Pre 2021 1500’s- how do they compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nashveygus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am thoroughly enjoying my first Ram 2021 Laramie Sport 4x4 with most of the bells and whistles, just over 2000 miles since August 2021. Bought it new sight unseen off the lot in Sparta TN end of July 2021- below invoice. Only options I might have chosen were the air suspension, panoramic roof, dual fold tailgate and GT option if I was building it to order. It’s loaded otherwise and is quieter and smoother and runs and rides better than my wife’s Lexus GS350 or any car or similar truck I have ever driven in my 64+ years, period. The Harmon Cardon sound system is great and I’m happy with the 8.4 screen. Even did my first oil change around 700 miles, no problems (get a oil filter vice grip from Harbor Freight you’ll need it).

So, how does this model compare to prior years? When did Ram produce a similar model or is this the GOAT? Do the Limited or higher end Ram 1500 models for 2021 perform any better or is it a wash- all things equal?

Love this forum- thanks for all the post!

daleone3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am thoroughly enjoying my first Ram 2021 Laramie Sport 4x4 with most of the bells and whistles, just over 2000 miles since August 2021. Bought it new sight unseen off the lot in Sparta TN end of July 2021- below invoice. Only options I might have chosen were the air suspension, panoramic roof, dual fold tailgate and GT option if I was building it to order. It’s loaded otherwise and is quieter and smoother and runs and rides better than my wife’s Lexus GS350 or any car or similar truck I have ever driven in my 64+ years, period. The Harmon Cardon sound system is great and I’m happy with the 8.4 screen. Even did my first oil change around 700 miles, no problems (get a oil filter vice grip from Harbor Freight you’ll need it).

So, how does this model compare to prior years? When did Ram produce a similar model or is this the GOAT? Do the Limited or higher end Ram 1500 models for 2021 perform any better or is it a wash- all things equal?

I just ordered a 2022 reg. cab express with the blackout package. Curious what other share. My last Ram was about six years ago and was identical to what I ordered and I loved it. Going to get a couple add one to address the stop run feature and something to delete the cylinder shut down feature. Not a fan of either “upgrade”

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The last year of the Gen4 in Sport Night package loaded is the GOAT. Esp with 3.92 gears. Imho of course….

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had a 2020 Laramie that rode just as smoothly as my current 2021 Limited. The 2017 Rebel I used to own drove like a tank compared to either 5th gen I've owned. My daughter has a 2019 Rebel that rides nearly as well as my Limited does. 5th gens just ride better. And my truck is the GOAT LOL. Details in my sig below.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
2019..I bought one of the first '19s around me and it has been great. several of my friends have offered to buy mine when I want to trade for something else. they cant believe how nice it rides and the "reclining" back seat has impressed quite a few folks. I had a really nice '17 GMC sierra 4x4 ccsb with all the bells and whistles but it was not near as nice inside or as peppy and sporty feeling to drive.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'm an old school Dodge Truck/Ram Truck guy.

My first Ram was a Power Wagon from 1979. As memory serves, I couldn't kill it. Used it up at least three or four times, and it was still cheaper and easier to fix than buying anything else. I had a young mans bones and sturdy back, so of course the thing ran smoothly.

Then onto a 1999 which got wrecked - I remember thinking the gas mileage was awful and I blamed that ridiculous transmission that would kick down a gear for only a gust of wind ... and two gears if the incline was only 11 degrees with an empty bed.

Insurance didn't pay out well and I got into a 2002 Ram. This was a dealer demo and had all the bells and whistles. It looked nice inside and out, but there was something off about the ride. Softer, almost spongy and again, that gas mileage was atrocious and sold it a few years later.

Tried a few other brands over the years.

Then rented a Ram for 2 weeks in 2020 for a long trip. I was impressed. It was a Rental so it was standard shock system, but it still drove well and handled the load we took that trip for, bringing it back without a single issue. I didn't like my 'other brand' as much after that trip.

In July, I was T-***** in an intersection by a Drunk Driver doing 60+/- in a 25 MPH Zone. On the corner was a Ram Dealer. While we waited for Police, Ambulances, tow trucks, I was watching a delivery truck full of Rams getting offloaded. I knew there was no inventory of any new vehicles, yet now I needed one immediately.

I went in and bought the 2021 Ram Limited with every damn option on it.

It is head and shoulders above the one I rented just a year earlier. I'm not saying that makes the base model any less of a vehicle. I am saying that a fully loaded, Air Suspension, 1500, Limited is THEE BEST iteration of any pickup on the market today (except for the Android Auto/UConnect phone connection system, but that may soon have a fix).
My trucks have always been for endless, DIY projects, not contracting jobs, and tow my race cars/equipt, so they are usually the vehicle that sits a week or so before using it. But now, I take this truck over my loaded BMW and all purpose Honda. I might sell the Honda as I'm not using it at all.

Love this generation Ram.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
05 3500 Cummins, rode fine with 1000 lbs in the back or at high speed oddly enough.
17 Limited seemed to ride as good as fifth gen.
19 limited seemed to be the same ride as the 17.
21 limited with 3.92 and the best yet. ride is the same but part of the ride for me is the 8 speed going through the 3.92. glad I bought when I did. The local dealership is a ghost town compared to pre plandemic.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
here in the DFW area, some dealers have asked their employees to park out front so it looks like they are still in business. I have been shopping for a 2500. one pretty big time dealer only had 1 yesterday. the dealer I bought my '19 from has 1 laramie 2500 gasser and a cpl. tradesman but everything else is "in transit". this is all seems kinda fishy to me. on an RV site there was a blog about how great the new Tundra TRD pro is for towing so I did a search for some to check out and there was only 1 available in the whole metro area. it just doesnt make sense. Also shouldnt all the stockpiled trucks that were built and set aside for chips be available for sale by now or was that whole thing just a tall tale.

FakeDistress703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Hi. Great purchase of a truck. I’ve had the fortune to drive both a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn short bed 4x4 and a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4. The 2021 jusr rides so much smoother. It may be the coil springs but it’s smoother, quieter, it feels less heavy and big, and honeslty ice loved driving it. Now the 2017 is a great truck I liked driving it but in my opinion, the 2021 is the GOAT.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I owned ‘17 1500 big horn that I bought off a lot when my BMW e38 machined itself some new features on the head on a road trip. Knew literally nothing about it. Ended up loving it so much, market craziness made it too stupid to hold on to at 5 years old, so I went all in and ordered the ‘22 limited to my spec. I had never owned a pickup until that ‘17, and it was so good in every way I decided to just have it as my commuter, Fuel consumption be darned. It’s no worse than that e 38 was and I don’t feel like I have compromised on comfort.