Previous Canadian truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hapec12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a nice 2018 1500, but it's a previous Canadian truck. Not sure about the possible complications, if any. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
It is already off warranty so outside of condition there is very little difference. Likely has a block heater, limited slip, daytime running lights that can't be defeated easily and a few other options to match Canadian common spec but that will be about it. Most of the modern dashs switch from kilometers to miles very easily and can be put on Imperial for pressure etc. Also, very likely to have come out of the Mexican plant.

Last edited:

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where in Canada is it from ? Some areas use a lot of road salt. Have a close look at the underside if there is thick black paint on it to cover the rust.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Mine is a 2018 that I bought in early 2019 and it was from Canada and I bought it with 8000 miles. I was able to transfer the warranty and actually had to have my touchscreen replaced under warranty. The dash will convert as far as the digital I believe but your manual dial speedometer will still read in km/h. My cluster was already changed prior to that. Mine does have the engine block heater but there really isn't any signs that says 'this is a Canadian truck'. Aside from the hoops I had to jump through for the warranty I have not had any other issues or concerns.

Here was my cluster the day I bought it>
IMG-4127.jpg
IMG-4128.jpg

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Where in Canada is it from ? Some areas use a lot of road salt. Have a close look at the underside if there is thick black paint on it to cover the rust.
The heavy black coating is under coating put on new trucks, not done after normally. As far as salt, eastern Canada and the north eastern U.S. all use a lot of salt. Over the years the northern states and most of Canada have increased the use of salt. Best fix, power wash the bottom and all the nooks and crannies you can reach. Then have Crown or Rustcheck applied to it. If you get rid of the salt the rust pretty much stops. It also helps to keep them clean. Here is an Alberta truck. 150, 000 miles on a 1996, used year round, factory paint and no rust. Alberta uses lots of salt. It is all about how you care for your gear.

Resized_20210709_092337.jpeg

mountainlion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l I6
I would check idling hours. Did see a truck with 9000 miles on the dealer lot that had 850 idling hours!

OP
OP
H

hapec12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has been in Lloydminster for the first 30,000, then Medicine Hat for the last 11,000, then exported.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
It has been in Lloydminster for the first 30,000, then Medicine Hat for the last 11,000.
Those two area are typically light users of salt by snowbelt standards. The Hat has pretty warm winters and Lloyd doesn't have a lot of paved roads outside of town. No one uses salt on anything but paved roads.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nice to have someone in the area to get local road conditions. Thanks.
I'd only worry if the truck was from either Calgary or Edmonton,the smaller cities don't use the road brine mix to the same extent as Alberta's 2 biggest cities do

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know about the 2018 & newer Rams
But before that, Built for Canada trucks did not have the same phone APPS, as the made for USA Rams have

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well safe to say the 3-36 warranty is gone, but the body/rust warranty should still be active.

They only way to transfer what ever warranty is left, the truck when first registered in Canada must be registered as a fleet vehicle. Thats how I was able to transfer mine. Took 5 min at the dealer to do the transfer.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Well safe to say the 3-36 warranty is gone, but the body/rust warranty should still be active.

They only way to transfer what ever warranty is left, the truck when first registered in Canada must be registered as a fleet vehicle. Thats how I was able to transfer mine. Took 5 min at the dealer to do the transfer.
Yeah I'm not sure of the details but mine was a fleet truck too. They said there were 2 codes (something like 596 and 593). One was eligible for warranty transfer and the other wasn't. But it had to have 15,000km's (about 9200 miles) on it before they would transfer it. I tried when I first got mine and they couldn't do it. They used Dealer Connect and said there was no option on the screen but once I hit the mileage limit they did it in 5 minutes. This was all after weeks of calling Ram to try to figure out how. My son bought an identical truck a few months later with 6000 miles on it but once he hit that 9200ish I called the dealer and they did it over the phone in a few minutes

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here in Swift Current, Sk, about 2 hrs east of Medline Hat, they don't use salt, or plows other tan school bus routs .
My 1995 Club cab started to have a spot of rust in rear wheel wells, but that was after son in law bought it in Edmonton.
Medicine Hat seems to use some sugar beet ?? crap on the street, makes a hell of a mess.
The Dept of highways will use salt. or potash on the high way, but only if needed.
Sask Landing river hills can get real bad with ice.
When i bought a new Honda in 2008 the dealer was ranting about Ca / US car sales, no warranty across boarders.
The exchange rate on money was quite bad at the time, still is , about 25%
I do remember Ca $ was more than US $, but yrs ago.

For some reason, my cruise control read out on the dash is in MPH , not k/h maybe I could change it, but don't bother me as most stuff I had was m/h.

Attachments

• 72 Duster family.jpg
    72 Duster family.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014 ram.jpg
    2014 ram.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Jsicamore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I got a 2015 ram 1500 that was Made in Canada. No warranty covered but seller provided third party warranty. 100k miles later truck still running fine. Just changed the water pump pulleys etc. main issues were manifold bolts in that time

kamicrazy99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For some reason, my cruise control read out on the dash is in MPH , not k/h maybe I could change it, but don't bother me as most stuff I had was m/h.
After you're in cruise, switch the read out to show the speedometer, then switch back to whatever screen you were on, it'll change it to km/h. has to be done every time the truck is turned on though.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
you could get alfaodb and try changing the country codes. there 4-5 different places.

XBrav

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Canadian '09 doesn't really have any noticeable differences from the US models, apart from the dash featuring the metric values instead of the imperial ones. Yes, we generally have block heaters installed by default, especially out west. I'm in Calgary, and this truck likely spent its whole life out here.

The biggest rust currently is on the front fenders, where it's mostly eaten through at this point. Most of the underside is evenly corroded with surface rust, but I haven't seen any major wear beyond that.

On the fuel side, we haven't really adopted E85 up here, so the truck was likely run on 87 (Especially with today's prices...). We also tend to put a lot of highway mileage on here, so expect more wear on the upper gears. With the highways around Calgary, I'm cruising at 1600-1800RPM with no load in 5th (I believe it's a 545RFE).

you could get alfaodb and try changing the country codes. there 4-5 different places.

I haven't changed country codes yet, but there is a section to set imperial / metric without changing the country code. It should be under the BCM.