Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Problems that arise from tire size upgrade questions.

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Power Wagon' started by ZLAYER, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Rick Ram-jet

Rick Ram-jet Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
    Engine:
    6.4 L
    I think this is a good way of putting it! You will notice 35`s but get used to it pretty quickly, 37`s are much more noticeable.
    Since you have a power wagon (I assume 17in rims and stock suspension) go for the 35`s, they will be the best all around choice and you should have plenty of sidewall for four wheeling. The only reason I changed rims and tires (to 17in w/37`s) is 35`s on the stock 20in rims have a too short sidewall for off-roading, imo. Btw, 37`s on stock 20`s would have rubbed too much on the inside wheel-well/radius arms, etc.
    Changing settings on my pedal commander (more sensitive) for the most part negated the extra weight/height of the larger tires....

2. ZLAYER

ZLAYER Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    HEMI 6.4
    Good stuff guys. Pedal commander sounds like a pretty worthwhile investment. I’m seeing some good reviews on the rough country speedometer calibrator, and it apparently works on ‘19s.

3. MarshRam

MarshRam Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I cant comment on what is out there right now to calibrate your tires for a 19. I can say, 35's or 37's, chances are good say goodbye to your MPG, varying losses depending on variables!. As for "feeling sluggish", more variables.

I have a 2012 single cab ST 6 spd with 4.10 gears with just about all the bolt on performance mods you can put in it, Jay Greene tune + a valve body. Lose control of the backend if I am not careful. I also have a 6" lifted crew cab SLT 8 speed with moderate bolt on mods (canned diablo tune), standard 3.21 gears, extremely heavy fuel vapor rims coated with hydrodip + 35" MT's. I never lose control of the ass end in that truck unless the roads are wet and PC is set to the max, but I swear they both "feel" just as fast as one another. Have a pedal commander in the lifted SLT and throttle tuned on the lowered ST. It's obviously impossible my lifted SLT is faster than my ST, but they sure do "feel" damn near the same. Point is, I think you can do some additional moderate modding to find your happy place.

As for the pedal commander, No HP gain, but a great mod to get a faster throttle response and "feel" like you are gaining much more than you actually are. My wife bitched about how much her new Honda Accord was slower than her old one. Same engine and she was right about its responsiveness, Pedal Commander changed that perception real quick! Lol.

4. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Hold my beer and watch this..... Military

Ram Year:
    2018 1500 Laramie
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoBurner
    I put 35's on my 6.4 with a 6-speed transmission (2014). Felt a difference. Tuned it with a Diablo that has options similar to the PC and it fixed it right up. I have a PC on my EcoDiesel (with 35's) now and it's pretty much awesomness in a box.

5. Grand Mesa

Grand Mesa Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 PW
    Engine:
    6.4L

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 7:52 AM
  6. ZLAYER

ZLAYER Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    HEMI 6.4
    Lol. The police would be busy around here!
    I see at least 5-10 trucks/ jeeps everyday with 37+ tires, so it’s not something I’d be worried about.

Grand Mesa likes this.
  7. 62Blazer

62Blazer Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    When it comes to larger tires in repards to performance and MPG losses, it's not only the increased size and leverage issues but also the increased weight typical with bigger tires. Rolling mass plays a much larger factor than static mass, meaning it takes more "power" to spin weight than just move it down the road. Adding 20 lbs. per tire and wheel combo for 80 lbs. total will cause some performance and MPG losses but simply throwing 80 lbs. of weight in the bed would never be noticed. Now I'm not saying that increasing the tire and wheel weight by 20 lbs. per corner makes it undriveable or even causes a huge issue, but if you did true recorded acceleration, braking, and MPG runs you would see a difference in the numbers.

The other thing to consider is that if you do NOT recalibrate the speedometer it will hurt the performance and MPG more. For MPG calculations with no speedo calibration the larger tires will mean you are actually travelling more miles than what the odometer shows.......if the speedo is off so is the odometer..... For example, going from the stock 33" to 37" tires means the speedo and odo will show 12% lower. This means when calculating fuel mileage the odometer will say you went 200 miles but you actually went 224 miles. If you put 15 gallons of fuel in the tank and do the math using 200 miles means 13.3 MPG, where as if you used 224 miles that means 14.9 MPG. The display on the truck will have similar issues, and in the end meaning you are getting better MPG than what you think. On the performance side, having incorrect speedo readings can affect the shift points, torque management, and other aspects of the truck.

olyelr, Rated R and ZLAYER like this.
  8. Vicman

Vicman Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    16 PW here with 35 STTs. I had the dealer re-cal the speedo. No pedal commander, I think I would have too much trouble not romping it all the time. I noticed 2-3 mpg drop on hwy (don't go over 70 or it's more like 5-6) not much difference kicking around town or in the woods. Very and I mean very little drop in felt power. It takes off as fast as I really want and will still turn the tire over on dry pavement with trac control on. No difference with a big load or towing. IMG_20181205_154046629.jpg IMG_20170715_231155.jpg

9. Flea

Flea Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I put 35s on mine and my speedo seems to match my gps ?

10. Rated R

Rated R Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    The error will increase the faster you go.

Flea likes this.