Power Wagon vs 2500 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DNKLYF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hey all,

Wanted to get opinions on the PW vs 2500 Cummins. I’m in the market for one of these vehicles to build an overland vehicle. No crazy rock crawling but some decent off roading /expeditions. My budget is about $70K which is the cost of a new PW or a lightly used Cummins. Outside of overlanding it will be used around town, hardware store runs, taking the wife and dog hiking etc. I’ll occasionally drive it to work which is about 60miles round trip.

I won’t be towing any crazy weights so either platform will do just fine. With either one I plan to upgrade to a Carli Pintop suspension, 35’s, bed/roof rack, sliders etc.

The benefits to the PW that I see are:
Better off-road capability from the factory
Factory winch
Can afford a brand new vehicle (never had a new car/truck)
Factory front & rear lockers, sway bar disconnect

Benefits of the Cummins:
More durible
Higher torque
Better MPG for longer expeditions & with increased payload
Better resale value

Seems the PW would be better off the lot, but the Cummins may offer longer term benefits. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

Whiskey13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have owned two Cummins trucks and also two Power Wagons. Love them both for what their intended use is. I personally would go with the power wagon for overlanding just simply because of the weight of the Cummins in the front end.
The Cummins will give you better fuel range but in the middle of the night when that storm hits and you are out in the boonies the pawer wagon will get you back to the hard.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yup unless you really need the towing capabilities and the payload I'd stick with the power wagon.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The bad to me and why I did not buy another Cummins is all the emissions crap, much higher cost, a transmission I don’t like and it just seems to cost more to own. But if you need a diesel it’s what you want to buy.

I am really liking my PW and very glad it’s the truck I picked over all the others I was looking at.

Attachments

• 0D307A2D-9814-4FA2-B4DA-4859D7A5FD32.jpeg
    0D307A2D-9814-4FA2-B4DA-4859D7A5FD32.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 15

Big_Papa_R

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
I think it all depends on what you want to do with it. PW are sweet but if you wanting to put big bumpers on and and a bunch of cargo in the back your kinda limited. When I was looking i found a new basic bighorn Cummins was cheaper then pw. It left me with enough for a lift tires and led lighting.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
At the OP.
The Cummins would be trickier to mount a winch behind the bumper what with all the radiators and stuff behind the grill. MOST of the mods you would be doing would be the same as for Cummins vs. PW, though the disconnect-able sway bar is a nice factory addition to have. That being said, our Cummins on Thuren suspension gets us plenty far offroad on 37s very easily and we now use it very much as you have described since we sold the TT last year.

Ch

TorqueWagon

Reaction score
Westmost point in the contiguous United States
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have owned two Cummins trucks and also two Power Wagons. Love them both for what their intended use is. I personally would go with the power wagon for overlanding just simply because of the weight of the Cummins in the front end.
The Cummins will give you better fuel range but in the middle of the night when that storm hits and you are out in the boonies the pawer wagon will get you back to the hard.
I gotta agree with the fact that the diesel is just so heavy in the front it is not well suited for snow or mud off road.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hey all,

Wanted to get opinions on the PW vs 2500 Cummins. I’m in the market for one of these vehicles to build an overland vehicle. No crazy rock crawling but some decent off roading /expeditions. My budget is about $70K which is the cost of a new PW or a lightly used Cummins. Outside of overlanding it will be used around town, hardware store runs, taking the wife and dog hiking etc. I’ll occasionally drive it to work which is about 60miles round trip.

I won’t be towing any crazy weights so either platform will do just fine. With either one I plan to upgrade to a Carli Pintop suspension, 35’s, bed/roof rack, sliders etc.

The benefits to the PW that I see are:
Better off-road capability from the factory
Factory winch
Can afford a brand new vehicle (never had a new car/truck)
Factory front & rear lockers, sway bar disconnect

Benefits of the Cummins:
More durible
Higher torque
Better MPG for longer expeditions & with increased payload
Better resale value

Seems the PW would be better off the lot, but the Cummins may offer longer term benefits. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
You're going to want to go with the PW. No disrespect to the Cummins as it's a great motor and the non-PW 2500 is a great platform, but the difference in payload isn't all that stellar (because the Cummins weighs so freakin much). Tow rating is a significant difference, but you're not really looking to pull heavy loads, you're wanting to overland.

The PW has a better weight distribution, since it's not as nose-heavy. Which means some of those questionable maneuvers out in the back country won't be quite so hair-raising. It already has a rock-solid winch, disconnecting sway bar when you really need articulation, on-command lockers for when you really need grip, and more than enough power to do anything you think you might want to do.

Overall it's the better platform for what you're wanting to do. There's less work involved to get it where you want it to be, and while it does suck the fuel down, I still say the better weight distribution is going to be worth it.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you plan on modifying it with larger tires don’t buy a PW. Buy just a regular model and a suspension upgrade.

You won’t use the disconnecting sway bar if you run larger tires, they don’t have the clearance to flex.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went though the same debate and ended up with the PW. Was it the better choice? Off-road, weight is your enemy. I had a Cummins dually and it would get stuck in 2wd in wet grass and sand was its nemesis. The PW is lighter and rides better and you don't have to throw $3-$5k in suspension and wheels and tires to feel confident off-road.

The big Hemi is a truly great running engine with gobs of torque and a beautiful sound. I can loaf down a west Texas highway at 85mph loaded down with a head wind on 35's and she doesn't feel like she is breaking a sweat. Consider the extra cost of oil changes, diesel prices and def fluid and it will take a very long time to break even cost wise due to the up front diesel engine cost. But you offset that with the Power Wagon package cost. They are close to the same price for the Tradesman versions.

In the end, I am glad I went PW because the Hemi runs great, it is lighter, it is unique to own (there are millions of Cummins running around), has a built in winch and suspension upgrades, you don't have to mess with def fluid and the stupid regen cycles, and the maintenance costs are less. 20 years ago, gas V8s in HD trucks were terrible so it didn't make sense to not have the diesel. That is no longer the case.

However, if you are towing a big travel trailer, then the PW is not the right choice....consider it to have closer to 1/2 ton capability in that regard.

20210729_170222.jpg

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Why not get the 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi, Off Road package and add a winch and whatever other goodies you want on it and for $70k you could do a lot with it.

r56ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Higher cost of diesel fuel and higher diesel engine service will wash out all and more of the $ savings from better MPG.

Ive owned and still do own diesel trucks , the ride is harsh unless you carry 500 -600 lbs in the bed, the heavy front end will plow a field in the mud and resale value considerations will not wash out the up front cost difference.

If you need to tow HEAVY frequently go cummins , that is the ONLY logical reason for diesel. HEAVY is not 6 or 7000 lbs as many folks believe.

If towing 12,000 lbs every once in awhile just do it, IT IS A TRUCK, its made to work for YOU not made for you to baby IT . Towing heavy is more about stopping than going if you are inside the tow capacity of the truck.

IMO

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Here's a vendor that for only $24.99 will make any Cummins a Power Wagon...s-l1600-74.jpg

JG-Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think you should buy my 29,000 mile ****** Power Wagon with the Laramie package and then take the savings and convert it to an AEV Prospector!