Problems with 2012 Ram 1500 transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edmund

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone been having AT transmission problems with the 2012 Ram 1500 with the Hemi 5.7?
I bought a New Ram with 31 miles on the truck from Larry H. Miller Dodge in Az. drove the truck for a bit and when it hit 1500 miles the trans went out, I had no forward drive gears and only had reverse. I had the truck towed back to the dealer and it took them a week to find out what was wrong with the trans. They had told me that they couldn't link up with the trucks computer at first and then said they found a defected seal in the trans and they fixed it and gave it back to me, no big deal right? Well when I took the truck home I notice that the trans wasn't shifting right and when i would come to a full stop I notice that the trans would make a thump and I could feel it throughtout the truck. So I took the truck back and they tried to tell me nothing was wrong with the truck and that it might be the drive shaft that was causing the thump and that they had greased the shaft. I knew it couldn't be the drive shaft cause it would only make the thump 5-6 sec afther I came to a full stop. I keep taking the truck back for the problem and keep fighting with the dealer telling them something wasn't right, it took me 8 times taking it back until they hooked up a recorder to the truck and had me drive it around for about a week. I was right something was wrong with the trans and they ended up replacing the trans with a new one. I still have the same thump with the new trans but it doesn't alwasy do it and the truck never made the thump until I had problems with the trans.
Anyone else having this problem with your new Ram?

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
Nope I'm not having a single problem with mine and I've put 6,100 miles on my 2012. My advice as a salesman at the local dOdge dealer... Pull the lemon law and get a new truck

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
4500 miles, no probs so far....sorry to hear, i bet that is frustrating!

a_guerrajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
mine is fine with 7K miles, 2012.

i did get that stupid leak issue with the 3rd brake lamp.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
since they replaced with a new transmission, could it be something different?

QuinnII

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 QC 4X4 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just hit 1000 in my Laramie...I'm hoping for the best, but we will see.

pd298

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just rolled 9k in my 2012 with no problems.

pd298

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2011 and 2012 have a different transmission. 2012 is a 6 speed auto. 2011 is a five speed auto.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2011 and 2012 have a different transmission. 2012 is a 6 speed auto. 2011 is a five speed auto.

Everything is the same. 2012 just uses 2nd prime as an actual gear instead of a manually selected/passing only gear. They just reprogrammed the computer

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There are other threads on here that refer to the issue your talking about. I had a 09 & now my 11 also thumps occassionally when coming to a stop. On my 09 I had the dealer look at it and they reprogramed the computer and made very little difference. If the 11 pukes its guts out 0h well it has 4800 miles on it so its covered.

OP
OP
E

Edmund

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thump didn't happen until the trans went out the first time, I told the dealer that i wanted them to exchange the truck for another Ram 1500 cause mine was a lemon and they told me that they couldn't do that. Asked to speak to the area REP and the REP never called me back. The dealer which is Larry H Miller in Az told me that they know my truck has a problem but dont know what it could be and wanted me to take my truck to another dealer to get a 2nd opion cause they can't fix it, Really? So now i got a lawyer and Ill see where it goes from here.

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to call the 800# in the manual and file a complaint , they will open a file and give you a file# , they will then assign it the area rep, they may have you take it to a different dealer but either way this will start the process for lemon law. It sound like you already meet the requirements with all your visits.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
E

Edmund

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I called the 800# and had a case open a month ago and they were no help. They couldn't give me a number for a Rep and said they could only send an email to the Rep, That was over a month ago. A Rep from star came into town and went for a hr ride with me in my truck, the transmission Tech and I told the Rep that the trans wasn't always acting up and that it would only do it about 3 days out of the week. Sure as $h!t it wouldn't act up with him in the truck so he told corp that nothing was wrong with the truck and corp closed the case. A week later i was back at the dealership with the same problem. :crazy: I think Im going to trade the truck in.

mailcall00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Edmund
Sure hate to hear your having problems but I'm having transmission problems also. Bought mine May 2012 and it started jumping from drive to fourth gear and sticking
between 700-800 miles. Did that several times that weekend and finally got it home without getting killed in 4th gear in traffic and called dealership on monday. Wanted me to bring it. Road side assist winded up and towed truck to dealership and they called me the next day and told me a silenoid had shorted out and was fixed and ready for pick up. Got the truck back and jumped from drive the very next time i drove it and i took it right over to the dealership and they said the could not get anything on the computer and ther problem was not duplicated while they had it. I picked up truck the next day and within an hour it was stuck in fourth gear again. Each time the gears would jump from drive to fourth you could pull over and turn the truck off and restart and it would go back to drive but not before. So that particular day i left it in fourth and drove it to the dealership and got one of the salesmen to verify the truck was stuck and could not be manully shifted back to drive.

Long story short I still have a Brand new 2012 Dodge Ram with a Hemi with less than 2000 miles that is currently sitting at the dealership attempting to be fixed again. I drove the truck for several hundred more miles after getting it back the last time and was finally getting a little confidence and it did it again. I dont know what to do. I hate to get a lawyer involved but If you dont mind me asking how is that working for you. I do not want this truck back. Dont ever want another dodge product and I have been a die hard dodge fan since 2002 when I bought my first. All total I took the truck in twice and had a salesman verify the truck was stuck in 4th gear due to they kept acting like I did not know what I was talking about. I am at my wits end with this.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
wow...weird its happening on the 2012's alot more than the 11's

Lawhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ur computer might not be programmed right and ur truck is holding 2nd or 3rd gear 2 long after u stop instead of downshifting to first when you hit about 4 MPH. when it down shifts at this point u dont notice it cause ur foot is on the stopper peddle instead of the kicka$$ one.
other than that i would have ur torque converter checked out and ur REAR diff.

good luck tho hate to hear the problems love to fix them tho