Pros and Cons of a 180 T-Stat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been researching and understand both reasons to have a 180 tstat, and a reason to keep the stock one. Just curious what yall think about 180 Tstat? Are we really smarter than the engineers at Chrysler?[/QUOTE

Keep the stock one.... the truck will last longer for it.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Intresting, why does it increase power, but decrease mileage?.

The two will always go hand in hand. You cant have both.

And on the subject of T-stats... I’d much rather a slightly hotter running engine with better MPG then messing with a good setup for the sake of a tiny power gain. Not worth the effort plus the re-tune. Just my 2c

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The two will always go hand in hand. You cant have both.

And on the subject of T-stats... I’d much rather a slightly hotter running engine with better MPG then messing with a good setup for the sake of a tiny power gain. Not worth the effort plus the re-tune. Just my 2c

In a stock truck it really isn't worth it, it's when you start getting into some serious modifications that it can be beneficial.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
The old saying, "you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink" is all that's necessary here.

How many seized rollers have occurred with a 180 thermostat? Anyone wanna take a guess, now why do you think that is?

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
For what it's worth, I've had the 180 degree t-stat for well over a year to support many, many mods, and I've done the fan delete as well. We get the slightly larger electric fan on our trucks (post '16 I think?) to supplement the A/C core already, just don't have the best shroud to direct the flow. Since the delete, running a truck with a supercharger and going through St. Louis hot and cold (over 100, and under 0 F), I've had zero issues with overheating/truck cooling system keeping up and making enough heat in the winter. I personally like the lower temps, I hope I'm not dramatically affecting long term reliability, but knowing several engineers who deal with engine design and the balance of engine peak performance versus emissions and efficiency, AND having run colder thermostats on most of my vehicles for decades, I'm still a fan of colder.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
For what it's worth, I've had the 180 degree t-stat for well over a year to support many, many mods, and I've done the fan delete as well. We get the slightly larger electric fan on our trucks (post '16 I think?) to supplement the A/C core already, just don't have the best shroud to direct the flow. Since the delete, running a truck with a supercharger and going through St. Louis hot and cold (over 100, and under 0 F), I've had zero issues with overheating/truck cooling system keeping up and making enough heat in the winter. I personally like the lower temps, I hope I'm not dramatically affecting long term reliability, but knowing several engineers who deal with engine design and the balance of engine peak performance versus emissions and efficiency, AND having run colder thermostats on most of my vehicles for decades, I'm still a fan of colder.

The biggest reason for the colder thermostat from a performance side is to decrease combustion temps, higher combustion temps can lead to detonation. Detonation can lead to holes in a block.

I really don’t think running a 180 vs the stock 203 is going to degrade engine longevity. Oil still gets up to temp to burn off moisture. Helps lower intake air temps, which again in boosted applications is quite desirable.

Sure the stock engine is designed to run with the 203 thermostat to reach a balance between maximum efficiency,low emissions and power. If you’re after performance though, efficiency and emissions aren’t your primary goal.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
N

Interesting, noticeably? Almost sounds like idea that used to work on carb engines, but not on programmed fuel injected... But what do I know, I'm a GIS tech

Hmm!

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
If you want to putz around on the factory soft PCM/TCM tune hoping your rollers don’t seize up for eternity this ain’t the thread for you Sherm. :D

This 345 race engine was designed to be worked hard, the EPA tamed it down unfortunately. Having the heads and injector rails heat soaked into the composite intake is about as inefficient for power and reliability as it gets. Add in the lack of oiling to the valve train at hot idle pressures due to the design already discussed in multiple threads/videos and you’re destined for failure.

*All my opinion of course, raise the idle rpm if you have to let it sit.

Last edited: