Project just about done.....first post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K in Iowa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long story. I'll keep it short. My FIL died at 94 years old on his farm. He had an 84 Dodge truck he drove until he died. My wife liked that truck....probably because it was her dads. After he died it went to a nephew who basically trashed it. It wouldn't run at all.

Soooo, I bought it and am restoring it. Turned out to be a 1984 "Marksman". As you may know, they were sold with a certificate to send it to get a Remington 30-30 rifle. I found the rifle and bought it too. Never been fired. Still in the box.

My wife has no idea it's being restored. Kids and grand kids have kept the secret for a few months now. They're all coming home in August for the reveal.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 30 30 Rifle.jpg
    30 30 Rifle.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 25

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's great. I love old Mopar products being restored. It's great that you're doing it for your wife, I'm sure she will be thrilled!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wrap the gun up as a surprise gift, see if she puts two and two together ,then unveil the truck. Very cool of you to do this project, your wife is going to be very happy I bet.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's cool!

Can't wait to find out how it all went.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s awesome! Love that model ram!

OP
OP
K

K in Iowa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did most of the mechanical work. It needed new fuel tank, sender and fuel lines. While I was there I did all new brake lines and brakes. New carb, and fixed a few assorted leaks. Transmission was done by a shop. It only needed adjustment and fluid changed. I'm terrible at body work. Had a hard time finding a shop that would do this, but found a young couple just starting up a body shop. He'd worked for several car dealers in town and was going out on his own. He was happy to have the work, I was happy to help with the start up. I told him if he got other work, to do that first, and I'd take my time. Worked well for both of us. Today he sprayed in a bed liner and had the whole thing detailed at no extra charge.

OP
OP
K

K in Iowa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reveal was today. For the first time in the 42 years we've been married my wife was utterly speechless. Our two daughters and six grandkids met at a park close by. The daughters got in the cab and the kids all piled in the back. With the 30-30 racked in the cab, they drove up to our house. I had my wife outside to "take a look at this". Tears came, but no words for several minutes. Proud of the grandkids, they kept the secret for 2 1/2 months.

Attachments

• IMG_6609.JPG
    IMG_6609.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 16

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That was cool, you doing what you could & finding the sources to do the rest.
I can only imagine what your wife was thinking

To me that would be like someone driving up with the '41 Ford Coupe that a Navy buddy & I co-owned & asking if i wanted it back
I had to make a short trip to Connecticut & he was sent out to sea while i was gone
That Ford was at a storage place & some how the Ford got towed

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The reveal was today. For the first time in the 42 years we've been married my wife was utterly speechless. Our two daughters and six grandkids met at a park close by. The daughters got in the cab and the kids all piled in the back. With the 30-30 racked in the cab, they drove up to our house. I had my wife outside to "take a look at this". Tears came, but no words for several minutes. Proud of the grandkids, they kept the secret for 2 1/2 months.
For me that would be the equivalent of getting any of the 3 '70 GTX's I had. A beautiful truck and I'm sure her Dad would be proud of you all!