Power Wagon front locker install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To answer a couple questions here:

I did not swap my pinion gear. It had the same cast markings as the one as the power wagon. I know what you're saying on how they should be replaced in sets, but my truck has such low mileage, and so did the donor PW, I opted to use my existing pinion gear. Pinion and ring gears are sold separately on Eaton highway tractor differentials and power dividers, and as long as they meet spec, they're good to go. I've replaced many, many of them and the bus full of nuns has all been safe. I ALWAYS check the pattern after replacing rings, pinions, side bearings, pinions bearings etc, and this was no exception. Good pattern lets me sleep well at night.

Crazy Jerry - I didnt really take note as to how thick the OD of the carrier was. It seemed to be very similar to my factory open diff I removed. I had my existing non PW ring gear bolted up to the PW carrier and it had the same type of light interference fit as my factory carrier, so I would have to assume they were designed to be the same. Problem was, I stripped the PW diff down to the carrier and removed the ring gear the weekend before doing the swap. Once I did the work on my truck and had both carriers on the bench, It was clear the PW carrier flange where the ring gear bolts to was maybe an 1/8" or so taller than the factory open diff, when the drivers side bearing/race was on the bench. I should have looked at AAM's website instead of the crappy Mopar parts lookup I was using. I lived and I learned.

The biggest takeaway from this, is that you MUST have either the factory PW ring gear if your truck is 4:10 or have a spacer if the truck is 3:55. If you're regearing anything other than that, I'm simply not sure what combo would be required.

There are two main specialty differential shops in the city near me, and neither one had dealt with this. Guess its not as common of a request than what I thought it would be. Especially being its a frozen wasteland here for half the year.

i was refering to this landing height. not the carrier flange face thickness

products-DSCN6832-80186-1522954032-1280-1280.jpg

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Understood.

I didn't measure it, but when I had both diff carriers beside each other on the bench, in similar fashion to your picture, I noted that they were very very similar to the naked eye. Like I said, i didn't measure it, but it looked to be the same between the two.

Between the two crown gears, it simply appeared that the crown gear was thicker on the carrier flange side. Instead of a spacer, that space was taken up by the gear itself.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Understood.

I didn't measure it, but when I had both diff carriers beside each other on the bench, in similar fashion to your picture, I noted that they were very very similar to the naked eye. Like I said, i didn't measure it, but it looked to be the same between the two.

Between the two crown gears, it simply appeared that the crown gear was thicker on the carrier flange side. Instead of a spacer, that space was taken up by the gear itself.

i only ask because if a guy were to use a spacer it may take up all that machined portion and leave the ring gear with nothing but the bolts as a locating mechanism. but if its nearly 1/2" tall it should be fine

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That definitely makes sense, and is a very good point.

I would not want that space taken up by a spacer, and not have the ring gear supported by the carrier.