Pros and cons on new 3500 DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Sandahl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just signed up, first post. Ive had Chevy dually crew cabs since 2004 (04 gas, 05,11,15 diesel). My shop is at home so the truck is mainly to pull a 48' gooseneck race trailer with living quarters. I generally put about 6000 miles per year on them. My warranty just expired on the truck I have now and I just went through the DEF nonsense which went into limp mode pulling out of my driveway just after unhooking the trailer. I build cars for a living but the new trucks are no fun to work on and they don't give the parts away so I would rather just get another new truck. I was always a Mopar guy having lots of Cudas and Challengers. The deals are out there right now and I am ready to do something. Appreciate any input.
Jon

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pros:
You're already a Mopar guy.
Cleanest engine bay out of the big 3.
Cummins is still the most reliable diesel engine out there.

Cons:
Still no full rear bench seat.
No rear flat floor.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
A gooseneck that long could easily exceed the tire weight rating of a SRW, depending how it is outfitted.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I recommend the 6.7 HO CTD a ton more torque and better fuel mileage ta boot.
There’s a lot of varying opinions on srw or drw but you know how that goes.
But the question at hand is
Better resale more comfortable ride better towing with the HO motor
Buying a Ram always has better discounts that any other maker.
The asin trans is simply awesome.
They typically come with 3.43 gears but depending on where you live I’d actually look for one with 3.73 gears
Are you thinking about going 4x4 or 2WD??

The Blue Mule

OP
OP
J

Jon Sandahl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 1 ton single rear wheel that I would pull a 32' trailer with. The air off a tractor trailer would really move me around, always cautious as they came up on me. The first time towing with a dually I saw the truck coming but nothing happened. The trailer with race car, golf cart, tools, fully loaded is almost 20,000. Just today I put the heated seat on and the radio shut off, scanned it and got a radio, seat, and electronic brake module code. Its time to go. Im leaving for the track shortly which is 90 miles away, probably be at the stealership Sunday.

OP
OP
J

Jon Sandahl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Done deal. pulled into the dealer late yesterday afternoon, got what I hoped for in trade and picked up a Larame crew cab long box DRW Cummins, pick it up Monday am. Gooseneck ball will be here tomorrow and back to the track next weekend.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you find one with the gooseneck prep package? Post a pic once you get a chance. Congratulations.

MK70SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
D14-FF485-1906-491-B-A250-180-FED71-BAC1.jpg
00-BBC454-CD6-D-4-E96-B110-9-B178060-ABB5.jpg
I pull a 38 foot horse trailer with living quarters. Traded an F350 dually 6.7 for the Ram. No regrets, pulls great and more features.

Last edited: