Power Wagon Quirks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doing some homework for a possible PW purchase and ran across a youtuber who had a couple of problems with his. I'm wondering if they are in fact problems.

First he said he has problems filling up with gas as in the pump clicks off after a few gallons. He claims it takes forever to fill the tank because of the constant clicking off while filling.

Second issue he had was hood vibration at modest speeds. Claims the hood is very light and flimsy and said it could be a problem at the car wash when the blower/dryer hits it.

Anyone else notice these or any other problems?

I originally didn't post the video in question but will add it here now so folks can see what I am referring to. Not sure why he disabled comments...

Last edited:

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The biggest problem with my power wagon is that people keep looking at it, please mind your own business people. It also stops the earths rotation if I accelerate too fast. Other than that I’ve had zero problems with my power wagon so far.

0E3D26EA-E8DE-439A-9098-FD6B64AA537D.jpeg

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info! His tank filling must be specific to his own truck and not across the board.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The tank filling is a ram issue. My 2500 does it. My wife’s 17 1500 does it. Not all the time some stations o have no issues with it. I think it’s a pump issue vs a ram issue. But who knows. FYI I have a 14 2500 125k miles. No real issues. Common issues are hubs and trans issues.

DKONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Truck is awesome!!! I do have the gas issue. Pump shutting off acting full all the time. Only other downside is rear cab mounts rattle like hell hitting sharp bumps. We shall see if I could fix these because this is a great truck. I hate those 2 things that’s it.

DKONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh ya mine is a 2019 power wagon for reference.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In general, I think you run into minor to major problems on any new vehicle, regardless of make or model. Typically the people with the biggest problems are the most vocal (which is totally understandable). I've heard of the hood issue and most people resolve it by adjusting the hood stops. I've had a couple minor issues on mine as well (2019) but nothing really annoying.

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I am ready to pop smoke when the production line is back up and running and the country returns to somewhat normal. Got to sell my 2012 Laramie first, I'll miss her, she's been a great truck. My great wife signed off on the new truck last night. So I will have a bunch of questions for you PW veterans.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info! His tank filling must be specific to his own truck and not across the board.

maybe it was that specific gas station and he was to stupid to try a different pump? never in 3yrs have i had that problem

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No issues getting gas but my 20015 hasn't been without problems. Most are the common ones people complain about like noisy engine/lifters, crappy shift point programming, junk factory drag link that's been welded, and a myriad of other recalls. I still like the truck but I'm jealous of the 8-speed the 2019/2020 trucks.

I'd hold off buying a 2019/2020 until they revise those clunky cab mounts. They would annoy the crap out of me.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doing some homework for a possible PW purchase and ran across a youtuber who had a couple of problems with his. I'm wondering if they are in fact problems.

First he said he has problems filling up with gas as in the pump clicks off after a few gallons. He claims it takes forever to fill the tank because of the constant clicking off while filling.

Second issue he had was hood vibration at modest speeds. Claims the hood is very light and flimsy and said it could be a problem at the car wash when the blower/dryer hits it.

Anyone else notice these or any other problems?
Neither one of those items are Power Wagon specific and therefore would affect all Ram 2500 trucks of that generation. I have a '16 and do not have either one of those issues. For hood, I would want to look at the latch adjustment as maybe it's not closing tight enough.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 PW with 29,000 miles. No problems at all. The hood issues probably can be corrected with adjustment which there is a good thread on here to correct. Mine did have the break cable rubbing the frame/bracket on the rear drivers side. Only did it off road and noticed it prior to buying the truck. This forum let me figure it out before I bought the truck which was basically taping it down so it doesn’t rub. I didnt let the dealership know I figured it out and used it to negotiated the price of their squeaky truck. PW would be perfect for Big Sky Country! I’ve been fishing out there 7 or so times and everybody owns a Ram in the rural areas. Can’t say I even saw a Chevy and only saw a few Fords.

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2018 PW with 29,000 miles. No problems at all. The hood issues probably can be corrected with adjustment which there is a good thread on here to correct. Mine did have the break cable rubbing the frame/bracket on the rear drivers side. Only did it off road and noticed it prior to buying the truck. This forum let me figure it out before I bought the truck which was basically taping it down so it doesn’t rub. I didnt let the dealership know I figured it out and used it to negotiated the price of their squeaky truck. PW would be perfect for Big Sky Country! I’ve been fishing out there 7 or so times and everybody owns a Ram in the rural areas. Can’t say I even saw a Chevy and only saw a few Fords.

I hunt in some crazy places that have increased the pucker factor. I would like to configure the new truck to fit my needs. Hunted with some buddies and had a few elk stacked in the bed with gear. One thing I would like to do is get a winch in the back to make loading those beasts easier!

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Here is the video I was referring to in the OP.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hunt in some crazy places that have increased the pucker factor. I would like to configure the new truck to fit my needs. Hunted with some buddies and had a few elk stacked in the bed with gear. One thing I would like to do is get a winch in the back to make loading those beasts easier!
The real pucker comes when you’ve hiked miles beyond the last person and you come across a grizzly track! Holy **** that’s bigger than I thought and all I have is a fly rod and pepper spray. At least in AL I’m the top of the food chain!

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The real pucker comes when you’ve hiked miles beyond the last person and you come across a grizzly track! Holy **** that’s bigger than I thought and all I have is a fly rod and pepper spray. At least in AL I’m the top of the food chain!

When I head out, I take my 10mm! Last season some of my buddies went out and had a wolf come within 25 yards of them. They were sitting on the ground at the time. He had a wolf tag in his pocket which he filled!

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My boat does that but not my PW. I wonder if it’s the velocity of the fuel coming out of the pump. With my boat, I set the catch on the nozzle on a middle notch to slow the fuel coming out.