. More interesting is that they said it was definitely misfiring. Wonder if they pull up codes that indicate that? And why would they say it was fixed when it definitely is not? Aggravating....

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've had a couple 6.4s with bad EGR valves with similar symptoms. Studder/hesitation on light accel. No DTCs.
Did they actually drive it with a scan tool hooked up and monitor for any miss fires?
To much EGR flow will feel like a miss but usually The pcm will not count any misses.
Try unplugging the EGR and driving. (The Check Engine light will come on)

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update..

So they replaced the head and it seems to have gotten the misfire code to clear. That is a good thing. Still working on the major evap leak. Might have it back by next week! That would be so awesome

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had a couple 6.4s with bad EGR valves with similar symptoms. Studder/hesitation on light accel. No DTCs.
Did they actually drive it with a scan tool hooked up and monitor for any miss fires?
To much EGR flow will feel like a miss but usually The pcm will not count any misses.
Try unplugging the EGR and driving. (The Check Engine light will come on)
Tech I spoke with said he drove it with a laptop hooked up. I believe that's how he confirmed that it was misfiring. Was told all it needed was a, I believe he said PCM reboot? Honestly, on these new beasts, I wouldn't even know where the EGR might be hiding. Let alone unplugging crap and having the dealer say I did "unauthorized" troubleshooting and void the warranty! Just sayin... nowadays, you never know ;) But thanks for the reply and info!

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update....

Look like they solved the misfire codes with all the replacements they did.

It also appears i had a cracked valve on my gas tank that was causing a major evap leak. They are replacing my tank today. I think i will have the truck back on friday.

I really can’t wait. Been 50 something days.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Update....

Look like they solved the misfire codes with all the replacements they did.

It also appears i had a cracked valve on my gas tank that was causing a major evap leak. They are replacing my tank today. I think i will have the truck back on friday.

I really can’t wait. Been 50 something days.
You just need the new car scent added and you will feel like you did when you first got it. :)
Looks like they came through for you and covered some non covered items along the way?! ( not sure what your warranty covers)

Last edited:
OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You just the new car scent added and you will feel like you did when you first got it. :)
Looks like they came through for you and covered some non covered items along the way?! ( not sure what your warranty covers)
The dealership it is at now has the best service department I've ever dealt with. Hands down. It seems as though all the repairs are covered under power train and then the tank replacement under one of the three emissions warrantees on the truck.

I am anxious to get back all the documents with the truck to see how many hours were spent fixing various parts. I'll update you guys when i know more

Last edited:

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I know I haven't commented much here but I've been reading in earnest. Really appreciate the play by play.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
56PW17, great to hear that! Have yet to get mine back in for misfire problem I'm having, kinda hesitating cause I don't want them to start tearing it apart, and I'm without the truck for over a month! What is up with the parts availability problems on these trucks!?

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
56PW17, great to hear that! Have yet to get mine back in for misfire problem I'm having, kinda hesitating cause I don't want them to start tearing it apart, and I'm without the truck for over a month! What is up with the parts availability problems on these trucks!?
The PCM and BCM took some time to come in. I think the BCM took longer if i remember correctly. I will review the time sheets on Friday i hope.

I thought i saw you were in touch with Ramcares. Have you accelerated your case? How is the dealership you are working with?

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wow, the dealership had issues getting parts for my '18 when I was going through this a year ago! You'd think by NOW they would at LEAST have that fixed!

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The PCM and BCM took some time to come in. I think the BCM took longer if i remember correctly. I will review the time sheets on Friday i hope.

I thought i saw you were in touch with Ramcares. Have you accelerated your case? How is the dealership you are working with?
Ramcares did contact me and offered their assistance. I haven't taken the truck back to the second dealer yet, first time I tried to drop off, with an appointment, I called first and they said sorry,no loaners available. Been so busy with work, haven't had the time to deal with this. Hopefully, the misfire problem won't cause other problems....

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A717DD96-E980-44F1-A6DB-AB04FF46D1A9.jpeg 15C23B32-8BF7-42EC-A272-19F3CDAB2690.jpeg A687A8C0-8E81-4A0E-B36E-B0EF429B68C7.jpeg DDEE7D57-C798-4859-806E-E5449F5A51E7.jpeg Update....

Service center went to install the new tank today... the same roll over valve that was cracked on my tank was cracked on the brand new replacement tank. You cant make this stuff up. Will be another 4 days for a second new tank to be delivered. I do appreciate the dealer getting this right though and have made that known.

Here is the new tank with the cracked valve.

And my tank for comparison

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Oh man!

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Dang Amazon! :)

I hear ya.
I waited 8 week to get the under bumper step only see that I got one that fits a 1500 only...

Hey if they are replacing the tank again I believe there is an optional 34 gal tank?! I would kill for a bigger tank then 31 gallon one that comes on the PW.

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well folks, guess this is our future. What ever happened to good, solid, American made products?