Premature Worn Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyWhats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What's up guy, have a '19 PW, just about a year old now with 12K miles. The steering wheel has begun to wear in my opinion very premature based on the age/use of the truck. Has anyone experienced this, or dealt with FCA regarding a warranty claim?

HLZPBFev6WmhVTHr9

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Picture isn’t working

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
What's up guy, have a '19 PW, just about a year old now with 12K miles. The steering wheel has begun to wear in my opinion very premature based on the age/use of the truck. Has anyone experienced this, or dealt with FCA regarding a warranty claim?

HLZPBFev6WmhVTHr9
Welcome. Yes I had my whole top portion of the wheel peel. I report on my thread PW in the Smoky Mountains. I was ultimately covered under warranty. It took @RamCares to get involved. They kept my truck over night and gave me a loaner. Good luck.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for $15 you can put a cover on the steering wheel. thats what ive done on every vehicle. then it will still be like new after 20year

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for $15 you can put a cover on the steering wheel. thats what ive done on every vehicle. then it will still be like new after 20year
but I paid to have a nice leather steering wheel, I should be able to enjoy it and not have to put a cover on it.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I thought the same but the heated future would be greatly diminished. Plus it is not leather on that part, so I felt scammed.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son's 2018 has about 70,000 miles on it and the top of his steering wheel is starting to wear away

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
your photos are not showing up...
I’m not the OP. And yes his pictures did not show up. My steering wheel got replaced last year with 6k on the odometer. I have 30k now and it is still okay.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Replace it. That foam or rubberized whatever, starts deteriorating when exposed wildly varying temps inside cab, exposure to oils from hands, all the other stuff in the air. If still under warranty take it and see if dealer will replace it. It really shouldn't be disintegrating at 2 yo; could be a bad injection mold piece.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

HLZPBFev6WmhVTHr9
Hi there Anthony, we can certainly understand your disappointment! Please do not hesitate to send us a private message if you are in need of any additional support while addressing this concern with your dealer. We are happy to help!

Kathryn
RamCares

PWBOI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my experience hand lotions and hand sanitizers will cause damage to the leather as well.

OP
OP
T

TonyWhats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sorry for the bad image, see below. As it was said, I'd rather not have a cover due to the heated steering wheel and the price I paid. Im not expecting it to look new forever just feel after a year shouldn't look like this.

20201030_145401.jpg

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Sorry for the bad image, see below. As it was said, I'd rather not have a cover due to the heated steering wheel and the price I paid. Im not expecting it to look new forever just feel after a year shouldn't look like this.

View attachment 228372

Yeah either you've been using a lot of sanitizer or lotion, or you got that G.I. Joe / Kung fu grip going on when you drive...

I also notice I tend to mark my wheel up when I have my metal wedding ring on. Obviously not the case with my silicone ring.

OP
OP
T

TonyWhats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yeah either you've been using a lot of sanitizer or lotion, or you got that G.I. Joe / Kung fu grip going on when you drive...

I also notice I tend to mark my wheel up when I have my metal wedding ring on. Obviously not the case with my silicone ring.

Lol, I wish I could say its from all the white knuckle offloading I've done, but thats not the case.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would hope that gets replaced.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Lol, I wish I could say its from all the white knuckle offloading I've done, but thats not the case.
Mine had a little winkle on it about 11 o’clock on the wheel that I noticed on the test drive. I thought it was from the Texas heat as I bought my 19 in July. Buy September the winkle tore and it was peeling. By October (5k) it looked like my wheel had leprosy. Get it taken care of immediately as warranty is limited on “cosmetics” I was told. And I have the Mopar 100k warranty. The just re-wrap the wheel not replace the entire thing. But I’m at 30k and it still looks new. But now I know that the top half of the wheel is definitely not leather. Get Rams care involved today. You just have to PM them and they will set it up for you.
Good Luck!

Warner R Rohr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO cummins
Yes same here I have the 2019 Laramie and my steering wheel is scabbing up. I attribute mine to the sanitizing of my hands then grabbing the wheel