problem after problem on my '19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

grffthj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Went back to the dealer today, offered me 38k trade in. Figured it would be bad but dang. No codes for the parking system.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Always a higher risk with the first year of production for a new model. Similar problems with Ford and Chevy pickups. An advantage of buying a used truck is that the prior owner has invested their time with visits to the dealer getting the bugs worked out.

Want the most trouble free pickup buy a Tundra. The Toyota lacks a lot of the bells and whistles of the Ram but you will not be making anywhere near as many trips to the dealer. I read of many Jeep Grand Cherokee owners making a great many trips to the dealers with their vehicles and although I like the vehicles overall I was not willing to spend time at the dealers and so bought a Chevy Traverse in 2018 instead.

I decided to pass on buying a 2019 truck and will evaluate the situation with the 2020 model year for Ram and Toyota (Ford and Chevy are not in the running).

ya, but then....you have a TUNDRA.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Always a higher risk with the first year of production for a new model. Similar problems with Ford and Chevy pickups. An advantage of buying a used truck is that the prior owner has invested their time with visits to the dealer getting the bugs worked out.

Want the most trouble free pickup buy a Tundra. The Toyota lacks a lot of the bells and whistles of the Ram but you will not be making anywhere near as many trips to the dealer. I read of many Jeep Grand Cherokee owners making a great many trips to the dealers with their vehicles and although I like the vehicles overall I was not willing to spend time at the dealers and so bought a Chevy Traverse in 2018 instead.

I decided to pass on buying a 2019 truck and will evaluate the situation with the 2020 model year for Ram and Toyota (Ford and Chevy are not in the running).

I think the key is to wait and buy a late model year. By then the problems are known, and usually fixed. Once you move on to the next year you get the new changes problems.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Went back to the dealer today, offered me 38k trade in. Figured it would be bad but dang. No codes for the parking system.
Have you ever been able to pin it down to a particular speed when coming up on stopped traffic? I've read through quite a bit of the manual and there is some involvement of the brake module, some U-connect functions, and a threshold at about 18 mph. I forget for sure now which feature uses that 18 mph threshold, but I think it is the sensors for finding a parking space. At any rate, I'd ask the service manager/other if there is something in that brake module that could be erratic, even if your truck doesn't have the feature(s).

OP
OP
G

grffthj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you ever been able to pin it down to a particular speed when coming up on stopped traffic? I've read through quite a bit of the manual and there is some involvement of the brake module, some U-connect functions, and a threshold at about 18 mph. I forget for sure now which feature uses that 18 mph threshold, but I think it is the sensors for finding a parking space. At any rate, I'd ask the service manager/other if there is something in that brake module that could be erratic, even if your truck doesn't have the feature(s).

OP
OP
G

grffthj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seems to be around 5 mph, while watching it I usually see it go down 2-1-0. Scares the crap out of you, pulling up behind someone and the dash turns red, beepers loud and fast, I think it's a unnecessary distraction.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a 19 but the parking sensors do "work" on my 2017 during regular traffic. If I pull up close enough to someone in front of me the evic shows the range readout and eventually will start dinging at me if I get really close.

I'm guessing there is a way to calibrate the system, maybe try another dealer since yours didn't seem to want to even try to fix it? I could see the system not showing errors if it's out of calibration because it thinks it does really need to warn you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2019 you can turn off the sensors altogether. Why not just do that? I had my rear sensors off and then figured out I could just turn off the braking and leave the sensors on.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not a 19 but the parking sensors do "work" on my 2017 during regular traffic. If I pull up close enough to someone in front of me the evic shows the range readout and eventually will start dinging at me if I get really close.

I'm guessing there is a way to calibrate the system, maybe try another dealer since yours didn't seem to want to even try to fix it? I could see the system not showing errors if it's out of calibration because it thinks it does really need to warn you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

There’s no calibration procedure for the parking sensors unfortunately.

As a tech I’ll never buy the first couple years of a new generation of vehicle. There’s always teething issues.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question: why not just take the trade in and be done with it? I see that you were disappointed back in September 2018, when you posted about difficulty starting. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't spend almost a year dealing with a truck that I thought was just a POS. Yes, you may lose a little money on the trade but certainly your time and aggravation have to be worth something. The litany of issues you rattled off at the beginning of this thread, there's *no way* I'd still own this vehicle. I'd either trade on something else or just outright sell it to a dealer and let them worry about it.

Sometimes in life you have to just strike your losses and move on.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
trade it and get you a ford.
yeah, that way you won't be disappointed. you know it will break once a week so your expectations will be low:)

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The truck to get to have the fewest trips in to the dealer is a Tundra. 2019 was a very new truck model and so it is not surprising that there are teething problems.

With all the new gadgets added to boost the sale price of trucks they are now less reliable than most cars. This bugs me nearly as much as having the manufacturers upping the tow capacity and horsepower at the expense of fuel economy and driving range on a tank of gas (or diesel).

With boats there is the old saying that the happiest days for the owner is the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it. Starting to be that way with pickups.

With my diesel 2500 I have had 5 trips aborted with the truck going into limp mode as a result of bad emissions controls components and bad emissions control programming. I will sell it as soon as I can find a 1500 gas pickup that will not be equally unreliable. I don't wish to trade on set of problems for a new set and pay for the experience with my pocket book as well.

Dnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the process of trying to get my motor replaced as well... it's been using about a quart every 1000-1500 miles.... very disappointing but I understand it happens. I just hope they don't try and get out of it....