Problems with 2012 Ram 1500 transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

merlin3606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the 32 gallon fuel tank? How much fuel was in the tank at the time you feel the thump? I didn't feel it at first in my 2012 QC 1500 express but now notice it when I am at 3/4 of a tank and happens a few seconds after I come to a complete stop. There are multiple threads on here about this thump felt with the 32 gal tanks.

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2012 QC Express with a 32 gallon tank getting the thump in my transmission as well. Did these threads say what might be causing this?

zzfawn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am noticing that same issue, i am currently dealing with the Rail Dust on my whte Ram Truck first. then I will mention the drop feel/noise after a stop, like you mention it doesnt happen all the time but often.

Has anyone been having AT transmission problems with the 2012 Ram 1500 with the Hemi 5.7?
I bought a New Ram with 31 miles on the truck from Larry H. Miller Dodge in Az. drove the truck for a bit and when it hit 1500 miles the trans went out, I had no forward drive gears and only had reverse. I had the truck towed back to the dealer and it took them a week to find out what was wrong with the trans. They had told me that they couldn't link up with the trucks computer at first and then said they found a defected seal in the trans and they fixed it and gave it back to me, no big deal right? Well when I took the truck home I notice that the trans wasn't shifting right and when i would come to a full stop I notice that the trans would make a thump and I could feel it throughtout the truck. So I took the truck back and they tried to tell me nothing was wrong with the truck and that it might be the drive shaft that was causing the thump and that they had greased the shaft. I knew it couldn't be the drive shaft cause it would only make the thump 5-6 sec afther I came to a full stop. I keep taking the truck back for the problem and keep fighting with the dealer telling them something wasn't right, it took me 8 times taking it back until they hooked up a recorder to the truck and had me drive it around for about a week. I was right something was wrong with the trans and they ended up replacing the trans with a new one. I still have the same thump with the new trans but it doesn't alwasy do it and the truck never made the thump until I had problems with the trans.
Anyone else having this problem with your new Ram?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2012 QC Express with a 32 gallon tank getting the thump in my transmission as well. Did these threads say what might be causing this?

This is a know problem with the 32 gallon fuel tanks causing a thump which can be felt and heard... I read about it on the other ram forum.

ReadyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318,360,Hemi 5.7
Check the motor mounts and trans mount, if they actually did replace the trans then its no way ur have a trans problem. serious doubt 2 completely different trans are having the same problem. might wanna try a different dealer also before calling it a lemon

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the 6 and 5 speed are technically the same then what was done to it to make it different. What I am reading from the thread is that its pretty much all the guys with a 2012 and the new 6 speed. Someone told me the 6 speed has a new torque converter if that is true could that be a cause? Or maybe the program?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Last edited:

jcsedrn2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have 2012 ram outdoorsman 5.7. I have been having this same issue, Feels as if some one has gentle bumped into me abot five seconds after I come to a stop. I thought it was something in rear axle and took it in, dealership told me it might be the hill assist feature and told me to turn it off and drive around and see if it continues. I have but haven't driven truck that much since. Seems to do it more after truck has been running awhile and everything is heated up.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Maybe a foolish question, but did the stealership replace the torque converter with the tranny?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do you have the 32gallon gas tank? I get a slosh thump about 4 seconds after a gradual stop.:popcorn:

Mike CLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AT Trans Issues

Bought my 2012 Sport Crew Cab 1500 4x4 in Aug. Since new it was a little balky going into reverse or drive at times. Then a check eng light once in a while. Dealer not able to find anything wrong but the problem persisted and would sometimes take a minute or longer to go into gear. Finally, it would only go into 4 so I had it towed. Dealer claimed factory forgot to install filter in the trans and they found it laying in the pan. Two weeks later, balky again & check engine light again. Took it in today and now they claim the filter is blown out again, codes show LOW trans pressure. Factory telling them to replace the pump but they can't find one and I MIGHT get it back at the end of the week! Scares the daylights out of me that this is a lemon painted Flame Red!

limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Black Limited 1500
Engine
Hemi
coming up on 15,000 miles she been working great

ChristopherHill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2012 dodge ram 1500 trans problems

I bought a brand new 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and from day one I told them they seem to have shifting problems they would test drive it and tell mean they see nothing wrongwith the transmission I finally had to leave the truck with them for they missing a days work. they told me that the regulator and the pump were messed up in my transmission. They were repairing my transmission upon finishing I found out that they used remanufactured parts in my brand new transmission. When I bought the truck he had 44 miles on it I complain about the transmission for a thousand milethey would simply test drive and tell me there was nothing wrong with the truck. It took me to21,000 miles to get them to repair the transmission I'm still having issues with it and all I get from them is that they're backed up with transmission work and have no time to look at mine. But they want me to keep driving it and will not give me a rental or a loaner. I'm very dissatisfied with my truck and the DEALER SEEMS TO CARELESS ABOUT IT. I DON'T RECOMEND ANYTHING FROM FIVE STAR in Warner Robins Ga:flipthebird::flipthebird:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Its time to contact the Chrysler rep and get a copy of the GA state lemon law. :evillol:

rbruce2738

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am having the same thing with my 2500 slt hemi.
Going 45-60mph, hit the gas to speed up and the rpms raise up, then a big THUNK before it down shifts.

This happened at 1300 miles, and Im still fighting for a new transmission. The dealer is going to tear it down this weekend.

Ask the dodge dealer for Chrysler/Rams phone number, and fight them!!

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This number should help you 800-992-1997. It goes straight to Chrysler Costumer Care.

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have about 3700 miles on my 12 Hemi Express CC and have had no problems. I will say though, that the shift points take some getting used to. I have driven my truck very gently since I got it, with only the occasional "Bonzai!" run to keep everything loose, you know. Do all of these trucks seem to have a very close 2nd and 3rd gear? If I manually shift I can barely tell a difference between the two. Have to go on to 4th if I'm in the throttle.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have about 3700 miles on my 12 Hemi Express CC and have had no problems. I will say though, that the shift points take some getting used to. I have driven my truck very gently since I got it, with only the occasional "Bonzai!" run to keep everything loose, you know. Do all of these trucks seem to have a very close 2nd and 3rd gear? If I manually shift I can barely tell a difference between the two. Have to go on to 4th if I'm in the throttle.
That was the little trick Ram did to claim you have a 6 speed. It's the same transmission as the 5 speed on the 09-11 Rams, reprogrammed so you can manually access gear 1a as if it were a separate gear. There is a detailed thread on this that I can't seem to find right now.

Shift points are a little funky and it gets really confusing when MDS cuts you down to 4 cylinders when you want to down shift and move out. :confused: