powerwagon body swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belvedere67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys. Been here for a while reading and learning. Great site. I recently was able to pick up a 41 WC 1/2 ton military dodge truck. Still has the olive drab paint with the military numbers on the hood. Id like to do a full body swap. A 99 -03 dodge durango has the same wheel base. I recently measured a V8 motor in one of these beast and it would be an extremly tight fit. I think a V6 motor would fit better. Just wondering of anyone else out they has done something similar and the problems they ran into. I could use a dakota or full sized ram , I would just have to shorten the frame. Thanks in advance for the help.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know a guy that could probably give advice if no one chimes in. He restores old Jeep and puts in all Chevy drivetrain parts. He is usually familiar with everything Mopar or Chevy. Pics?

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not a fabricator or even skilled enough to think the process through. In the event I had a vintage WC and wanted to do something cool with it I think I'd drop in a 4bt Cummins, NV4500 trans from a 2nd gen cummins, and swap in new axles and upgrade the suspension. Reinforce the frame as needed of course. That setup would require almost zero electronic work except for gauges.

Good luck with whatever you build and post some pictures.

OP
OP
B

belvedere67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I though about doing that but that motor would be very large. Maybe its not possible but I dont want to butcher the cab up too much. I figure a V6 would be a better fit.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I though about doing that but that motor would be very large. Maybe its not possible but I dont want to butcher the cab up too much. I figure a V6 would be a better fit.

Gotcha. Does the WC have a shorter hood than regular PW of the same vintage? The 4bt swap is popular in early PW's due to being only 4 cylinders and obviously shorter and lighter than the 5.9 6bt.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Instead of the 4BT Cummins, Look into the R2.8 Cummins crate motor, it has all the electronics needed to run the engine and is compact enough to fit in a Jeep.
https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower

TRad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm working on a 41 Dodge truck. I wanted all Mopar so i did a 98' Dakota swap. It is a regular cab short box with the 5.2 v8. I had to move the engine back 6" to get enough room for a rad. Wheel base was 4" shorter and i took it out of the bed length.
2900ce80acbb964b2ca035b13ecaba3f.jpg

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
The I6 4.0 out of a TJ should work. I had that engine on my 2000 Jeep and it was so simple to work on. I would not win a drag race but the Jeep climbed well through the mountains of CO on the 33” with out issues.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys. Been here for a while reading and learning. Great site. I recently was able to pick up a 41 WC 1/2 ton military dodge truck. Still has the olive drab paint with the military numbers on the hood. Id like to do a full body swap. A 99 -03 dodge durango has the same wheel base. I recently measured a V8 motor in one of these beast and it would be an extremly tight fit. I think a V6 motor would fit better. Just wondering of anyone else out they has done something similar and the problems they ran into. I could use a dakota or full sized ram , I would just have to shorten the frame. Thanks in advance for the help.

So what exactly is it you want to do? Swap the old body onto newer running gear/frame, or swap newer running gear into the old body/frame?

OP
OP
B

belvedere67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to put the cab and box off of my 41 and put in on a newer chassis. Id have modern brakes,steering.motor , and transmission. Make it user freindly,safer, and funner to drive. A 99 through 03 durango has the same wheel base so I thought it would be the easiest to use.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to put the cab and box off of my 41 and put in on a newer chassis. Id have modern brakes,steering.motor , and transmission. Make it user freindly,safer, and funner to drive. A 99 through 03 durango has the same wheel base so I thought it would be the easiest to use.

I got what you are saying now....

Whats the wheelbase? I think a 2nd gen dodge pickup would be a better setup myself. My short box regular cab was 118” if i remember correctly. At least you would have a solid axle, and they are a dime a dozen considering most have completely rotted out bodies by now.

OP
OP
B

belvedere67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
from what ive seen online both the powerwagon and 99 through 03 durango have a 116 wheel base. I thought about looking at a dakoata or full sized i would just have to shorten the frame.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
from what ive seen online both the powerwagon and 99 through 03 durango have a 116 wheel base. I thought about looking at a dakoata or full sized i would just have to shorten the frame.

Pretty sure my 2000 dodge 1500 single cab short box was a 118” wheel base. And a donor truck should be fairly easy to find. And there are parts galore for drivetrain and such.

I just looked it up online...looks like it specs at 118.7”. That would be pretty darn close.