Project Farm Air Filter Tests

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder what his results would be for Mopar CAI. No oil. Not paper. Reusable, just clean and dry.

Also curious how K&N cabin air filter is then...just got it and about to install it.....
I buy cabin filters for $10,why bother with a reusable one?

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Wonder what his results would be for Mopar CAI. No oil. Not paper. Reusable, just clean and dry.

Also curious how K&N cabin air filter is then...just got it and about to install it.....
I use the K&N cabin filter. It filters great. Washing is easy and will pay for itself (especially if you park outside or under trees).

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use the K&N cabin filter. It filters great. Washing is easy and will pay for itself (especially if you park outside or under trees).

Are they oiled or do you just wash and dry?

How is the fitment in the HVAC housing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are they oiled or do you just wash and dry?

How is the fitment in the HVAC housing?

Want your BW44-44 to fully lock? Contact @Brandon-w for a locking switch
Wash and dry. Some people use scented oils on them instead of air fresheners though.

Fitment is good and they are more flexible than your standard paper/cardboard filter...

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

As far as a cabin air filter goes use whatever brand you like since you don't have to worry about high silicon content killing your AC system. For that matter you really don't have to have one at all since the RAM didn't even have them standard till 2016 I think.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have notice with k/n and the like is that MAFS get alot dirtier ...
and if there's more dirt between the filter and the throttle body there's more dirt going into the engine. What type/brand of air filter does Burla run? That guy is our resident oil guy so if its good enough for him its good enough for me!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-RED-DROP-IN-AIR-FILTER-PANEL-FOR-2002-2020-DODGE-RAM-PICKUP-CLASSIC/293511446340?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought this air filter, put it side by side with a K&N, both look exactly the same. Filter is the type that can be washed and reused. Made a huge difference for me over the OEM paper throw away filter. The truck was falling on its face, now it runs like a bear!
OEM will flow all the air and more than you'll ever need(unless it was totally plugged) so i doubt this made that much difference.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Interesting enough, I'm watching my average go up with the new Wix filter in which replaced an AEM dryflow. Maybe I'll ask Project Farm to test that?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to request that guy test out Krytox as motor oil, it would cost a couple hundred bucks to lube up a lawnmower engine but it's gotta be one of the slipperiest substances in existence. The paste version is commonly used on sunroof tracks because it resists running away when it's hot, and the liquid version is used by those competitive rubiks cube people.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the AEM dry flow with a Wix after seeing the video. I know it wasn't tested but to me the construction appears identical to K&N filters and if I'm not mistaken is actually owned by K&N.

I don't know what the difference is but I do know the Wix is likely more restrictive and I want this truck to last 15 to 20 years (or more)...

Did you get the regular WIX or the FR WIX (flame retardant)?

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:
OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Was this thicker than the one you replaced?

I notice they specify this same number for the 3.6, 5.7, 6.4 and 3.0 Eco diesel
Not to my eyes but I didn't hold them up side by side. The Wix did have a lot more pleats though.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
The carbon from gasoline combustion puts more crap in your oil than a kn filter ever would! As long as you have a filter you are good unless you drive on dirt roads a lot then I would stick with a stock filter.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My filter was due (personal maintenance preference) - just over 20K miles and 20 months.

I ordered a WIX 42725 from Rock Auto. I ordered along with another filter for a different vehicle because least expensive shipping was FedEx ground, and steep for one - ordered by itself it would have cost nearly same as at local O'Reilly's.

My comparison of Mopar OE (from factory) with the WIX:

PLEATS: Mopar (Mexico), 131 pleats WIX (China), 120 pleats
DEPTH: Mopar / WIX ratio is about 1 to 1.2

So a rough calculation is ca. same surface area or maybe a 5-10 percent advantage for the WIX.

WIX construction is very good - seems that WIX and Mopar read the same book on this.

In the thumbnails, WIX filter (yellow media) is on the left, while OE filter (white media) is on the right.

RAM Air Filter 1.JPG RAM Air Filter 3.JPG