Prepping for RA1 to RA2 Uprade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an RA2 5.0 Radio , I also have a steering wheel with audio controls and VR & phone button .
( My truck from the factory came with an RA1 3.0 Radio , regular mirror , no wires , and no VR or phone button or radio controls )

I'm still in need of an OEM mirror with microphones , and tailgate camera with harness .
Lol I know this is a simple upgrade for some but audio & electronics are not my strong suite. I'm a mechanical guy all the way , but with the help of some of you guys I'm sure I can pull this off .

So yesterday I'm anxious so I pull my my passenger air vent to see if I have a mirror harnes (truck side ) . This is what I found .
Photo #1
132b4fdae3929a063fcb8093aa5bd364.jpg

Is this the mirror harness connector ? This one has 7 wires going into it . I've heard the microphone portion only requires 4 wires , so if this is the mirror connector then what are the other 3 wires for ? Auto dimming ? 911 button ? Uconnect assist button ?

I then removed the radio and bezel , I was looking for a way to tell if my truck harness has video wired in ( maybe a pigtail with coax or something ) I didn't find anything looking like video to me , maybe it is just regular wires these days ? Can anyone tell by the next photo if my truck is wired for video ?

Photo #2

7c2dfa5dceaaee22477ad03cc7f247b3.jpg

I know the RA2 is video capable for backup and tailgate camera from what I've read on here , so if my truck is not wired for it , then any suggestions on what to do to install a tailgate cam in the handle to the RA2 ? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are missing the top part of that harness that runs to the mirror. The mic's in the mirror only need 4 wires and its your call if you just want to run the 4 wires straight or pay for the harness.

The video IS regular wire and your truck is not pre-wired it seems. But you can be double sure by checking in the foot well on the drivers side. Look in the forum on how to add the factory camera and it will give you the wires you should be looking for.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks nyciti for your response ! The main Q I had on the 1rst pic was ensuring that was in fact the factory mirror connector , thanks for verification of that . Also. I likely would just run the 4 wires for mic ops ,but the mirrors I'm finding have 911 & assist buttons ( not sure what the assist button is for ? Uconnect ? And for what ?) So I figure for if I end up installing a more capable mirror with extra functions , I may as well install the factory harness for $25.00 .

I'll double check the drivers side footwell after looking up the post tonight thanks again buddy !

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Just buy the harness for the mirror for 25.00. Buy s mirror on eBay. As for the cam buy the oem tailgate kit and install it add the flash done. You could get an aftermarket cam and wire it in and some are pnp check oemautoparts for one place. Personally if I were you I would just buy the Oem kit from Tasca or quirk for about 250.00 and have the dealer flash the XAC code into your truck done.

Oh and yes the grey connector is the one that goes to the mirror, on the HD trucks it also carries the power for the roof mounted clearence lights. It also carries canbuss wires to operate the smartbeam, rain sensor wipers and the uconnect 911 and assist buttons on the mirror. You could
get the complete pin out on the tech authority website.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you sir for your info !
Above you said to buy "s" mirror is that a typo or a mirror type ?
What is the assist button function for on the mirrors I'm seeing on ebay ? Last Q on mirrors , is the 911 a pay for service or free ?

I've seen the OEM Tailgate kit on OEM autoparts .Com I'm assuming it will have everything needed even if the truck was not wired for it from the factory?

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forget the assit and 911 buttons working cause you dont have uConnect service so its not going to work. Get that mirror if its cheap but I sign with cptwing I would do what he said in your case.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is uconnect service ? What does it do for you ? This may be a stupid question , just wondering . And if it's worth having could I add this later ?