Premium vs regular gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Knock is known as the silent enemy. Think of it like your BP out of wack. Shure you're fine and "OK," but when it rears its ugly head, you will not be.

When it comes to octane to knock on detuned naturally aspirated engines - it really isn't happening...if it is - it's very low (sub 20db). Commuter HEMIs are very detuned and don't need the best octane. If you're towing or going across the mountains where your RPMs are staying past 4.5K, shifting around under high load - then one should run higher octane. If you're going to Home Depot, grocery store, lawn supply, towing light loads, the park or etc. you don't need to run higher octane.

I'm sorry to say it to y'all, most HEMIs are commuter engines, with low HP & TQ, and are meant to be "putted around." My buddy just got the TRX RAM truck, and it's slow as Christmas on the STREET. Really cool truck, but it's slow when it comes to speed, and it's because it's a truck. As an example, that HEMI needs the best fuel but normal truck HEMI's do not. I think some of y'all believe you bought a high-performance vehicle that needs the best...normal truck HEMIs are no such thing - chill.

Another example is if regular unleaded is (today's prices in GA on AAA) $3.1 and mid is $3.6 you'd have to get 2.5 more miles per gallon to be competitive with regular unleaded. Never seen anyone's example out here show an extra 2.5 miles per gallon. Stop being so serious about things that don't really matter.

There is a time and place for higher octane in commuter vehicles, but I doubt most will ever actually need it in these trucks.
For the most part I agree. Too serious.
I see guys wasting money paying for oil analysis on newer vehicles with no problems.
Silly to me but whatever floats your boat. It's very interesting the different opinions you see in here.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I see guys wasting money paying form oil analysis on newer vehicles with no problems beforehand . Silly to me but whatever floats your boat.

And yet you felt the need to replace your headlights. Silly to others? I see people buying "lifetime warranty", and since I can't get that on my truck, the UOA reports is cheap insurance that I can keep my eye on my truck and hopefully catch a problem before it's too late. And the nerd in me just happens to love that type of information anyway, I'd get a report even without the hemi tick concern. You're on a forum here, reading and leaving comments, others find that silly and a waste of time and are focusing on getting their business up and running. For me, $30 twice a year for a UOA is peanuts. You should see what I just dropped on my latest oil change. I spend my money very particularly, I don't throw it away but I'll spend it very carefully on things that I find interesting or useful, preventative maintenance is one of those things.

Here's the thing. If you don't want to run 89+, then don't. But don't make the claim that your truck doesn't knock on 87 because that's a fact that is false. The trucks are tuned to run on 87 through 89, but the tune defaults to 89 and relies on ... "knock sensors" to pull timing when you run 87. By definition, that means your truck knocks on 87. A knock sensor is a special microphone that "hears" the knock. Yeah, your truck IS knocking on 87.

Can't argue with facts. Just whether you feel its worth it, which is an opinion.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And yet you felt the need to replace your headlights. Silly to others? I see people buying "lifetime warranty", and since I can't get that on my truck, the UOA reports is cheap insurance that I can keep my eye on my truck and hopefully catch a problem before it's too late. And the nerd in me just happens to love that type of information anyway, I'd get a report even without the hemi tick concern. You're on a forum here, reading and leaving comments, others find that silly and a waste of time and are focusing on getting their business up and running. For me, $30 twice a year for a UOA is peanuts. You should see what I just dropped on my latest oil change. I spend my money very particularly, I don't throw it away but I'll spend it very carefully on things that I find interesting or useful, preventative maintenance is one of those things.

Here's the thing. If you don't want to run 89+, then don't. But don't make the claim that your truck doesn't knock on 87 because that's a fact that is false. The trucks are tuned to run on 87 through 89, but the tune defaults to 89 and relies on ... "knock sensors" to pull timing when you run 87. By definition, that means your truck knocks on 87. A knock sensor is a special microphone that "hears" the knock. Yeah, your truck IS knocking on 87.

Can't argue with facts. Just whether you feel its worth it, which is an opinion.
I replaced my headlights because the heat in Vegas really screws them up with the yellowing and fogged look and light isnt as good.
I had already had them sanded and cleaned once and it came back pretty quick so I got new ones .

Didn't say I didn't want to run 89. I have at times, i just mostly run 87. And if it knocks it's quiet as a mouse as I've driven it in the middle if of the night with no radio before and heard nothing so it must miniscule levels.
But I'll except that it does. For argument sakes ....and not worry about it. It runs great with 118K on it.

Last edited:

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll go ahead and tell ya, they do nowhere near that IRL.
Ok my bad. 3.9 and 4.1 is still really freakin fast for a half ton truck. Saw those numbers pulled locally. Even if mid 4’s it’s still not slow. Lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
For the most part I agree. Too serious.
I see guys wasting money paying for oil analysis on newer vehicles with no problems.
Silly to me but whatever floats your boat. It's very interesting the different opinions you see in here.
Those oil analysis are what lab tests and results are to us humans when we go to our doctors.

That's the difference between "US" that actually care about our vehicles and the ones who don't and unless they see something broken they don't even bother maintaining it or take preventive measures.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mot.buying that either. A Hellcat
Ok my bad. 3.9 and 4.1 is still really freakin fast for a half ton truck. Saw those numbers pulled locally. Even if mid 4’s it’s still not slow. Lol
Not buying that either. 4.0 is the best Hellcat /Challenger time and they weigh less......but I get it, they are pretty fast and imo arent really a putt around trucks. That's more the 6 cylinders.

But I agree with most everything else he said.

Last edited:

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Not buying that either. 4.0 is the best Hellcat /Challenger time and they weigh less......but I get it, they are pretty fast and imo arent really a putt around trucks. That's more the 6 cylinders.

Ok. They’re super slow trucks.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Hellcat and Challenger are 2wd. The TRX can put down all it's power all at once.

TFL did an episode on the TRX. They can pull a 6000 pound trailer (or whatever it weighed) from a dead stop faster than most trucks can accelerate while empty.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The physics of gasoline octane rating still stand. Resistance to ignition is only a function of engine designs to maximize power. Over-application of higher octane causes more deposits.

I'm not going to link a bunch of google sites for validation. I lived it at Onan before moving to Cummins diesel side. Believe what you want.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man what a time to be alive when a half ton truck that does 0-60 in 3.7 sec is considered, “slow as Christmas “ lmao!!
Guess I be an anomaly. BOIRD just happy starts, goes Vroom, Point A-B-A, all good. Guess my like wat 8-9 seconds or whatever it is to 60 mph be OK, LOL. I will just get a running start.

running turkey.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Knock is known as the silent enemy. Think of it like your BP out of wack. Shure you're fine and "OK," but when it rears its ugly head, you will not be.

When it comes to octane to knock on detuned naturally aspirated engines - it really isn't happening...if it is - it's very low (sub 20db). Commuter HEMIs are very detuned and don't need the best octane. If you're towing or going across the mountains where your RPMs are staying past 4.5K, shifting around under high load - then one should run higher octane. If you're going to Home Depot, grocery store, lawn supply, towing light loads, the park or etc. you don't need to run higher octane.

I'm sorry to say it to y'all, most HEMIs are commuter engines, with low HP & TQ, and are meant to be "putted around." My buddy just got the TRX RAM truck, and it's slow as Christmas on the STREET. Really cool truck, but it's slow when it comes to speed, and it's because it's a truck. As an example, that HEMI needs the best fuel but normal truck HEMI's do not. I think some of y'all believe you bought a high-performance vehicle that needs the best...normal truck HEMIs are no such thing - chill.

Another example is if regular unleaded is (today's prices in GA on AAA) $3.1 and mid is $3.6 you'd have to get 2.5 more miles per gallon to be competitive with regular unleaded. Never seen anyone's example out here show an extra 2.5 miles per gallon. Stop being so serious about things that don't really matter.

There is a time and place for higher octane in commuter vehicles, but I doubt most will ever actually need it in these trucks.
The TRX's run mid 12's at 4,000ft at my local track,not exactly slow for a stock truck,that can be used as a daily driver. They run pretty well the same numbers as a 6.4 Scatpack Challenger or Charger runs ,which might not be considered fast,but they are fairly quick.