Power windows work with ignition off and door open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportsman70003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2003 Ram 1500 5.7. My power windows seem to have power all the time, Ignition switch can be off and the door open and all the windows will still roll up or down. I also seem to have a drain on the battery. I've replaced the battery twice in the last 3 months. What would cause this and what can I check?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Use a multi meter and check power through tipcm (fuse box) to find what circuit the drain is coming from. Good luck bud, electrical isues suck!

It’s probably a short somewhere or corroded pins/connections, grounds etc.
Start tracing wires and look for broken or melted wires/connectors etc.

OP
OP
sportsman70003

sportsman70003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use a multi meter and check power through tipcm (fuse box) to find what circuit the drain is coming from. Good luck bud, electrical isues suck!

It’s probably a short somewhere or corroded pins/connections, grounds etc.
Start tracing wires and look for broken or melted wires/connectors etc.

The draw is coming from fuse 51 RADIO/CLUSTER.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
The draw is coming from fuse 51 RADIO/CLUSTER.

Those are always going to have a small amount of constant voltage for memory. What were the readings? I’m not sure the exact spec but it shouldn’t be more than .5v probably less.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Now comes the hard part, finding the broken, melted, corroded, etc, wire or connection somewhere.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First place I would check is between the door and can where the wires are constantly flex when opening and closing the door.

OP
OP
sportsman70003

sportsman70003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those are always going to have a small amount of constant voltage for memory. What were the readings? I’m not sure the exact spec but it shouldn’t be more than .5v probably less.

80 mA. They say anything over 50 mA is excessive. I did have alot larger draw but it was the light staying on in the glove box and I fixed that.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just a quick thought... I'm not sure about your 03' but most vehicles allow the radio and window power to work for so many minutes after the ignition is off. But, when a door is opened before the time expires, this terminates that connection. It would have to be done through the interior switch on the door jamb. It's worth a look.

And as stated above... Electrical issues suck!

OP
OP
sportsman70003

sportsman70003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a quick thought... I'm not sure about your 03' but most vehicles allow the radio and window power to work for so many minutes after the ignition is off. But, when a door is opened before the time expires, this terminates that connection. It would have to be done through the interior switch on the door jamb. It's worth a look.

And as stated above... Electrical issues suck!

Thats a good ideal. I will look at that switch. I have not had the truck but a few months. The radio goes off as soon as I turn the switch off and I thought it would stay on till I open my door but it doesn't. Is that normal?

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thats a good ideal. I will look at that switch. I have not had the truck but a few months. The radio goes off as soon as I turn the switch off and I thought it would stay on till I open my door but it doesn't. Is that normal?

I don't know is that's normal in an 03'. Someone with one will chime in and fill you in. In the newer trucks, the time is adjustable.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I don’t think that option came until 06 but I’m not 100 about it. I do know that my old 02 didn’t.

OP
OP
sportsman70003

sportsman70003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turns out I was turning the key switch back to accessory and pulling the key out. My switch is worn.