Power wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's a specific build for a specific purpose, no doubt about it.

I had a 2012 Power Wagon, I now have a 2017 6.4L Crew Cab 2500 with the 4x4 package. The Power Wagon was a rock crawler, the 2017 is a much better all rounder. Just my opinion, but drawn from experience.

This guy knows whats up. Nevermind that the 2012 is was a different suspension, engine, and transmission...The regular 2500 with 4x4 package is better.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The data sheet is designed to keep the unwashed away. Probably the same reason RAM doesn't go out of it's way to publish comparisons like the OP wants. I don't know why you'd want a Power Wagon anyway, it's not any good and you wouldn't be happy.

Look how lame Power Wagons are. Lockers, winch, lift, 37's. LAME! I mean it won't even pull an RV or anything. A 1500 is probably better for you.

OY0T1QW.jpg

They suck offroad too.

ezFVldo.jpg

j87K1rj.jpg

RomB0pw.jpg

Where's the picture in the mountains taken? Looks beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
This guy knows whats up. Nevermind that the 2012 is was a different suspension, engine, and transmission...The regular 2500 with 4x4 package is better.

That's basically what I did - bought a '15 2500 Tradesman SC/LB with the plow package and skid plates, then set about making my own version of a PW that I feel is closer to the spirit of the original. I did wheels & tires, PW flares, LED head and tail lights, badging (plus some debadging) plus a tonneau cover and side steps. I have a gooseneck hitch on order, and an exhaust system is next after that.

2016_pwkitty.jpg

There's a guy at work who has a "real" PW - here's mine beside his for comparison of ride height (mine is stock, as is his):

powerwagoncompare.jpg

I needed a stout farm truck with 4WD and don't ever do any rock crawling, so I built the PW I would have liked to have been able to buy. I delivered 200 bales of hay today, and one of the customers is on a bad gravel drive with a ~20% grade down and up across a creekbed, which my truck handled with aplomb (just 40 bales in the bed, no trailer - I'm not *that* dumb!).

2016_ram-hay.jpg

That said, I wouldn't mind having an original, too!

1954-power-wagon.jpg

es

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I like your truck but you should take off the dumb badges. It's like putting La Ferrari stickers on a 458 because you bought wider rear tires. Both are fine trucks, it's just kind of tacky and embarrassing. What you're doing is affectionately called a "Poser Wagon".

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
not even close. have you not looked at pictures ? theres not a single common thing except the made in mexico sticker in the door jam
The new power wagon and the rebel look pretty much the same aside from height. Not feature wise just looks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new power wagon and the rebel look pretty much the same aside from height. Not feature wise just looks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

for '17 I guess there is a similar look ( in the heat of the moment when I posted, my mind was thinking of previous years). but beneath any similar 'look', the trucks couldn't be more different. a brief google search of the trucks will answer most any question a guy could possibly think of, regarding the differences

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I like your truck but you should take off the dumb badges. It's like putting La Ferrari stickers on a 458 because you bought wider rear tires. Both are fine trucks, it's just kind of tacky and embarrassing. What you're doing is affectionately called a "Poser Wagon".

I have to disagree. In my opinion "tacky & embarrassing" are these guys who put large tires & lift kits on trucks that only see "off road" when they pull into their gravel driveway. But really at the end of the day it's your truck, your money, so do what you want. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi

The regular 2500 with 4x4 package is a better all rounder, the Power Wagon is better for it's specific purpose. What part of that is wrong?

Did the new suspension, engine and transmission all of a sudden make the Power Wagon tow and haul like a standard 2500? Can you get a Mega cab Power Wagon? Or a Cummins Power Wagon?

(I spend a lot of time on other "hostile forums" so if you were agreeing with me, my apologies. :) )

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That's basically what I did - bought a '15 2500 Tradesman SC/LB with the plow package and skid plates, then set about making my own version of a PW that I feel is closer to the spirit of the original. I did wheels & tires, PW flares, LED head and tail lights, badging (plus some debadging) plus a tonneau cover and side steps. I have a gooseneck hitch on order, and an exhaust system is next after that.

2016_pwkitty.jpg

There's a guy at work who has a "real" PW - here's mine beside his for comparison of ride height (mine is stock, as is his):

powerwagoncompare.jpg

I needed a stout farm truck with 4WD and don't ever do any rock crawling, so I built the PW I would have liked to have been able to buy. I delivered 200 bales of hay today, and one of the customers is on a bad gravel drive with a ~20% grade down and up across a creekbed, which my truck handled with aplomb (just 40 bales in the bed, no trailer - I'm not *that* dumb!).

2016_ram-hay.jpg

That said, I wouldn't mind having an original, too!

1954-power-wagon.jpg

es

Nice!

Though the original 1954 makes all of our trucks look silly.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
At the Ram dealership today for three recall fixes and the service person parked my Power Wagon next to another Power Wagon. I liked its skinny Nitto 37 11.50R20 tires due to living in the High Country of Colorado it isn't a bad thing to have when getting through our deep mountain snow. I run 285 75R17 vs a wider tire on my Power Wagon for this reason.

Then I noticed the Cummins label. Talked to the service woman who proceeded to start up a definite 2500 diesel engine. Nice Power Wagon emblem on the back of the tailgate.

Too bad that it was a Poser Wagon. It broke my appreciation of it.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Call me Mc-Dreamy ... I’d Love a 4th gen Cummins with a Carli/Thuren long travel kit with Full electric Lockers and sway disconnects and a Winch. The diesel has the torque to smoke 37”s all day long while still netting a respectable fuel mileage and not needing to stop at every fuel station... sorry for the rant fellas, just give”s me a wi bit of a chub thinking about it....