Power Wagon on narrow, steep, shelf roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It is a DAMN good thing you had to do that double K-turn. That likely saved your life!
WOW. Not your time yet I guess.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because of automatics, a large percentage of the population has incorrectly learned to rely only on the parking pawl to keep the vehicle from rolling. This is a lot to ask of a small metal hook, especially when used across the expected lifespan of the vehicle. Best technique is to stop, put it in neutral, apply the parking brake, come off the foot brake to let the bound up suspension relax, and then shift to park. That way the parking brake is takes the primary load and the pawl is a backup. The brakes are a wear part, easily serviced, and as such should be the primary device.

The step of putting it into neutral is a PITA with the shift dial, much easier with a console shifter. But at least get the parking brake set before releasing the foot brake and shifting into park. This little guy will thank you.

Also to note: NEVER winch without using the foot brake to hold the vehicle. 12,000 lbs of force is too much for either the single-axle parking brake or the parking pawl.

View attachment 225731

it must of been some 25yr ago i learned to use neutral and parking break before park. but some people are none the wiser and end up on a forum like this guy, with a destroyed pawl https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47359

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
it must of been some 25yr ago i learned to use neutral and parking break before park. but some people are none the wiser and end up on a forum like this guy, with a destroyed pawl https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47359

I'm probably going to get flamed from this... but too many kids have been taught to drive by single moms and/or have never had a military/LE driver training. Meeting the minimum standards for a Driver License and learning best practices for operating a motor vehicle are two entirely different concepts.

I'm only one beer in, be gentle. Flame suit on. ;-)

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
I'm probably going to get flamed from this... but too many kids have been taught to drive by single moms and/or have never had a military/LE driver training. Meeting the minimum standards for a Driver License and learning best practices for operating a motor vehicle are two entirely different concepts.

I'm only one beer in, be gentle. Flame suit on. ;-)
My Dad, and Grandpa taught my Brother , and I how to Drive. Both Ex Military. I taught myself how to Drive a Stick. I bought my first Stick "Second Car" , and proceeded to learn by myself. The hard, or easy way. Depending on how you look at it.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
With Telluride and Ouray renting jeeps to just about anybody its a wonder it doesn't happen more often. Saw many rookies going over imogene pass with wide eyes and panicked in the middle of the trail.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With Telluride and Ouray renting jeeps to just about anybody its a wonder it doesn't happen more often. Saw many rookies going over imogene pass with wide eyes and panicked in the middle of the trail.

Im not a seasoned vet by anny means when it comes to wheeling, but I can hold my own here in northern michigan. But, when I went out to moab last year...holy ****. It doesnt help that I am extremely scared of heights, but wow there is some **** out there I flat out got out of the vehicle and walked LOL

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I've done a LOT of crazy, danger close stuff all my life. Driving a 7,000 lb Chrysler product on that road will NOT be attempted! I guess once you hit 60 you start paying attention when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
If that dude with the camera didn't have to do a Double K Turn, he would have been right where the jeep came down. They both would be at the bottom! KISMET!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I've done a LOT of crazy, danger close stuff all my life. Driving a 7,000 lb Chrysler product on that road will NOT be attempted! I guess once you hit 60 you start paying attention when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
If that dude with the camera didn't have to do a Double K Turn, he would have been right where the jeep came down. They both would be at the bottom! KISMET!

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
On U.S. 550 to Black Bear Road there have been a few who have survived driving off of it...

AR-140629751.jpg

download (2).jpeg

Last edited:

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Know your vehicle and its limitations. I've been 4 wheeling in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California ever since my Dad purchased an International 4x4 in 1962. I learned to drive it off-road at 13. My older brothers were my instructors. Mishaps happen on our steep and narrow cliff roads. Life is too short to stop from enjoying it if a tragedy happens. The Power Wagon is a much more capable vehicle than a 1962 International truck.

In memory of...

http://byhigh.org/History/HoleintheRock/Hole-in-the-Rock.html

Oh man, I almost binned it there once rallying that road way too fast. That's a gnarly section with a really blind crest into Sooner Wash heading north if you're going full tilt baja in the dark.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Oh man, I almost binned it there once rallying that road way too fast. That's a gnarly section with a really blind crest into Sooner Wash heading north if you're going full tilt baja in the dark.

I've looked up from my boat on Lake Powell at the Hole in the Rock, but not at it from the road. It's really a long steep narrow climb up for anything, especially for loaded wagons.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I've looked up from my boat on Lake Powell at the Hole in the Rock, but not at it from the road. It's really a long steep narrow climb up for anything, especially for loaded wagons.

The fear of god is a pretty ****** up thing.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Didn't see this video posted on here but it's definitely the right spot for it:

The commentary is hilarious.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Didn't see this video posted on here but it's definitely the right spot for it:

The commentary is hilarious.
I just watched the entire video. What I learned today - "gravity is consistent". :happy175:

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There's definitely a 'hold my beer and watch this' type. This guy is the antithesis of that. Those roads really aren't that bad, full size or otherwise.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
There's definitely a 'hold my beer and watch this' type. This guy is the antithesis of that. Those roads really aren't that bad, full size or otherwise.

This guy shouldn't even suggest that "someone" should CUT that rock away on the "switchback from hell". So he scratches his Randy Ellis Design rock slider on that rock. Isn't that what they're there for? No doubt "someone" will watch this video and then go up there to destroy with a sledge hammer the only portion of this entire trail that's hell.

Or is it the only?...
Jensroll.jpg

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just got back from Moab and I will say Moab is more suited for the jeeps. I go 2X a year and this is the first time in the PW. great time to be there tho as nobody was on the trail. Camped on White rim and does not get any better.
DE808131_60F1_4BFA_BB0D_052BA2508594(1).jpg

CA710F20_F43F_4268_AF8A_C267480DF826_1_201_a(1).jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam