Programmer question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Hey guys,
I know there are a million threads on programmers I but wanted to add a couple of questions..
- I have a 2017 1500 Limited Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi and am looking at getting a programmer/PCM
- The only thing that I have done is installed a leveling kit (links) and will put 35" Trail Grapplers on soon.
- I'm keeping my factory rims and powder coating them so the rim weight will basically stay as it is.

Which programmer will give me an increase in performance to offset the loss after I put the tires on?

Which PCM and tune do you guys prefer? I'm not looking for extra performance - just the same as I have now but with 35" tires installed.

I know HemiFever does the combo of Programmer and Tune but are there any other companies that you recommend that do the combos?

Do I need the PCM swap along with the programmer to achieve what I want?

Thanks guys!!

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything after 2015 needs new computer or send yours off to be unlocked. Pulsar is an option, haven’t dealt with it. Search the forum, lots of people have and love them.
I prefer Diablo, but soon making the jump to HP Tuners for more hands on tuning and options.
Once you purchase a programmer and unlocked computer you’ll have option for 87 91 or 93 canned tunes *canned meaning preprogrammed* you’ll see most gains from 93 tune but only real option is a custom tune to see true gains.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
If you are geared 3.21 I would not go to 35" tires.........3.92 maybe but you will never get that low down torque with a tune on those taller/heavier tires......tune will help mostly 3000 rpms & up

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Edge pulsar doesn't support custom tuning. It's basically a glorified pedal commander that turns off mds. Personally I would buy either the Diablo i3 or the trinity and go with flyin Ryan performance. The hemifever combo will still be good and I bet you would be happy but tuners are more of a preference thing. You will need either a pcm swap or send yours off. I've seen people buy a used pcm for cheap off ebay and send that off to keep the oem one intact.

^^but as crackerjack1957 said, gears would definitely be more of a noticeable low end torque difference.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For your truck you will need the PCM and a programmer.

I used Diablosport programmers and custom tunes from either HemiFever or Diablotoona. A custom tune is definitely the way to go.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when you put on much bigger tires than stock it is best to change your gears front and rear. I'm not sure how to calculate how low of a gear you need but I'm sure someone on here will.

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Edge pulsar doesn't support custom tuning. It's basically a glorified pedal commander that turns off mds. Personally I would buy either the Diablo i3 or the trinity and go with flyin Ryan performance. The hemifever combo will still be good and I bet you would be happy but tuners are more of a preference thing. You will need either a pcm swap or send yours off. I've seen people buy a used pcm for cheap off ebay and send that off to keep the oem one intact.

^^but as crackerjack1957 said, gears would definitely be more of a noticeable low end torque difference.

Interesting thought on buying a used PCM from the bay, I just looked and saw one as low as $85...I assume so long as the PCM fits my year, model (1500) and engine size, then it’ll work? Seems like a huge savings over buying one directly from a retailer (Moe’s or Fasthemis).