Process for shifting between 2wd & 4wd? Owner's manual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a recent go round with Mopar on this "concept" .The knob and all its "ranges" is a sad sad marketing joke, (lame beyong belief--I just want 4WD ) --I was driving on sand , about 20 MPH started losing momentum(2016 Cherokee--"trail rated" etc etc ) , tried to engage 4wd, it says "to engage 4WD put foot on brake" (=stop) . then, ---so had to do that,. now stuck solidly in soft sand and stopped. had to be towed out by the nice red hook they give you (it needs that hook) . Then after stop comes "4wd temporarily not available" --really . ?? This is one sad lame joke. ----who would even consider such a terrible design 4WD user interface --or requirement, full of delays and warnings. . Someone who never drove in sand for starters, as you CANNOT stop if moving. Stopping ensures you are stuck. . more in a second on other "features"

Good 2002 system on Grand Cherokee 4.0 , would auto engage 4WD (front) if front and back driveshafts turn different speed , by a smooth 100% hydraulic action auto transmission type clutch..at any speed...even 100, without you doing anything. No electronic junk , no dog clutches, knobs , flashing red lights or dash messages. I never got stuck. Keeping that car forever. Lets you duck the V6 party too. But axles on those had only anti slip type sure grip friction system . Still much better than current. has 175 k trouble free miles on transfer case too. KEEP IT , THEN ? WHY NOT?

Even better, older Wagoneer, has 3 vacuum lock diffs (that REALLY will work, unlike mopar front axle disconnect shift ) you filp that and pull out fords and chevs on beach all day. On a ford or Chev, (dodge?) center can lock F to B , sure , but in sand you will see 2, say RF and LR spinning, they go nowhere . On wagoneer all 4 pull like crazy. This is after 35 years of weekly summer 14 mile drives over beach sand. (also lots of "subaru puddles" on beach, an observation on their 4WD /transmission in sand ) .

Last , why the low range??-- I have never used it in any vehicle, now with 9 speed trans with , what, a 4:1 first? maybe rock crawling , maybe, (we all do that) but for past 20 years, high engine power, low first gear in 9 spd will almost spin wheels with no low in transfer case ; on 16 Cherokee, it never goes into 9 rarely 8, even at 85 mph, in 7 . It is as if the transfer case design guy never talked to transmission guy about the final drive ratio. With 9 speeds , correct axle ratio, so you use the 9 speeds , why a low range ?

HEY MOPAR: Same $ as low in x fer case , spend for two vacuum or hydraulic no index friction locking diffs, front and back, manual engageable,a simple lockable fluid coupling in center ,= DONE , no electronics, no apply brakes or restrictions rooted in use of always a problem dog clutches . Mopar have had 10 kinds of ideas in this area,. none of them good. Anything that applies brakes , gets into ABS is really bad as any torque absorbed there is not pushing the car.Simplistic Idea of "other side will pull you" is all wrong again in sand,other side just starts spinning. ?put brakes on that one too?

Add in the seemingly interminable delays for electronics to really do anything--while trying to corodinate with a guy pulling you out,(or rocking car) ...or they stop you from doing what you want. = fiasco.=tow truck on beach, = 500$.

You asked a good question..All this a huge step backwards. PS 1 MPG not worth this "disconnect" stuff; 2002 4.0 six gets 20 MPG, Front is live at all times, 2016 4 cylinder gets 21. Old 1 bbl Holley carbed 68 slant six got 22.

Not to get to far off topic, but along those same lines.........
When compared to my first vehicle, which was a 1982 Chevrolet K20, my 2012 ram 1500 gets almost the same fuel mileage.
The K20 had a slightly built (350hp) engine, sm465 trans(no overdrive), a Q-jet carb, and was shaped like a brick. It consistently averaged 13mpg with mixed driving.

My ram’s fuel mileage seems fluctuate in the 12.8 to 13.9 range, depending on where I get fuel.
The ram is lifted with 35’s, but the K20 was also lifted, had 33’s, and had much lower axle gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Having had both a 1500 and a 2500 I've engaged 4wd going 70 on snow and dry pavement and have yet to hurt anything.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk