Problems after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Man he was huge. Without the lift he would've definitely taken with him the air dam.
Thanks for your help here, a lot of good info and I really do appreciate it. At least this might give me an excuse to get some powder coated calipers.
I would've gone for the bora's but their website said they were experiencing considerable delays, and I read elsewhere that supreme was potentially a viable alternative.

I forgot to address the lift and new heavier tires will extend your braking distance and turning radius

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I 2nd nick@gotexhaust. Also the first upgrade after lift and wheels was better brakes. But going from 72lbs per corner to 120 or so it was expected.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope you are getting these issues worked out. Lots of good info here already. If we can be of any assistance please let us know. We can get you set up with most suspension components and can definitely get you some better suited brakes for your bigger wheel/tire set up

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed my 6" BDS lift which is pretty much the same as the Zone myself also. It was a P.I.T.A because the instructions were terrible. In any case it's been at least three of four years and so far I have had zero issues. I removed the spacer and moved my bilstein to the first notch so my truck is level at 6". I any case it's all a matter of process of elimination. What can cause the vibration from the things you changed. We know your alignment is good. Jack the truck up and spin the wheels. Do they spin freely? Do they make any noise? Grab the wheel and pull back and forth to check for play. A lot of it is common sense. If you had a stuck caliper the wheel will not spin freely and the truck would pull from one side or the other. Changing brake fluid is good to have on your maintenance schedule but isn't going to cause a noise or vibration and if it caused a caliper hang up the wheel would not spin freely. If your rotors weren't warped or making noise before the lift they aren't going to now.
You changed the CV joints and they can cause vibration. I have installed new CV joints that were defective and caused vibration. It's uncommon but it happens.

You are running wheel spacers and they can cause vibration if they are out of round or have other issues.

You are also running different tires which can cause noise even though it's unlikely.

You had to remove the drive shafts are they properly re installed and seated?

Are you 100% sure the noise is coming from the front?

Unfortunately your stock wheels will most likely no longer fit without the spacers but it would definitely be nice to try a set of wheels that would fit without the spacers installed. I installed 20x10 Fuel Hostage wheels on mine so never used the spacers. If it's vibrating and you can feel it in the steering wheel it's coming from something thats a rotating or moving part 99% of the time. If it were my truck the first thing I would do is jack the truck up and check for any obvious issues and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Star nut off the rotor stud from the assembly line?

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a dust shield rattle at about 15-20 doubt that's it if it's a wooba wooba *****

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You stated there was no issue before all the work, so concentrate on the parts that were changed or messed with. Sure, it could be something completely unrelated and just happened to pop up after all of the other work but I would be looking at the lift, spacers, and new tires first. If you are confident which corner the noise is coming from I would start by swapping tires around. If it's a front tire I would swap it to the opposite back corner and see if the noise changes or moves....especially with 35's I can see an out of balance or out of round tire. Next would be the spacers and would just remove one at a time and go driving to see what happens. Once you eliminate the tire, wheel, and spacers you just have to start looking at anything else that rotates/spins like the CV axles.

OP
OP
Postman2015

Postman2015

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You stated there was no issue before all the work, so concentrate on the parts that were changed or messed with. Sure, it could be something completely unrelated and just happened to pop up after all of the other work but I would be looking at the lift, spacers, and new tires first. If you are confident which corner the noise is coming from I would start by swapping tires around. If it's a front tire I would swap it to the opposite back corner and see if the noise changes or moves....especially with 35's I can see an out of balance or out of round tire. Next would be the spacers and would just remove one at a time and go driving to see what happens. Once you eliminate the tire, wheel, and spacers you just have to start looking at anything else that rotates/spins like the CV axles.

Exactly what I will do. Thanks for the help

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
10EC55E7-52E1-4972-A00F-2D0437B5C88B.jpeg
I installed my 6" BDS lift which is pretty much the same as the Zone myself also. It was a P.I.T.A because the instructions were terrible. In any case it's been at least three of four years and so far I have had zero issues. I removed the spacer and moved my bilstein to the first notch so my truck is level at 6". I any case it's all a matter of process of elimination. What can cause the vibration from the things you changed. We know your alignment is good. Jack the truck up and spin the wheels. Do they spin freely? Do they make any noise? Grab the wheel and pull back and forth to check for play. A lot of it is common sense. If you had a stuck caliper the wheel will not spin freely and the truck would pull from one side or the other. Changing brake fluid is good to have on your maintenance schedule but isn't going to cause a noise or vibration and if it caused a caliper hang up the wheel would not spin freely. If your rotors weren't warped or making noise before the lift they aren't going to now.
You changed the CV joints and they can cause vibration. I have installed new CV joints that were defective and caused vibration. It's uncommon but it happens.

You are running wheel spacers and they can cause vibration if they are out of round or have other issues.

You are also running different tires which can cause noise even though it's unlikely.

You had to remove the drive shafts are they properly re installed and seated?

Are you 100% sure the noise is coming from the front?

Unfortunately your stock wheels will most likely no longer fit without the spacers but it would definitely be nice to try a set of wheels that would fit without the spacers installed. I installed 20x10 Fuel Hostage wheels on mine so never used the spacers. If it's vibrating and you can feel it in the steering wheel it's coming from something thats a rotating or moving part 99% of the time. If it were my truck the first thing I would do is jack the truck up and check for any obvious issues and go from there.
who can spot the difference in my picture above same set of instructions same kit in the same box. even the part number on the instruction book is the same

Funny thing is zones instructions are better until it comes to the rear track bar mounting where BDS mentions which hole to put it in. Zone conveniently leaves that out. Why they are not the same set of instructions with different logos will always make me wonder. BDS is known for the weirdest instructions

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did all of the work myself, so I am to blame on this one. Wife already said I told you so. I'm hoping that this picture is the preload spacer you speak of, because I did leave those out due to the bilsteins.
View attachment 225127
Ouch. I know how it feels when the wife says "i told you so" lol

Lift the front by the crossmember and get the wheels in the air and rotate them by hand, see if you can hear/spot any issues with the hub bearings, calipers dragging etc. Any issues wiggling the wheels by your 12-6 o'clock, how about 3-9 oclock ? pay attention if the BJ's in the UCAS or LCA's are tight. If you have any type of movement on the wheels you either have a bad bearing or facked up BJ's.

If everything checks ok, then check the DS. Did you completely disconnect the drivesahft and re-install it correctly ? how about the DS spacer ? check the DS spacer is not rubbing against anything ? sounds silly but go back and recheck everything you did, look everywhere if it's rubbing something has to have a mark somewhere indicating so.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the problem so you can go back to the wife to tell her that's why you like to do things yourself. when it breaks you know exactly where it did :)

Have fun.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had what you're describing on an older truck I lifted. Turned out to be the drive shaft angle coming from the transfer case.

i went through two rebuilds of the borg Warner driveshaft before I just sold the truck because I could never get the drive shaft right... even had a custom built dual cardan style driveshaft made, it was still too much vibration and kept blowing seals..

I doubt this is your issue, but it's hard to rule anything out after everything you've replaced.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, on a side note, you mentioned 35” Michelin’s, did you get the Defenders? Been seriously kicking the idea of getting them next time around.

OP
OP
Postman2015

Postman2015

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OP, on a side note, you mentioned 35” Michelin’s, did you get the Defenders? Been seriously kicking the idea of getting them next time around.
Yes they’re defenders. I’ve heard great things about them, figured they’re half the weight of my mud tires and make sense for the daily commute.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 225149

Funny thing is zones instructions are better until it comes to the rear track bar mounting where BDS mentions which hole to put it in. Zone conveniently leaves that out. Why they are not the same set of instructions with different logos will always make me wonder. BDS is known for the weirdest instructions
I can't remember if my instructions had the location of the track bar setting or not but I'm pretty sure they didn't. I think I remember trying to figure that out too. They were definitely terrible and I couldn'tfind much on YouTube. Many of the pictures are obsolete or the actual parts have changed so it's hard to match the up to the instructions. It was funny. I saw and episode of Diesel Brothers and they were going to install a 6" BDS lift on a Ram 1500 and they were totally confused by the instructions. They build custom suspension systems all the time. I have no complaints with the actual kit. It's very well made but you would think for what they charge they could take a little more time with the instructions.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We let’s see the pics man! I’ve been waiting to see 35” Michelin’s on factory rims...........I’m with you on some nicer 35’s for the commuting, it’s all I do nowadays (Dad’s taxi really).

I know it’s silly talking about it on a lifted truck and 35’s but I’m looking for some quieter tires and an exhaust that don’t drone so much. My truck tends to turn into my mobile office while toting the kids to dance and soccer.

I almost pulled the trigger last time around until my wife asked “will those look beefy enough on your truck since it’s lifted”..........so with man card hanging in the breeze I went with the Coopers (which are a very good tire IMO).

Last edited:

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's possible. However, noise is always present, not only during braking. I've considered that it might be a stuck caliper but the pins slide freely and the truck doesn't pull to the side.
Brake fluid should probably be checked, and it might be the rotors. Now that I think about it, on my commute this morning I had to slam on the brakes as I was doing about 65 MPH and a 50 lb raccoon jumped onto the road. It's hard to remember how responsive the brakes were before I changed them, but I felt like normally I could've slowed down in the distance I had to hitting him. Anyways he didn't have a chance, probably a good idea for fluid/rotors.

Dude. Your raccoon story had me shooting my drink out my nose. Didn’t see that coming. Lol

OP
OP
Postman2015

Postman2015

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
We let’s see the pics man! I’ve been waiting to see 35” Michelin’s on factory rims...........I’m with you on some nicer 35’s for the commuting, it’s all I do nowadays (Dad’s taxi really).

I know it’s silly talking about it on a lifted truck and 35’s but I’m looking for some quieter tires and an exhaust that don’t drone so much. My truck tends to turn into my mobile office while toting the kids to dance and soccer.

I almost pulled the trigger last time around until my wife asked “will those look beefy enough on your truck since it’s lifted”..........so with man card hanging in the breeze I went with the Coopers (which are a very good tire IMO).
447D349E-2028-4F38-8EE1-A9D32155A308.jpeg
I like them

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man he was huge. Without the lift he would've definitely taken with him the air dam.
Thanks for your help here, a lot of good info and I really do appreciate it. At least this might give me an excuse to get some powder coated calipers.
I would've gone for the bora's but their website said they were experiencing considerable delays, and I read elsewhere that supreme was potentially a viable alternative.
I have the same spacer and they haven't been a problem for me. I also have the BDS 6/3 lift (self install). I went with the Fox coilovers though. I too have some weird noises but I'm pretty sure it's from odd tread wear. I don't get the Cooper STT's rotated as much as I should. Lift and tires have about 27k on them so far.
Good luck.

20200725_150519.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Postman2015

Postman2015

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here’s some pics. Angles will look off because I’m parked on a sideways gradient.

8DB72097-DDDB-4DEF-BEB8-6BCBAB3DB907.jpeg

F2CB53AB-9335-4614-9F2A-06545569657D.jpeg

DF0FE038-D4A2-4C71-B1C4-01BB7629B7CB.jpeg

00051F91-C287-43E0-8C70-42F88A17C067.jpeg

8120AF0A-17A5-4123-9924-29630F09B8C6.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45