Projector retrofit hid help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in the midst of gathering all the parts needed to do a projector retrofit using morimoto mini h1 8.0 projectors. It was recommended to me to use hyluxx 35w kit ($130). Is there a major difference between the hyluxx kit or a cheaper ddm or even Amazon hid kit? I currently have a set of hyb 55w ballasts that worked perfectly in my truck when using them in my quads, but took them out due to heat issues. I had innovited, but was less than impressed with their output in the alpharex headlights I had. My truck is already set up via alfaobd for led/hid, so keep that in mind.
Basically, is the more expensive hylux kit worth it over the cheaper stuff?

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd run what you have and see how it works out. I've been running morimoto 55w ballasts for 5 years and still going strong. If your fail they are easy enough to swap out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve had Hylux ballasts for a while now. I ran a 35w for 2 years when one of my Morimoto ballasts burned out. Now I’ve got a pair of the 45w that I’ve had for over a year without issue. Hylux is the bran I always recommend over the rest of them.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not worried about the ballasts failing, more worried about burning up the projectors.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I'm not worried about the ballasts failing, more worried about burning up the projectors.

The projectors shouldn't burn out. The Hylux ballasts from everything I read are quality ballasts.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The projectors shouldn't burn out. The Hylux ballasts from everything I read are quality ballasts.
I was referring to the 55w ballasts that I have. Part of me wants to cheap out and use what I have, but then the other part of me says to just spend the money and get the new hid kit that was spec'd out to me..

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I was referring to the 55w ballasts that I have. Part of me wants to cheap out and use what I have, but then the other part of me says to just spend the money and get the new hid kit that was spec'd out to me..

Sorry, the way it read I thought you were talking about the projectors themselves. I had 55watt ballasts running in my headlight build (55w Morimotos) running 55w Morimoto XB D2s bulbs. Everything worked great. The only thing I would be aware of is if you are running 35w bulbs with the 50-55w ballasts will probably shorten the bulbs life. But the light output should be awesome.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry, the way it read I thought you were talking about the projectors themselves. I had 55watt ballasts running in my headlight build (55w Morimotos) running 55w Morimoto XB D2s bulbs. Everything worked great. The only thing I would be aware of is if you are running 35w bulbs with the 50-55w ballasts will probably shorten the bulbs life. But the light output should be awesome.
Appreciate the feedback. I read your thread the other day and am doing a somewhat similar, slightly more basic build.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, parts are all ordered, ended up keeping the 55w ballasts I have, worst case scenario, I swap out out the ballasts if I see signs of heat damage. Be keeping a close eye on them first few days. Also ordered a set of diode dynamics hp24 switchback 3157s. Hopefully they work well and somewhat like they are supposed to.